Rail Runner

Fush

I have been playing around with the idea of "Rock Raider Trains" for a long time now, and, well, finally made something from it.

rTI88xs.png

It's not very original, basically I took the small transport truck and put it on rails. Removed the bucket, and put another front on the back (so it can go both ways). Also put the seat on a turntable to face whatever direction you are going and replaced the steering wheel (since who needs to steer a train?) with a lever that simply tells the cab which way to roll. Put little clasps on to attach more cars. And POW new vehicle.

I included a laser car as an example.

The laser is pulled off of the SMLC (sort of, IDK how the actual laser part is attached to I improvised that part) and put on a train car, yeah.

I plan to make more cars for different, specialized purposes. Feel free to suggest one. Currently plan on doing:

-Freight car, with buckets to carry ore and HOPEFULLY a dumping function

-passenger car, to carry additional Raiders

-Drill car, that attaches to FRONT of vehicle to be pushed against walls.

-Small vehicle transport car

...yeah.

Power Car:

rGywIu7.png

Cargo Car:

PRDXiAd.png

*** :strobe: WARNING: LONG RANT AHEAD :strobe: ***

First off, you didn't guess how many versions you're going to make of this after I post here. :P

I'll start with the cab.

What 'bout Health & Safety there? I think a sort of 'train cab' style would work. Also, you only have one light

(since who needs to steer a train?)

Have you never been on a train? You need some interface for the points to a) go down different routes, and b) go into sidles (or whatever they're called, when two trains are heading toward each other so one of them nips into a little side track)

Personally I don't think the STT design works for a train front. Wait, it it's the front, then why can't something be attached to it? Also, I refuse to believe that something that size can hold and engine for a train. Oh, and the fuel tank too.

It would work for little one-person transports (Train as Train-Driver (oh wow, that'd be awesome if you could lay train tracks and have trains... get the RR to stand in front of it as 1st Person view... :P))

[/offtopic]

As I was saying, it's too small for a train with lots of carriages. Okay, if you got one small carriage with a STT-type bucket then it might work...

O.T.
OH WOW I accidentally misspelt that as 'migh twork'

and put another front on the back (so it can go both ways).

What? That isn't how trains work. What happens is that it parks and then the engine drives around to what is the back of the vehicle and now the front. How d'you think anyone could see past those lasers and gigantic buckets?

Drill car, that attaches to FRONT of vehicle to be pushed against walls.

:cry: How can a train drill at the front? It needs to run on rails. Iron wheels on iron tracks. As soon as the front, which has the engine in it, goes off then the entire train will not move!

[/ot]Iron-x wheels on Xiron ahahahahahaha I'm so punny[/ot]

When you first said 'drill car' I thought you meant something which could fold out an acceptable distance (it needs to be able to, because the walls must be very wide to accommodate those lasers) and drill a wall ~30 studs away. Or you could just have a Small Digger cargo hold...

If you really want to keep the STT design, I'd recommend putting something on the two studs which have the wheels on them. Removing the black plate would also be a good idea. Yes, you lose stability but you also gain height. What happens if there's something in the path? *gets idea*

The idea is that the front cab is a sort of crane-like structure that can pick up small bits of rock, Slimy Slugs, and other pesky things that could damage the train. Back to the plate, I think it should be recoloured yellow. Black just doesn't suit it.

What even is the point of that little light on one side? Make it on both sides. It has no point as one side.

Now to the laser car.

The base of it is quite nice, but it's just a little small, I think. Because of the laser's size, it may tip a small train (like this one) off because of its center of gravity.

For some reason the black plate on the bottom suits it well, whereas it didn't before...

The attachment from the car to the laser itself is a little bland. If I had that, it would keep falling off the turntable to no end.

There's too much black on the laser. Dark grey would suit it better. I know that the original had a lot of black, but for some reason this just doesn't work.

EDIT: I see you made a power car. The hoses connecting the power looks a little tight - what happens when the train goes round a sharp corner? If the laser car was a little bigger (and thus the center further away) you could attach them to somewhere where they would be a little slacker. Going round the side doesn't seem to work.

The car overall it nice, but it has no way to input crystals. No RR wants to be shocked by opening the doors and shoving a crystal inside! (Electrically shocked, that is. Not emotionally.) Also the boxes aren't full covered - for some reason that doesn't suit it. You don't want the precious energy seeping out through the roof?

Oh, and what happened to the RR's hat that he was wearing?

Awesome, and made even more awesome with the inclusion of the power car.

Great job, Sushi. If anything I'd say that the driver's car looks a little low/bare, but that's just being picky.

Time to reply? Time to reply.

First off, you didn't guess how many versions you're going to make of this after I post here.

Guess: Not many. There isn't much room for any drastic changes to be made akin to the changes of the medium transport truck. Considering that this is basically "small truck on rails" and that is exactly what I have as of current... yeah.

What 'bout Health & Safety there? I think a sort of 'train cab' style would work. Also, you only have one light

I should get this out of the way right now: this is not the only train I intend to make. Different trains serve different purposes, and while I intend to make more conventional trains in the future, this one is one is just a small transport that runs on rails. It is basically, as I said, a STT, only it's a train. Small transport train? eh. Point is, it's a quick way to get around on the rails but lacks the power of a larger, more traditional engine. And that's that. This addresses several other points as well, so I will use the word... "mayos" to refer back to this paragraph.

Second point, the lights. Why do I need another light? Although it wouldn't hurt, it's not necessary.

Have you never been on a train? You need some interface for the points to a) go down different routes, and b) go into sidles (or whatever they're called, when two trains are heading toward each other so one of them nips into a little side track)

I was under the impression that all of that had to do with the rails themselves and the train only had to move forward. That rail operators decide where the train goes and not the train driver. I could be wrong though. Either way trains do not usually have steering wheels, but a few levers instead.

Personally I don't think the STT design works for a train front. Wait, it it's the front, then why can't something be attached to it? Also, I refuse to believe that something that size can hold and engine for a train. Oh, and the fuel tank too.

Mayo. To elaborate: this is not supposed to pull an entire train, just a car or two. It does not need all of the power of a full size train.

I do not understand what you mean by 'attach something to it.' Care to explain? If you mean put something on the front, then it is because I want this to be able to travel both directions equally well.

It would work for little one-person transports

Okay, if you got one small carriage with a STT-type bucket then it might work...

Mayo. This is essentially exactly what it is supposed to be, so it does work.

What happens is that it parks and then the engine drives around to what is the back of the vehicle and now the front. How d'you think anyone could see past those lasers and gigantic buckets?

If I am understanding you correctly, you are asking what happens if the train turns around, the back becomes the front, and it essentially is pushing it's cargo, correct?

Answer: That is not supposed to happen. When it reaches it's destination the cars are detached and can then be re-attached to iether end later. It can drive both ways so that it doesn't have to ever turn around.

How can a train drill at the front? It needs to run on rails. Iron wheels on iron tracks. As soon as the front, which has the engine in it, goes off then the entire train will not move!

Build track leading into a wall, that is how. It's been done before. I think......................

Drill car might not be the best idea, sure. But not entirely unworkable.

Or you could just have a Small Digger cargo hold...

It shall- as a separate car. That is the great thing about trains, you can add or remove cars to suit your current purpose.

If you really want to keep the STT design, I'd recommend putting something on the two studs which have the wheels on them. Removing the black plate would also be a good idea. Yes, you lose stability but you also gain height.

I would think, that if I really wanted to keep the STT design, that I would keep it as close to the STT as possible. These two suggestions make it less similar to the STT.

That said, I do not necessarily want to keep this identical to the STT- I merely chose the STT because it fit the rails perfectly.

I do not need to put anything on the axles- exposed studs are not a bad thing. Sometimes simplicity is good.

And removing the black plate from the bottom would completely wreck the entire model, so no to that as well.

Too many quotes, have to double post

Back to the plate, I think it should be recoloured yellow. Black just doesn't suit it.

It's one thing that my own creations use too much black, but this is literally copied from an official LRR set. If it worked there, there is no reason it should not work here.

The base of it is quite nice, but it's just a little small, I think. Because of the laser's size, it may tip a small train (like this one) off because of its center of gravity.

True, but there isn't much i can do about that. It's a big laser on a small train.

The attachment from the car to the laser itself is a little bland. If I had that, it would keep falling off the turntable to no end.

Agreed. Problem is trying to make a more stable looking connection, that allows full movement, and isn't terribly huge. But I will work on it.

There's too much black on the laser. Dark grey would suit it better. I know that the original had a lot of black, but for some reason this just doesn't work.

Same thing I said for the other black plate.

The hoses connecting the power looks a little tight - what happens when the train goes round a sharp corner? If the laser car was a little bigger (and thus the center further away) you could attach them to somewhere where they would be a little slacker. Going round the side doesn't seem to work.

Yeah. When I was attaching them I barely got them far enough to attach. I'm sure turning the slightest corner would pop them.

The car overall it nice, but it has no way to input crystals

I imagine it would just plug into a power station to recharge.

Also the boxes aren't full covered - for some reason that doesn't suit it. You don't want the precious energy seeping out through the roof?

I don't see how that is a problem, I think the things on the power station itself are uncovered, but okay, I'll look into it.

Oh, and what happened to the RR's hat that he was wearing?

I forgot to save the original build which i took the shot of, and had to rebuild it. Forgot the hat. If it makes you feel better I went back and gave him another.

Yeah.

mayo

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, so this is a small train...

Second point, the lights. Why do I need another light? Although it wouldn't hurt, it's not necessary.

Mebbe I'm being fussy but I think it should have two lights or none at all.What's the point of one, non-centered light?

I could be wrong though. Either way trains do not usually have steering wheels, but a few levers instead.

Fair enough that they won't have steering wheels, but they should probably have a sideways lever. A Super Station Master ( :P) could control it, but Planet U is a big place and there shouldn't be too many running at once.

I do not understand what you mean by 'attach something to it.' Care to explain?

I think I meant 'why do you want to attach something to the front? It's the front.' However I now see your design and that makes sense.

One point - You say that the cars move around. How? You can't run them across anything that isn't a rail track (good luck trying), so do you have another little train there or what?

Build track leading into a wall, that is how. It's been done before. I think.....................

Yes... unless you have a sort of fold-out-able track then you can't really do much.

And removing the black plate from the bottom would completely wreck the entire model, so no to that as well.

Ah. You can probably keep it black - it's just that it sort of 'pokes out' of the front.

It's one thing that my own creations use too much black, but this is literally copied from an official LRR set. If it worked there, there is no reason it should not work here.

Whoever said it worked there? It's just that you never really use it anyway. I see what you mean about it being official, but who says official is good? I still think it'd look better in dark grey. I think the problem is that the comparatively light grey clashes with the midnight black.

True, but there isn't much I can do about that. It's a big laser on a small train.

Then make a new, small laser for a small train!

Problem is trying to make a more stable looking connection, that allows full movement, and isn't terribly huge.

The 'huge' bit is difficult. Technic cross Lego is your best bet for stability, but not so much for turning and size.

Yeah. When I was attaching them I barely got them far enough to attach. I'm sure turning the slightest corner would pop them.

Perhaps starting them from the middle of the boxes might help?

I don't see how that is a problem, I think the things on the power station itself are uncovered, but okay, I'll look into it.

I think just copy the original Power Station design. It seems to work for me.

If it makes you feel better I went back and gave him another.

Yes. Yes. My soul is touched by this act of kindness. Thank you for doing such a benevolent deed which will be remembered throughout history.

Special Delivery.

PRDXiAd.png

Made a cargo car. Still have yet to change anything on the cab itself.......

In other news, I thank "Rail Runner" might be a better name, thoughts?

• Like 2

In other news, I thank "Rail Runner" might be a better name, thoughts?

Na, Rail Rider sound fine by me.

Made a cargo car.

That car is great. Does the bucket tip both ways sideways, or only one way?

Still have yet to change anything on the cab itself

I still think you need another light on the other side...

Na, Rail Rider sound fine by me.

Oh, well i already changed the name. I like 'Rail Runner.' Like, really like it. So I'll use that name :D :D

That car is great. Does the bucket tip both ways sideways, or only one way?

Thanks :D The bucket only tips one way, unfortunately. I tried and tried again to make one that dumped both ways and it just wasnt working out.

I still think you need another light on the other side...

What I meant was, I intend to update the cab and just haven't yet. I will probably remove that light and put something more sensible in it's place. Dunno what yet......

I will probably remove that light and put something more sensible in it's place. Dunno what yet......

Speaking of which, how easily can these be defended from monster attacks? I think you need a couple of tools at the front, and also a tool car.

The bucket only tips one way, unfortunately. I tried and tried again to make one that dumped both ways and it just wasn't working out.

You'd need a Technic hinge joint to do that. Keeping that in mind, it should be possible to make a double tipping-bucket that isn't too big.

Oh, and I see you gave both RR's hats. Thank you. To me my hat is my identity, and doubtless these raiders will feel the same. ;P

• 2 weeks later...

I have nothing to add.

Then I will. :P

Ok. I can't give much feedback on this because you overloaded it with sandwiches. Thank goodness LDD has a cloning tool :P

I think it needs some way to stop the sandwiches falling out. Inertia will cause them to go backwards/forwards, and going round corners would be PAIN. I can't see much of the car itself, but it looks like you used too much yellow. I'd recommend some grey and perhaps some teal.

Though the railings should be yellow, if you put them up.

Onto the cab: The lights on the front don't work. I think you should just have two 1x1x1 cones (like the Chrome Crusher) on the side. Also you screwed up the lights on the back.

If you went with the cones then they're need to be raised a bit... how about putting a dark grey 2x1x1 sloping brick on the two studs on the wheel house and putting the cone on that? That might work.

Oh, and the Sandwich Car hasn't been added to the OP.

I fail to see how cones would ever provide good lighting. If you want any decent visual range, the intensity will also blind the driver. I like the lights as they are now.

Anyway, this stirred my imagination. I'm having a look into making the bucket tip both ways.

I might also make a car of my own for this system. That is if you don't mind of course.

EDIT: So I have 2 solutions to the 2-way tipping bucket. First one is an old one. It is simple and quite straightforward, same as the buckets on the 4565 Fright and Crane railway. It uses:

4275b.png   2880.png   4531.png   The "problem" is that the hinge points would not be symmetric, being one plate higher on one side compared to then the other. 

The second solution will be presented as soon as I figure out picture-uploading etc. :thumbsup:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.