PickRandomFloor

aidenpons

It's a PTL command, so it's level-specific AI. You can think of it like the RandomMove TRUE parameter in the CFG, but the PTL takes precedence. You also need to pair PickRandomFloor with the movement command RockMonsterGoto:
PickRandomFloorComplete        RockMonsterGoto
RockMonsterGotoComplete        PickRandomFloorRock

Monsters, and possibly other monsters, will now scan the level for reachable tiles, choose one, and path towards it. When they reach the tile, they scan the level and choose another.

You also need to use 'PickRandomFloor TRUE' in the .cfg.

I've tried this and it hasn't worked; the monster has just sat there not moving, with its idle animation going. Has anybody EVER got this working, or is it a lost hope?

I think you may be missing a line. Here's the entire PTL from the level where I tried it:

Lego* {

Dig                Goto
    DigComplete            RockFall
    Reinforce            Goto
    ReinforceComplete        Null
    Clear                Goto
    ClearComplete            GenerateOre
    GenerateOreComplete        CollectOre
    RockFallComplete        GenerateFromCryore
    GenerateCrystalComplete        CollectCrystal
    CollectCrystal            Goto
    CollectOre            Goto
    GenerateRockMonster        Goto
    GenerateRockMonsterComplete    GatherRock
    GatherRockComplete        PickRandomFloor
    PickRandomFloorComplete        RockMonsterGoto
    RockMonsterGotoComplete        PickRandomFloor
    CollectTool            Goto
    Repair                Goto
    BuildPath            Goto
    Train                Goto
    Upgrade                Goto
}

That GatherRockComplete line is important. I think it's normally AttackBuilding. Basically, a RockMonster is generated, and it will collect a boulder when complete. After collecting a boulder, it will go into the PickRandomFloor loop.

• 3 months later...

There is an old map file called AI. It's not used and I've never really experimented to see if it's still functional or not. No maps use it, however there is mentions of it in the executable and possibly some old CFG entries still exist. I wonder if before this was implemented they had the AI specifically follow paths from the AI map file.

There is an old map file called AI

What? Where?

possibly some old CFG entries

Cirevam said that PickRandomFloor TRUE had to be in the cfg... even if that's not true, adding that line doesn't cause the game to crash...

That GatherRockComplete line is important. I think it's normally AttackBuilding. Basically, a RockMonster is generated, and it will collect a boulder when complete. After collecting a boulder, it will go into the PickRandomFloor loop.

So will it ever attack a building? If I've got this right, you've told it to pick up a boulder and walk around endlessly... not really very helpful.

On the subject of .ptl's, can you have two things happen from a single event? Like so:

GenerateRockMonsterComplete          GatherRock
GenerateRockMonsterComplete          PickRandomFloor

(Is there anything on RRU about a "Guide to PTLs" or something? The search doesn't allow ptl (it's three letters long) and .ptl has nothing.

What? Where?

Well, there is no actual files, just mentions of it that I've found.

Cirevam said that PickRandomFloor TRUE had to be in the cfg... even if that's not true, adding that line doesn't cause the game to crash...

Do you mean the PTL? won't be of much use in the CFG.

(Is there anything on RRU about a "Guide to PTLs" or something? The search doesn't allow ptl (it's three letters long) and .ptl has nothing.

No one has really explained much about them or all the possible values.

Do you mean the PTL? won't be of much use in the CFG.

No, the monster (or whatever) needs PickRandomFloor TRUE in the cfg, so Cirevam says.

:3

I once luckily it allows even very weird combinations  xD

Cyrem, on 28 Nov 2014 - 11:21 AM, said: aidenpons, on 28 Nov 2014 - 08:49 AM, said: (Is there anything on RRU about a "Guide to PTLs" or something? The search doesn't allow ptl (it's three letters long) and .ptl has nothing. No one has really explained much about them or all the possible values. I once played with the ptl, luckily it allows even very weird combinations xD

1) Something got stuffed up, I'm guessing you accidentally double posted and RRU merged it (it does that automatically).

2) I saw that... it was very amusing how long it took everybody to figure it out. l405G.jpg

(Remind me in a month's time about Trolling Raiders, will somebody? l405G.jpg It's a CFG screweup idea I have. l405G.jpg)

No, the monster (or whatever) needs PickRandomFloor TRUE in the cfg, so Cirevam says.

Oh right, I was getting the command and setting mixed up.

I once played with the ptl, luckily it allows even very weird combinations

oh wow, hahahaha

1) Something got stuffed up, I'm guessing you accidentally double posted and RRU merged it (it does that automatically).

Yeah, you're right. He didn't take the first post and so I tried to post again ...

I think the best way to find out what we can do with ptls is trial and error... as always in LRR :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.