RockRaiderWolf's Ye Olde Questions (and requests) Thread

RockRaiderWolf

RockRaiderWolf

Since in the past I have found myself asking questions related to old topics, I thought it would be best to create a single thread for any future questions about old threads so that I don't create clutter with a new thread each time.

I will start off with >this topic.

First, a question that is related to the next. As far as Custom Vehicles and Buildings go am I correct that we can add entirely new ones to the game? So, if that is the case then might it be possible to create vehicle that looks like two separate buildings and has 2-4 invisible tiles/etc that go between it across water. then make it so that one of the "buildings" has an arrow pointing up for entrance and the other an arrow pointing down for exit? although I don't know how the game decides where the raider dismounts a vehicle I thought that if we could we might make it so that the raider would be able to "mount" the bridging vehicle at the up arrow side and then dismount on the other side of the river via the down arrow building. This would require it be pre-placed but it still might be something to try.

Next I wanted to ask what exactly Cirevam meant when he said

I have made power paths extend across water by putting water-only tiles between the building and power path but since you can't adjust the length of the bridge you need to find a patch of water X tiles across in order to place it. It's only useful for power so it's not that great.

What I was thinking is if it is possible without hard-coding, maybe we could find a way to make the power paths be like a "Higher priority" than the water tiles so that when a custom building with a longer power path extending from it was placed with the path over the water it would place the path over top the water as if the water was not there and your raiders could then use it to cross the water like a bridge. although if it is possible without hard-coding I can see the possibility that it might actually change the water to regular ground if this worked. it would still be better than the above idea I think.

The second Topic for today was going to be >this one.
I was thinking maybe to create an underwater feel someone could find a way to create a sort of blue overlay that makes it look sort of like your'e looking through the glass bottom of one of those tour boats. Then all that would be left would be to maybe recolor some of the buildings and duplicate them as underwater versions. last someone could create a new Biome to fit the underwater theme.

Thoughts anybody?

PS: If this thread starts to get big don't worry I will look through and create a table of contents here.

As far as Custom Vehicles and Buildings go am I correct that we can add entirely new ones to the game?

Yes, I think so.

So, if that is the case then might it be possible to create vehicle that looks like two separate buildings and has 2-4 invisible tiles/etc that go between it across water. then make it so that one of the "buildings" has an arrow pointing up for entrance and the other an arrow pointing down for exit?

Nope, that's not possible. Rock Raiders cannot walk "across vehicles" and buildings cannot be placed into the water. And new buttons with new functions are generally hard-coded.

although I don't know how the game decides where the raider dismounts a vehicle I thought that if we could we might make it so that the raider would be able to "mount" the bridging vehicle at the up arrow side and then dismount on the other side of the river via the down arrow building.

The Rock Raider always dismounts where the center (of the 3D model) of the vehicle is (the yellow square on the map).

This would require it be pre-placed but it still might be something to try.

This would be the least problem (referring to .OL-files)

I have made power paths extend across water by putting water-only tiles between the building and power path but since you can't adjust the length of the bridge you need to find a patch of water X tiles across in order to place it. It's only useful for power so it's not that great.

Even if you were able to build bridges, it wouldn't be possible to adjust its length. Additionally you cannot walk across the water paths, they are only "energy pipes". I give you an example: Build a standard power path next to a water tile. Now you can place the Docks' water power path on the water tile that is next to your pre-built power path. The Docks' land power path doesn't need a power path then. (you can try that in "Fire'n Water"

What I was thinking is if it is possible without hard-coding, maybe we could find a way to make the power paths be like a "Higher priority" than the water tiles so that when a custom building with a longer power path extending from it was placed with the path over the water it would place the path over top the water as if the water was not there and your raiders could then use it to cross the water like a bridge.

This sentence is too long for me as I am no native-speaker. But from what I said above this is utopia for us.

...someone could find a way to create a sort of blue overlay...

...someone could create a new Biome...

If you want to have something like that then why don't someone you do all these things?

• Like 2

RockRaiderWolf

Well for the first part of your reply it was just simple Ideas I was thinking up and while I knew they were a long shot I figured it could'nt hurt to ask. 

RockRaiderWolf, on 08 Apr 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:snapback.png

What I was thinking is if it is possible without hard-coding, maybe we could find a way to make the power paths be like a "Higher priority" than the water tiles so that when a custom building with a longer power path extending from it was placed with the path over the water it would place the path over top the water as if the water was not there and your raiders could then use it to cross the water like a bridge.

This sentence is too long for me as I am no native-speaker. But from what I said above this is utopia for us.

I am guessing you don't know the meaning of the word utopia? 

If you want to have something like that then why don't someone you do all these things?

No need to be hostile. I have never done anything of the such so while I might be tempted to look into learning and making them it would have been a bit pointless if such was not plausible. Plus It seemed some people had been interested in the previous topic on an underwater themed mod so if people liked the idea and believed it plausible I and anyone else interested could work on making it happen. 

-_-

I am guessing you don't know the meaning of the word utopia? 

Yes I do know. It is (expressed in simple words) that the world is how someone wants it to be (at least the german "Utopie" is that meaning. correct me if the english one is different)

Plus It seemed some people had been interested in the previous topic

You said it right, there was some interest but as the topic is several years old and no one has done anything for it so far, it seems not to be interesting enough. Well, times can change, but...

YeeeeaaaaaaNO. That's all hardcoded. Besides, that's going to nerf the point of water.

The second Topic for today was going to be >this one.

I was thinking maybe to create an underwater feel someone could find a way to create a sort of blue overlay that makes it look sort of like your'e looking through the glass bottom of one of those tour boats. Then all that would be left would be to maybe recolor some of the buildings and duplicate them as underwater versions. last someone could create a new Biome to fit the underwater theme.

I think you can make new GUI elements, but I'm pretty sure they really don't like transparency. Ultimately, impossible.

No need to be hostile. I have never done anything of the such so while I might be tempted to look into learning and making them it would have been a bit pointless if such was not plausible. Plus It seemed some people had been interested in the previous topic on an underwater themed mod so if people liked the idea and believed it plausible I and anyone else interested could work on making it happen. 

-_-

alan isn't being hostile. He's our most respected intelligence point for LegoRR and knows all too well the limitations of the engine and how slow members have been at creating custom content. He's your elder, and you should be respecting what he says.

The thing is, the logic doesn't work. To make a true underwater level, you'd have to have no water or lava, you'd have to make the biome sand, you'd need to make a transparent GUI element, which even if it was possible would BLOCK the mouse clicks so the game is impossible, and all other manner of problems.

• Like 2

I'm going to steal Alan's post for a second since I'm too lazy to split up all of the quotes.

As far as Custom Vehicles and Buildings go am I correct that we can add entirely new ones to the game?

Absolutely, I've created tons of new vehicles and added them to the game. Buildings are a bit iffy because of how the game adds them to the build menu, but they're possible too.

So, if that is the case then might it be possible to create vehicle that looks like two separate buildings and has 2-4 invisible tiles/etc that go between it across water. then make it so that one of the "buildings" has an arrow pointing up for entrance and the other an arrow pointing down for exit?

although I don't know how the game decides where the raider dismounts a vehicle I thought that if we could we might make it so that the raider would be able to "mount" the bridging vehicle at the up arrow side and then dismount on the other side of the river via the down arrow building.

This is possible. There is a null that specifies where a raider exits a vehicle. Just place that really far away and you can make a teleporter by having someone enter the vehicle and exiting it. It's a one-way trip though, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work through walls. I've never bothered to formally test it but I've noticed that this is possible while creating new vehicle animations and seeing my raider exit further away than normal.

This would require it be pre-placed but it still might be something to try.

Nah, if it's a vehicle you can drive it around, but you have to remember that the driver will get ejected far away.

What I meant was this:

.___..___..___..___

|...||...||...||...|

|___||___||___||___|

This is an example of a building foundation. Green tiles can only be placed on flat ground. Blue tiles can only be placed on water. Placing this building such that it spans a two-tile-wide body of water will let you transfer power to the other side. Blue tiles in building foundations don't make a walkable surface, they're just a restriction. This is why you can't build the Docks without being next to water.

IS NOT POSSIBLE! OOOOOH THIS IS BAD. Blue tiles in building foundations don't create walkable surfaces.

I've created game overlays before, but there's no way to make them level-specific, and they're tied to animations.

If you want to have something like that then why don't someone you do all these things? :jamessterface:

• Like 3

This is possible. There is a null that specifies where a raider exits a vehicle. Just place that really far away and you can make a teleporter by having someone enter the vehicle and exiting it. It's a one-way trip though, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work through walls. I've never bothered to formally test it but I've noticed that this is possible while creating new vehicle animations and seeing my raider exit further away than normal.  

Wow, I didn't know that so far. Thanks :thumbsup:  

It also makes sense as the Cargo Carrier doesn't drop vehicles into the water, but rather onto the ground in front of him.

Yesterday I tried to let RRs slide over water by editing the collision radius to a bigger value. But because the RRs are always drifting away I tried to change the coll radius with several building upgrades (so when not upgraded, the coll radius is normal, UP1 coll radius bigger, ...) but the game won't accept that   :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VCL1S_gjTw

RockRaiderWolf

YeeeeaaaaaaNO. That's all hardcoded. Besides, that's going to nerf the point of water.

I should have elaborated, I had thought that since you could not select water, that it would not ruin the point as you wouldn't be able to build a power path on it unless you used a building that had power path attached.

IS NOT POSSIBLE! OOOOOH THIS IS BAD. Blue tiles in building foundations don't create walkable surfaces.

I wasn't referring to the blue tiles thank you very much. :P although I had not yet tested it I was thinking of how in frozen frenzy there was a building that had another building sitting on top of where the attached power path would have normally been so I had been curious if, by using the map editor, how the game would react to a power path that is supposed to be placed on land being placed on water instead. I would have tested it myself (or at least described it so it made more sense) but, at the time I had a Migraine and was in a rush to get off the computer and close my eyes.

Nah, if it's a vehicle you can drive it around, but you have to remember that the driver will get ejected far away.

Ah, I seem to have left something out again... I had been thinking that if it was supposed to resemble a building it should be made to be immobile. (path speed zero)

Anyway my apologies for the lack of clarity in my questions. Thanks for the replies despite that.

In the future I will try to hold off posting if i have such a migraine. :)
(I had been trying to make sure I did not just go and forget my Questions/Ideas as I am prone to do and the headache stopped me from seeing the obvious option of making a note in notepad or something. 8S  )

Next, I have noticed there seems to be a modding tutorial for almost every category. that is all but, how to create and implement new Custom Biomes. Why is that? I was hoping someone could make a basic guide if they have the time. 

Edited by RockRaiderWolf

• 2 weeks later...
RockRaiderWolf

_______Next Question_______

Are the Menus in Rock Raiders at all mod-able? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere when I used the search so I tried it and as far as I can tell trying to add a 6th menu to the MainMenuFull section just seems to cause the game to crash? So are the menus not Mod-able for some reason or am I maybe just doing something wrong?

Next, I have noticed there seems to be a modding tutorial for almost every category. that is all but, how to create and implement new Custom Biomes. Why is that? I was hoping someone could make a basic guide if they have the time. 

At first have a look at the folder WorldWorldTextures. You will see three biomes there: lava, ice and rock. The textures for the rock levels can be found in RockSplit, the textures for lava levels in LavaSplit and so on. When you open one of the folders, you will see files (images) with the name of the biome and a number. (e.g. a straight wall of hard rock texture in rock biome has the name ROCK04.bmp ).

According to the numbers, create your own biome and name the textures as you want (e.g. NEWBIOMExx.bmp - the xx is the number). The only thing you have to watch is the number. You can see which number belongs to which type of wall/ground by checking the original textures.

When you're done, make sure you also create the "roof texture" like ROCKROOF.bmp outside the ~Split folders.

Once you've created your textures for all types/all numbers, you can go into the CFG file:

Search for "textures" until you get the entry with a "{" bracket after its name (it was the 2nd entry for me). You can find the three original biomes here. Now (according to the name NEWBIOME as I used it above) you would have to write the following:

NEWBIOME {
			rooftexture			WorldWorldTexturesNEWBIOMEroof.bmp
			surftextwidth			8
			surftextheight			8
			meshbasename			WorldProMeshesRockPM
			texturebasename			WorldWorldTexturesNEWBIOMESplitNEWBIOME
		}

So you have to can name the folder in which you put all the textures (except the NEWBIOMEroof.bmp) NEWBIOMESplit but it may also have another name. The main thing is that the name in the cfg and the folder name are the same. When your texture names begin with NEWBIOME and are followed by the number, the NEWBIOME part is the texturebasename and you are free to change it in both places. The surftexturewidth and surftextureheight can be copied from one of the other biomes. I'm not quite sure about the meshbasename or the meshes themselves because I cannot open the .lwo files but I think they are modeling the wall types in FP mode. Just copy that from one of the other biomes as I have done it in the example.

This should be everything you have to know about biomes. I'm not sure if I have explained everything clearly enough. Feel free to ask me if there are still some questions. I'll try to explain it again.

Are the Menus in Rock Raiders at all mod-able? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere when I used the search so I tried it and as far as I can tell trying to add a 6th menu to the MainMenuFull section just seems to cause the game to crash? So are the menus not Mod-able for some reason or am I maybe just doing something wrong?

The menus are moddable, but only in the meaning of modify. It is - in my view - impossible to add more menus to the main menu. I tried to put an "Options" menu to the main menu but the game refused :(

RockRaiderWolf

@alan

At first have a look at the folder WorldWorldTextures. You will see three biomes there: lava, ice and rock. The textures for the rock levels can be found in RockSplit, the textures for lava levels in LavaSplit and so on. When you open one of the folders, you will see files (images) with the name of the biome and a number. (e.g. a straight wall of hard rock texture in rock biome has the name ROCK04.bmp ).

According to the numbers, create your own biome and name the textures as you want (e.g. NEWBIOMExx.bmp - the xx is the number). The only thing you have to watch is the number. You can see which number belongs to which type of wall/ground by checking the original textures.

When you're done, make sure you also create the "roof texture" like ROCKROOF.bmp outside the ~Split folders.

Once you've created your textures for all types/all numbers, you can go into the CFG file:

Search for "textures" until you get the entry with a "{" bracket after its name (it was the 2nd entry for me). You can find the three original biomes here. Now (according to the name NEWBIOME as I used it above) you would have to write the following:

NEWBIOME {
            rooftexture            WorldWorldTexturesNEWBIOMEroof.bmp
            surftextwidth            8
            surftextheight            8
            meshbasename            WorldProMeshesRockPM
            texturebasename            WorldWorldTexturesNEWBIOMESplitNEWBIOME
        }

So you have to can name the folder in which you put all the textures (except the NEWBIOMEroof.bmp) NEWBIOMESplit but it may also have another name. The main thing is that the name in the cfg and the folder name are the same. When your texture names begin with NEWBIOME and are followed by the number, the NEWBIOME part is the texturebasename and you are free to change it in both places. The surftexturewidth and surftextureheight can be copied from one of the other biomes. I'm not quite sure about the meshbasename or the meshes themselves because I cannot open the .lwo files but I think they are modeling the wall types in FP mode. Just copy that from one of the other biomes as I have done it in the example.

This should be everything you have to know about biomes. I'm not sure if I have explained everything clearly enough. Feel free to ask me if there are still some questions. I'll try to explain it again.

The menus are moddable, but only in the meaning of modify. It is - in my view - impossible to add more menus to the main menu. I tried to put an "Options" menu to the main menu but the game refused  :(

Thanks a ton for that! it might be a good idea to add that to the tutorials section with the rest of the tutorials.

Darn I had tried to add a second level select screen in hopes of having an entirely separate place for all the custom maps. I tried adding it to both the main menu and the level select menu and neither worked. I may keep trying on the Level select screen when I feel bored :P
By the way what exactly in the menus have you found that is actually able to be modified and still work?

Text and the placement of items are the only things I've ever bothered to change in menus. Those are the things you would expect anyways.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.