Medium Transport Truck

Fush

This went through a couple versions before I settled on a final design.

Version 1 (original OP):

This was a sort of experiment of mine, I just wanted to try my hand at making a model using the LRR color scheme.

You be the judge of how well I did.

BrB01QU.png

Front. I don't know what the yellow piece on the front is normally used for, or if it comes in yellow, but it fit so I used it. Also the cyan sloped block should have the air vent printing on it, but that is not in LDD, soo...

PSayIC5.png

Back. The bed of the truck is on a slider to slide in and out. The black piece stops it from sliding out all the way and falling off. When it is slid out, it can be dumped.

sbMbbeI.png

Download the XLF file

Also, I would like to ask a favor. The wheels are attached kind of oddly. I wanted to do some kind of Roboriders-style suspension using rubber bands but really didn't know how, so I left them as is. If anyone has the necessary pieces, could you build this IRL and tell me if the wheels work fine?

Version 2:

rLiTiui.png

aYrSxCs.png

o2RTpfe.png

>Now significantly lager than small transport truck

>More room for cargo

>Redid wheels to allow for suspension, should work if I had rubber bands in LDD....

>Lighter grey added to color scheme

>Added saws

>Redid front, looks better now

>Simpler undercarriage, no more unnecessary fluff.

Version 2.1:

DlVU3j2.png

>Altered color scheme, less black

>Replaced saws with lasers because lasers are sexier than saws

>Redid front yet again because it was bothering me

>Part choice slightly altered to fit new color scheme

>Added blocks to restrict the movement of wheels so they don't implode

LXF file

Final version (2.2):

VN1GU9G.png

• Like 3

Download the XLF file

I believe they're called LXF files. :P

On the truck itself, it's not really that much of a Medium Transport Truck.... apart from the tools and the 2 seats it still holds the same cargo...

Still, I just might be being fussy.

The front of the truck looks great. :D And a good use of that 2-seater piece thingy. (Funny, I've never seen that piece except in two sets). The little ladders on the side are also quite nice. :)

The back looks a little big for only one bucket. Aesthetics aside,I think you could have lowered that quite a bit. Still, the aesthetics of height are important. Can it hold any other cargo on the back? Could you perhaps replace some of the middle bricks for a safe to hold another Energy Crystal?

The wheels are attached kind of oddly. I wanted to do some kind of Roboriders-style suspension using rubber bands but really didn't know how, so I left them as is. If anyone has the necessary pieces, could you build this IRL and tell me if the wheels work fine?

Hmm.. If I'm thinking what you're thinking it'd be very blocky. (What I'm thinking is the suspension system in this. It works like this, which is easily seen on the back wheel.)

It would work, but it'd be very blocky and obtrusive to the aesthetics. I wouldn't recommend having any suspension with that size of vehicle, but I can see why you'd want it...)

Also, finding space to actually put the elastic band stuff, without hitting the wheels or protruding from the front looks impossible.

Despite this primarily negative criticism, I would be proud to have this in my RR fleet. :)

Very interesting, I like it. However I agree that, for an increase in size, it should probably be able to hold more cargo.

The newer pieces certainly give it a more 'LEGO Rock Raiders - Revitalised' look, which in this case works well. I think you've balanced it out nicely too, it's got bulk but it's not too much.

Other than the storage capacity, my only other suggestion is to throw in some light grey in there, just as much of the LEGO Rock Raiders sets did. Personally I'd start with the cockpit and back bucket, and move on from there.

I believe they're called LXF files. :P

I stand corrected. Too lazy to fix, though, so I

ll leave it for now.

On the truck itself, it's not really that much of a Medium Transport Truck.... apart from the tools and the 2 seats it still holds the same cargo... Still, I just might be being fussy.

Eh, I didn't really intend for it to be a transport truck in the first place. It was just an ATV at first. Then I realized that it didn't really have any function so I stuck a cargo hold on it.

That said, the cargo thing makes it a much better model overalll, though I still have a copy of the cargoless one.

The name comes from the fact that I am uncreative and couldn't think of a good name, so since it was like a small transport truck but sliiightly larger, I called it this. Yeah.

I will try and add more carrying capacity.

The front of the truck looks great. And a good use of that 2-seater piece thingy. (Funny, I've never seen that piece except in two sets). The little ladders on the side are also quite nice.

Thank you :D

The seat piece I've seen on a couple sets, but oddly, all of them were from the adventurers theme. Hm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The ladder is a means of getting into the drivers seat, as it's too high to get into otherwisser.

The back looks a little big for only one bucket. Aesthetics aside,I think you could have lowered that quite a bit. Still, the aesthetics of height are important. Can it hold any other cargo on the back? Could you perhaps replace some of the middle bricks for a safe to hold another Energy Crystal?

Unfortunately, the majority of the back is taken up by the slider. I can't really move the slider down without completely rearanging the rest of the vihicle, sorry.

I can try to pout some added cargo space on it, though.

Hmm.. If I'm thinking what you're thinking it'd be very blocky. (What I'm thinking is the suspension system in this. It works like this, which is easily seen on the back wheel.) It would work, but it'd be very blocky and obtrusive to the aesthetics. I wouldn't recommend having any suspension with that size of vehicle, but I can see why you'd want it...) Also, finding space to actually put the elastic band stuff, without hitting the wheels or protruding from the front looks impossible.

Looking at that model, yes, that is along the lines of what I was hoping to do. And yes, I too don't see any room to make it work. Sadness.

Despite this primarily negative criticism, I would be proud to have this in my RR fleet.

:D

Very interesting, I like it. However I agree that, for an increase in size, it should probably be able to hold more cargo.

Noted. More cargo it is.

The newer pieces certainly give it a more 'LEGO Rock Raiders - Revitalised' look, which in this case works well. I think you've balanced it out nicely too, it's got bulk but it's not too much.

:D Thanks.

"Rock Raiders Revised?" Hm.... that's an interesting thought. Hm. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Other than the storage capacity, my only other suggestion is to throw in some light grey in there, just as much of the LEGO Rock Raiders sets did. Personally I'd start with the cockpit and back bucket, and move on from there.

CRAP I forgot the bucket was supposed to be light grey. Noted, I'll lighten up the greys a bit.

Thanks for the feedback guys :D

Well I took all your suggestions into account, and present version two of the Medium Transport Truck.

It's still not perfect but it's a whole lot better.

rLiTiui.png

aYrSxCs.png

o2RTpfe.png

>More room for cargo

>Redid wheels to allow for suspension, should work if I had rubber bands in LDD....

>Added saws

EDIT: due to having the same file name, dropbox replaced this version's file with the slightly altered version, found below.

Well I took all your suggestions into account, and present version two of the Medium Transport Truck.

It's still not perfect but it's a whole lot better.

<three awesome images here>

>More room for cargo

>Added saws

LXF file

:D This is a lot better.

I would personally say remove the chainsaws from the front, or rotate them so that they don't face forward, OR put them at the very front so it becomes a drilling machine. :P

You know how cars have faeces faces? That car's face looks like a derp. :P The grills are nice and it's a great improvement.

I think that little black piece at the top of the front - that piece with 4 studs on it and little angles to the side (I hope you get what I'm talking about) should be changed to dark grey.

Speaking of black, the tool attachments and part of the slider on the back should change their colour. RR wasn't black unless it was barely noticeable or for a good reason.

A good upgrade to the cargo hold and well done there.

I notice you attached a couple of elastic band holders to the main chassis. But I still don't see space where you can attach them to the wheel stuff.

*starts laughing* Your avatar fits this soooo much. It might not be what you intended, but it makes me laugh.

As I said before, this model is a lot better than the first. Well done.

Looks like a third version of this is needed, huh. I SHALL CONTINUE TO ADJUST THIS MODEL IN INCREMENTS UNTIL IT IS AS NEAR TO PERFECTION AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

Ahem.

would personally say remove the chainsaws from the front, or rotate them so that they don't face forward, OR put them at the very front so it becomes a drilling machine.

I was following the example of the Tunnel Scout here, which had saws on the front despite them serving no purpose. They do look a bit silly so I will consider removing them.

You know how cars have faeces faces? That car's face looks like a derp. :P

ALucWjm.png

I think that little black piece at the top of the front - that piece with 4 studs on it and little angles to the side (I hope you get what I'm talking about) should be changed to dark grey. Speaking of black, the tool attachments and part of the slider on the back should change their colour. RR wasn't black unless it was barely noticeable or for a good reason.

Got it, I'll tone back the black a bit. I have noticed I use a lot of black, no matter what I am building. I find it to be a very neutral color and is good when I can't decide what color a piece should be, I make it black.

Less black then, that's good. Should the technic bricks on the bottom be a grey or are those fine?

I notice you attached a couple of elastic band holders to the main chassis. But I still don't see space where you can attach them to the wheel stuff.

I hope this clears things up.

taslFrh.png

Looks like a third version of this is needed, huh. I SHALL CONTINUE TO ADJUST THIS MODEL IN INCREMENTS UNTIL IT IS AS NEAR TO PERFECTION AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

Your avatar. Heh. :P

I hope this clears things up. taslFrh.png

Ah, so you did get it working. Well done!

Should the technic bricks on the bottom be a grey or are those fine?

I do think that they're fine as black, though dark grey would also work... Your choice!

Neh, you don't need a third version, just a version 2.1.

eh, you don't need a third version, just a version 2.1.

Version 2.1 it is, then!

DlVU3j2.png

>Altered color scheme, less black

>Replaced saws with lasers because lasers are sexier than saws

>Redid front yet again because it was bothering me

>Part choice slightly altered to fit new color scheme

>Added blocks to restrict the movement of wheels so they don't implode

LXF file

• Like 3

Replaced saws with lasers because lasers are sexier than saws

*shakes head* Naa. They don't fit a Transport Truck style. Plus, they're not even RR lasers - the handhelds have a 1x1 stud on them.

There's no point having weapons on something like this. They're not made for offense. I'd say remove them and their attachments and put something else there. Put a 1x1 grey (light or dark - I'd say dark) stud there and change the 1x1x2/3 sloping brick to dark grey as well.

OR you could make them into headlights.

He says we've already got one!
:P So don't make them into headlights.

Added blocks to restrict the movement of wheels so they don't implode

Oh, I thought you did that already.

No, that original sloping brick thingy worked fine. Just change the colour!

Nice lights on the back - Health and Safety at work! :P

Now that car's face looks even more like a derp because its nose goes higher than its eyes. :P

There's two ugly studs on the top of the front of the car. Put something there because THEY SUCK. :P But by doing so you'd probably need to raise the center a bit...

O.T.
Well this amount of ':P's is certainly enough to offset my signature :P

I preferred v2.0 to v2.1 except v2.1 has a slightly better colour scheme.

*shakes head* Naa. They don't fit a Transport Truck style. Plus, they're not even RR lasers - the handhelds have a 1x1 stud on them. There's no point having weapons on something like this. They're not made for offense. I'd say remove them and their attachments and put something else there.

It was more a joke really. I don't plan to keep the lasers there at all.

I'd say remove them and their attachments and put something else there. Put a 1x1 grey (light or dark - I'd say dark) stud there and change the 1x1x2/3 sloping brick to dark grey as well.

But hose slopes should stay yellow- I've tried recoloring them. Yellow is the only color that looks decent.

I will remove the lasers themselves but keep the claw block there, even if there is noting attached to it. I like it.

No, that original sloping brick thingy worked fine. Just change the colour!

I think I know what you mean, here, but that isn't really an option. The previous undercarriage left no room for the rubber band holders, and now, the rubber band holders leave no room for the original undercarriage. What I have now is fine, I think.

There's two ugly studs on the top of the front of the car. Put something there because THEY SUCK.

I like those studs, actually. They were put there intentionally to give a little texture, and because it looks even dumber without them. I've tried putting things on them and nothing looks right.

All in all, I have to disagree with you overall. I like this version much better than before (lasers notwithstanding)

EDIT: sorry if I sounded a bit stubborn.

I played around with the front a bit, how does this look?

1tcYS1j.png

I'm still probably going to put the black clamps back and change the slopes back to yellow, but at least I'm trying different things to see what works.

I played around with the front a bit, how does this look? 1tcYS1j.png

Yessssss. Yyeeeeeesssssssssss.

Awesome. Truly awesome. The way you rounded that corner there That is a great front. Funnily enough, that black 2x2 circle actually fits it! :D

change the slopes back to yellow

I think they work as grey.

I don't have anything to add at the moment other than a new, cleaner shot of the truck.

VN1GU9G.png

I think I am done with this model. I do not think that there is anything I can add or change to make it any better. The fact that this model now contains exactly 111 pieces is a big factor in this decision, I don't want to change anything and throw off the part count.

I am ready to move on to other projects now.

I think I will try my hand with more custom LRR vehicles, seeing as this one seemingly went well. So expect another model soon. Very soon.

I don't have anything to add at the moment other than a new, cleaner shot of the truck.

VN1GU9G.png

I think I am done with this model. I do not think that there is anything I can add or change to make it any better. The fact that this model now contains exactly 111 pieces is a big factor in this decision, I don't want to change anything and throw off the part count.

I am ready to move on to other projects now.

I think I will try my hand with more custom LRR vehicles, seeing as this one seemingly went well. So expect another model soon. Very soon.

Ah good, you removed those lasers.

This looks great.

O.T.

Now can you make a Medium Small Digger? :P

The final version of this truck looks truly amazing. I've been checking this topic as soon as you started it, but I wanted to wait for the final result to express my opinion.

O.T.
@aidenpons Fun Fact #6: There is no tounge smiley :P

O.T.

Now can you make a Medium Small Digger? :P

iPeWlUg.png

What... What can I say...

Since you posted it I might as well give you some feedback:

The front looks very blocky and the drills are rather high up.

The tube on the side works, to my surprise.

Oh, and what's that little block just below the elastic band pin on the chassis for?

Despite this primarily negative criticism, I would be proud to have this in my RR fleet. :)

...Not this time.

:P

O.T.

@aidenpons Fun Fact #6: There is no tounge smiley :P

Updated just for you :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.