BIONICLE RETURNING 2015

jedi299

On another tangent, is that a new animation in the upper-right of the image?

That's what I thought at first, too, but it's just Ekimu mask making from the Legend.

The Skulls look pretty good. I'm not super happy about the new weapons, they're drifting back into "abstract shape with lots and lots and lots of greebles" territory, but oh well. Grinder and Warrior seem to share a mask, and either Basher has that one too or perhaps he has the one that's on Skull Scorpion.

It's kind of a wierd thing to be happy about, but I'm glad the villains have elemental affiliations, at least through their color schemes. The only problem is that Gali is left with the Lord of Skull Spiders by method of elimination, and it isn't really water themed.

It's kind of a wierd thing to be happy about, but I'm glad the villains have elemental affiliations, at least through their color schemes. The only problem is that Gali is left with the Lord of Skull Spiders by method of elimination, and it isn't really water themed.

It's not just the color schemes, but the masks included in each set also link them to a Toa, PLUS each one is themed after a zodiac sign that almost matches the element they represent (Taurus is an Earth sign and Gemini is an Air sign, however Sagittarius is a Fire sign and Scorpio is a water sign, but I'll let that slide considering there are no "Ice" or "Stone" elements in the zodiac)

With that in mind, I don't think the skull grinder corresponds to the 'fire' enemy, both because his set doesn't include a mask of fire and because he doesn't match up to a Zodiac sign. I expect to see at least two more sets down the line that include masks of fire and water, most likely based on Leo and Pisces.

It's not just the color schemes, but the masks included in each set also link them to a Toa, PLUS each one is themed after a zodiac sign that almost matches the element they represent (Taurus is an Earth sign and Gemini is an Air sign, however Sagittarius is a Fire sign and Scorpio is a water sign, but I'll let that slide considering there are no "Ice" or "Stone" elements in the zodiac)

With that in mind, I don't think the skull grinder corresponds to the 'fire' enemy, both because his set doesn't include a mask of fire and because he doesn't match up to a Zodiac sign. I expect to see at least two more sets down the line that include masks of fire and water, most likely based on Leo and Pisces.

Admittedly I was a little skeptical of the zodiac theory initially - I doubted LEGO's capacity to draw from something like that. It seems you're right on the money, though. And it is neat that LEGO is indeed taking elements of myth and mysticism to incorporate in the story - just not Polynesian myth this time around because it's such a legal minefield. It would be nice to see a couple of store exclusive villains this summer, though I dunno how likely it is when there haven't been construction store exclusives in years.

Candy-green CCBS Bones.

Heck. Yes.

But aside that, I'm not really sure what to think of the new sets. This is a prety good image less than a month into the new year, but I'm going to wait until we get some proper photos before I judge on the new 2spooky4u army.

Also, what is THIS?

66af50e396f521ef7d3bb689056cbe9c.png

A promo for a polybag? With a trans-orange Tahu mask? And only announced in Europe so far??? Great, one more thing I feel compelled to collect, along with the NYCC clear mask.

Speaking of collections, I did it. Other than the clear Tahu mask, I got all of the sets so far. Now to wait until Summer....

Are those... are those new sets based on Zodiac signs? O____O Sagittarius, Taurus, Scorpio and the 4-armed guy could be Gemini... Hm. 6 Toa, 12 signs... I can see that working out.

Not sure though how it fits after that. I see no, Leo, Cancer, Pisces, Virgo and whatnot. It seems that it is supposed to be tribal, not zodiacal.

Backwards compatibility or riot

Still have my old collection in the basement.

They're backwards compatible - just like any LEGO piece today is a part of the same system of play that was introduced in the 1950s.

• 3 weeks later...

This Hero Factory system... Ugh. It looked okay on the 2.0 and Breakout-era heroes, but everywhere else LEGO has used it it just looks strange, clunky, and awkward - this certainly included. Aside from maybe Pohatu, all these guys look top-heavy, and the big, flat, printed "pec plates" look kinda fugly to me. Furthermore, the masks seem strange - rounded, and with too many details and features.

...And those are just my compaints about the aesthetics. The building system itself is inflexible, and without extensive use of Technic pieces, anything you make with it just looks and acts like... itself... unlike the original BIONICLE system I grew up with and still love to this day. I can pull out my basket of BIONICLE stuff, and make anything from a humanoid Toa or four-legged Rahi to a massive three-headed sea creature (?) that looks like something straight out of the mind of H.P. Lovecraft. If I were to round up all of the Hero Factory bits and half-built figures from around the house, then I'd have trouble making anything but another small army of humanoids and the occasional four-legged or six-legged creature from the resulting collection, unless I wanted to pull my Technic and BIONICLE baskets out too.

This Hero Factory system... Ugh. It looked okay on the 2.0 and Breakout-era heroes, but everywhere else LEGO has used it it just looks strange, clunky, and awkward - this certainly included. Aside from maybe Pohatu, all these guys look top-heavy, and the big, flat, printed "pec plates" look kinda fugly to me. Furthermore, the masks seem strange - rounded, and with too many details and features.

Funnily, this is a big criticism I have with the 'BIONICLE system.' It's still prevalent in the "Hero Factory system' to an extent, but I feel like overall the figures are much more balanced and proportional, and the masks at least invoke the originals, even if they are hyper detailed.

The Hero Factory system is just as useful as the BIONICLE one, it's just different. You can make plenty of varied things with it.

Lyichir found Amazon listings for the books coming this summer.

Chapter Book 1

Activity Book 1

The chapter book's author is Ryder Windham, something I'm not super enthusiastic about. Looking through his past works, they seem to be almost exclusively adaptions of other Star Wars media, plus a couple of original stories set in the Star Wars universe for young readers. The only truly original work I could find were a few adult comic books from the early 90s. :|

The activity book comes with a mask. Seems like a good place for Gali or Tahu's gold/trans mask to show up.

• 2 weeks later...

Some guy on 4chan claims to have accompanied his nephew to a LEGO playtest for the winter 2016 set wave. He says it's all about slime ghosts that shoot smaller slime ghosts, and Ekimu the now-a-Toa. Here's his drawing of some of the elements.

I honestly feel that this has some weight to it, most fake leaks are more sweeping and cater to fan expectations, whereas this (a) omits a new wave of Toa as we would expect and (b) borrows pretty heavily in concept from the summer 2015 Ninjago wave.

That said, I really don't like the idea of ghost villains, especially right after skeletons, but obviously it's too early to judge.

4chan has been pretty on top of leaks lately. I was on /v/ for all the Smash Bros. 3DS and Pokemon OR/AS leaks. Almost all of them turned out to be true. 

• 2 weeks later...

So we got graphic novels.

Editor is Rex Ogle. Rex... Ogle. Ogle Rex. Ogel Rex. It's happening.

Actually he seems like he's probably a cool guy so I'm more optimistic about this than the books.

This is the third time we've gotten a BIONICLE graphic novel series. The first time it will be exclusively original stuff and not just reprints of the comic books.

I bought a clearance Gali just to try out the new Toa and I'd heard she was one of the best ones.  I'm decently impressed.  

I don't like how the new designs look in pictures, but having Gali in front of me I can't say I dislike it.  

I'd probably buy more but I keep having decent luck buying older stuff on eBay.  Kind of using up my fun money there.

Edit: Well, stopped by a Target while on vacation and found a 50% off Onua.

And then there were 2.

The third time? Is there a series I'm not thinking of right now that isn't a reproduction of the comics?

Having BIONICLE comics overseen King Ogel is pretty awesome.

The third time? Is there a series I'm not thinking of right now that isn't a reproduction of the comics?

There was the original Scholastic run that only lasted one installment with comics 1-15 included, then there was the 9-book-long Papercutz series that was mostly comic reprints but had an original comic in one book and then one entirely original book.

There was the original Scholastic run that only lasted one installment with comics 1-15 included, then there was the 9-book-long Papercutz series that was mostly comic reprints but had an original comic in one book and then one entirely original book.

Could you give me a source/link to the first thing?

So that's basically the same thing as the first two Papercutz books?

Pretty much. I don't have it myself so I don't know how, if at all, it may be formatted differently, but it's the same comics.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.