Keeping an Eye on LEGO's Future

emily

Imagine a world where you had the power to build LEGO with your mind. Or eyes, which is sort of close. LEGO is already envisioning that world (on a digital level, of course), as they demonstrated at Consumer Electronics Show 2015. The Eye Tribe is a software developer that, as you may have already surmised, is developing consumer-level eye-reading technology. They've partnered with LEGO to apply their technology to digital LEGO building.

The LDD of the future?

Sources:

Brick Fanatics

Imagine a world where you had the power to build LEGO with your mind...

*cough cough* We can do that already, it's called "Imagination"... ...DUH.

Who needs stupid tech like this?! We don't need machines to do the building for us, as long as our brains are never ripped from their home-based skulls WE CAN DO WITHOUT. WHO IS WITH ME!?

*Moment of silence, before being repeatedly beat up*

...but on a serious note, this is a big step into the future of Lego. The idea interests me, but the reality scares me so.

lol username

So you could build a model with your left hand and another model with your right hand and a virtual model with your eyeballs.

You could totally have convention contests like that.

Future's gettin' pretty weird, man.

ProfessorBrickkeeper

This sounds interesting. It reminds me of some of the experimental programs shown that came as a result of LEGO's Darwin project, except without of the requirement of having, you know, hands.

Now to just sit back and wait and see if a video of their demonstration at CES '15 hits them internets.

I can see the application of such technology being incredibly popular among disabled audiences. But for the general public, I dunno... Just as with reading books, I much prefer building LEGO physically than digitally. However it would be a great alternative to LDD when building with parts you don't have.

• Like 2

I would not enjoy this much, for the same reason I'm not a huge fan of LDD - I like the feel of LEGO bricks under my fingers. Building digitally is also a lot less intuitive (at least for me). It's a really cool idea, though, and giving people who can't use their hands the ability to build with LEGO bricks is awesome.

• Like 2

MaelstromIslander

We don't need machines to do the building for us, as long as our brains are never ripped from their home-based skulls WE CAN DO WITHOUT. WHO IS WITH ME!?

Me. Because soon this will give cyberdyne the ability to read our thoughts with our EYEBALLS.

I'd love to build with real LEGOs, but i have a very little amount of bricks that are available to me (i have a huge blue ben of them but its too hard to get into it)

Well, this should fix Alcom1's LDD FoV problem. l405G.jpg

But... that's interesting. I can only imagine selecting the brick you want by "scrolling" with your eyeballs and then blinking to place it, then realising you put it in the wrong place and so forth.

I like building with real Lego bricks because I can show off my stash l405G.jpg it's nice to have something that can sit permanently, and it's far easier to play with. Whoever heard of playing in LDD, apart from the final boss? l405G.jpg Also, you get the fun of rummaging for parts, either in the Lego box or searching the plastic packaging, the satisfying *click* each piece makes...

... and you also have slightly more versatility: you can not quite fully secure parts, giving extra length, balance and tip them, even force them to go sideways a little to make room for something else.

Also, "Eye Tribe" sounds like something out of a video game. l405G.jpg

Quisoves Potoo

Also, "Eye Tribe" sounds like something out of a video game. l405G.jpg

It sounds to me more like the ultimate evolution of the Mixels.

I'd love to build with real LEGOs, but i have a very little amount of bricks that are available to me (i have a huge blue ben of them but its too hard to get into it)

Yep, and this is the case for a large number of LEGO consumers I'm sure, hence I like the idea of the project but don't see it as anything close to a physical LEGO alternative.

Wait a minute...

LEGOs

What's this?! 

LEGOs

GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH D:

• Like 2

Wait a minute...

LEGOs

What's this?! 

LEGOs

GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH D:

While we're at it:

(i have a huge blue ben of them but its too hard to get into it)

DERP COMBO x3 ... arguably x4, as if you have so much Lego that you have to climb INTO the storage... you won't be complaining about having few bricks. l405G.jpg Mind you, given that it's one entire room of a small shack then you probably do need to climb into it. l405G.jpg

• Like 1

MaelstromIslander
(i have a huge blue ben of them but its too hard to get into it)

DERP COMBO x3 ... arguably x4, as if you have so much Lego that you have to climb INTO the storage... you won't be complaining about having few bricks. l405G.jpg Mind you, given that it's one entire room of a small shack then you probably do need to climb into it. l405G.jpg

Oops i derped. And no, i don't have to climb into anything, its not that big. Its just a pretty large bin.

Imagine a world where you had the power to build LEGO with your mind.

Extracted from Human QA for aliens:

What is a Human?

A) Slob

B) Lazy

C) Lazy Slob

D) All of the above.

• Like 2

Imagine a world where you had the power to build LEGO with your mind.

Extracted from Human QA for aliens:

What is a Human?

A) Slob

B) Lazy

C) Lazy Slob

D) All of the above.

E) Psychic powerz

New technology says we could actually be pretty scary to extra terrestrial life, if such alien life exists and is more intelligent than a sheep. In fact LEGO building with our minds is much closer than people might think, which means using the Force* is too.

*Well, controlling objects with anti-grav technology maybe.

New technology says we could actually be pretty scary to extra terrestrial life, if such alien life exists and is more intelligent than a sheep.

Thought reading technology is extremely dangerous, I would hope science would know bounds, but it is not guided by morality and thus there are people who will strive to develop it regardless of danger. It will be applauded right before the realization of what they have created. We are slaves to our own creations and we're slowing making ourselves irrelevant through technology. Unfortunately this problem is at the very core of humans and is at the heart of the saying "if we don't do it someone else will [someone bad]". Which is funny because out of fear of ourselves, we create, however our creation creates fear. This puts us in an inescapable black hole of fear, we're basically putting out a fire with petrol.

Anyway, thats enough gloom for tonight.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.