LEGO Alpha Team Diorama

Jimbob

Well, it's been almost a year since I last reported progress on this diorama. And now, at last, it is finally complete! Check out the photos below.

The images are all hi-res, and I've linked them to the fullscreen versions, so click on them to zoom in.

gallery_5738_370_608562.jpg

My dad and I painted the terrain together. Thin acrylic paints were used on the modrock areas to seep into the recesses, and also apply varying degrees of shadow. Thicker paints were used on the smoother sections for a complete coverage.

Two things I knew I had to have in this diorama are:

1. Loads of Ogel's minions. There are loads in the comics, but you only get two with Ogel's base. I ordered more off Bricklink for a total of ten minions.
  2. Loads of evil orbs. Across all the sets, you only get a total of four - hardly enough for world domination. So I ordered some more, and now have four times as many!

More in-depth photos are contained in the spoiler below (and there are quite a few of them).

gallery_5738_370_1897346.jpg

The upper sections contain Ogel's base, Dash's helicopter and Flex's ATV. Additionally you can see a plunger from the game in the corner.

gallery_5738_370_1378885.jpg

Some minions are busy loading all of the evil orbs into the space ship.

gallery_5738_370_762773.jpg

A close-up of the plunger. It uses a custom sticker I printed out as LEGO didn't produce the bullseye design in the game. I had to use an orange dome for the top part, as again LEGO never made the red one that is seen in the game.

gallery_5738_370_211216.jpg

Flex ziplines across to the control center from his ATV! I didn't get a shot of his face, but if you don't know what it looks like check it out online. His mouth is bigger than Emmett's.

gallery_5738_370_1213748.jpg

The rest of the sets are in the lower part of the scene, plus I added some of my own models from the game. You'll have to excuse the lighting, it was difficult getting a light source to shine into the cave.

gallery_5738_370_1509266.jpg

Radia's crashed her vehicle again! Some guards approach as she climbs over the hull.

gallery_5738_370_1496165.jpg

Ogel tries to escape, while Cam speeds towards his minions. You can see crates and a door from the game in the background.

gallery_5738_370_292389.jpg

Contrary to the game, it's Dash who has been trapped in a prison this time, and all the team must save him! For some reason I used a technic pin and plate to rotate the cell, I'll probably replace that with a 2 x 2 turntable as it's very wobbly.

gallery_5738_370_614038.jpg

You can see the custom stickers for the consoles, just like in the game. In fact I took this straight from the game's textures.

By the way, thanks tazakk for providing me with links to some great alternative parts that LEGO actually made. :thumbsup:

gallery_5738_370_699919.jpg

A close-up of the evil mastermind himself! No, not President Business... Ogel. The opposite of LEGO.

Some extra text to pad out this description.

gallery_5738_370_894594.jpg

TEEVEE HERE! TEEVEE HERE! TEEVEE HERE! TEEVEE HERE! TEEVEE HERE! TEEVEE HERE! TEEVEE HERE!

For those of you who don't know, the LEGO Alpha Team PC game had a glitch in its audio on many computers that caused TeeVee to endlessly repeat his statements.

gallery_5738_370_421133.jpg

Crunch prepares to fire his huge cannons!

I bet Crunch and Wrench would make good friends.

gallery_5738_370_615247.jpg

Charge has set up his charges, and is ready to blast a hole in the wall! That minion won't be standing there for long.

So, there you have it. What do you think?

Only one issue:

TV HERE! TV HERE! TV HERE! TV HERE! TV HERE! TV HERE! TV HERE! For those of you who don't know, the LEGO Alpha Team PC game had a glitch in its audio on many computers that caused TV to endlessly repeat his statements.

It's TeeVee. :P

Only one issue:

-Megafail-

It's TeeVee. :P

Oh yes, my mistake. Fixed.

Very good job. Only one thing, some of the pieces on the big skull look a bit loose and it's bugging me. :P

Ah yes, also my mistake... But I can't fix that one so easily. ;) I noticed they were loose after I'd finished taking it all back upstairs and set it up on my shelf. Dang.

Shouldent Crunch be setting off those explosives?

Eh, probably, but I think given the choice he'd choose the huge twin-linked cannon over a bit of TNT. ;)

That, and I didn't really know what to do with Charge anyway.

Nice diorama! I see several scenes from the comic books like Radia's crashed water vehicle

Ah, glad someone noticed! Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. :thumbsup:

Radia's model is just so easy to break into three chunks that, although I was originally just going to have her resting on the stones, I couldn't resist snapping it up a little to be like the comics.

I spy TeeVee in the shadows, nice diorama I especially like the texture of the cliff.

Yes, TeeVee was even worse than Charge to place because he doesn't even has hands. :P In the end I just stuck him back as he probably would do in action anyway.

The texture on the cliff is kind of a cheat. Only one paint was used, but it was so watery and thin at it created different levels of shading. The actual texture is just a special modelling item called modrock, and the gravel above are scattered little stones also available in a hobby store. But it all looks nice when put together. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.