LEGO Portal Racers

lol username

lol username
1 minute ago, Xiron said:

Wait a smack, how do you rip files from an installer....? What's even more confusing is that you mentioned that it also checks at the splash screen (which the installer doesn't have), did you manage to somehow install it without the installer. :?:

Yes I've read that before, what you said just never clicked until now.

Take another read, you only quoted part of it:

On 4/7/2015 at 2:58 PM, Terrev said:

The installer doesn't run unless you have the camera, so I ripped the files from it. The game checks for the camera after the splash screens so I can't play it (not that I expected to be able to, and even if it didn't check I presume there's no alternate control methods). It runs on Unity. I'm gonna have a go at ripping music and perhaps textures from it later.

In other words (actually, very similar words):

• The installer doesn't run unless you have the camera
  • So I ripped the files from the installer instead (I don't recall exactly which program I used, there's plenty of programs that do it, which you use may end up depending on what the installer was built with)
  • Launched the game
  • The game displays splash screens, then checks for the camera, and doesn't let you proceed with play unless you have it
  • Later I ripped music, textures, models, and the rest of the assets with the variety of programs available that rip things from Unity games
  • Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

I edited my post already and found out that info myself. :P (and my quote initially included that bit)

Also, I saw that Unity part, yeah.

Now the question is, does the game have parameters? (Kinda hoping a bypass exists. =P)

• Like 1

lol username

If anybody wants to get adventurous, it's technically possible to mod the DLLs that hold all the logic of the game itself and make the game bypass the camera check/give it alternate control schemes. How easy or hard it'd be, though - that depends on exactly how the game is coded and how familiar the person making the changes already is with these things. It's not something I'm interested in doing, but if anybody is - it should be within the realms of possibility.

(At the very least it's trivial for anybody to view the game's code, go download dotPeek or ILSpy and decompile Assembly-CSharp.dll, Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll, etc)

• Like 1

grappigegovert

Turns out it wasn't that difficult to set the game to test mode, which will not only start the game without realsense camera, it also makes it controllable with the mouse.
(It also enables some debug hotkeys)

Basically I've added the code

Singleton<GameController>.Instance.Mode = GameController.ReleaseMode.Test;

somewhere in the initialization.

I've uploaded the entire modified Assembly-CSharp.dll, because creating an automatic patch is significantly more difficult.
Linkylink: http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/343

• Like 10

Fluffy Cupcake

Awesome.

Recorded a video of my first playthough, gonna be uploading it.

Also, LEGO UNIVERSE MUSIC.

Oh, and did we know the character and team names beforehand? I know I certainly didn't see them before.

Final note: Now I can rip the correct headwear if I want to make models out of em.

• Like 1

lol username

I've just downloaded the game again after noticing that the name of the installer currently up for download on lego.com is different from when I originally downloaded it. First one I downloaded was LEGO_Portal_Racers_Setup.exe, 404 MB, now it's LEGO_Portal_Racers.exe, 484 MB. I'll investigate further later tonight.

Edit: The only difference seems to be a heavy update to the Intel RealSense SDK runtime stuff. The actual game seems unchanged - I haven't compared MD5s of files or anything but there's no new or removed files, and they're all exact the same size as before. (And as further confirmation, the credits still list the game as version 1.0.) Oh, and the installer runs on a newer version of Inno Setup (had to update to a newer version of innounp, the unpacking software).

The game seems to be locked to 30 FPS... Could we fix that? :P

Also, the credits say the game was developed by Metaio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaio

Did some googling: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/lego-portal-racers-metaio-uses-intel-realsense-camera-technology-augmented-reality-434642

They also did the LEGO digitial box things at LEGO stores: http://metaio.com/fileadmin/upload/documents/press_articles/ds_3_2010_lego.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv1bthDKjHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gquUFyBjLlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwN6urXiPvw

5 hours ago, Xiron said:

Oh, and did we know the character and team names beforehand? I know I certainly didn't see them before.

Team names, yes, but character names, nope. Looks like character names aren't stored in the main text file, so I never saw them. (Where are they stored then...?)

For those who haven't played yet:

Team Earth: David Jay and Dee Jane (get it, they're DJs)

Team Pirate: Major Sunshine and Racebeard

Team Robot: Ultimate_1 and Ultima_1 (Ultimate_1 is male, Ultima_1 is female - well, they're robots, really, but yeah)

Team Alien: Luna Lightspeed and Liam Lightspeed

• Like 4

Fluffy Cupcake

I'm lucky f.lux doesn't affect recording this game, otherwise the video would of been, well, tinted.

Also, ignore the fact it is 60 FPS. I didn't check and just rendered in 60fps as always.

P.S. my video is already 4th down on the Youtube search list for "LEGO Portal Racers". :P

The team you choose determines what zone you start in. The first 4 zones are in procedural order, any zones after are chosen at random.

Also, I found it rather refreshing not hearing the TTSounds when I picked up the studs.

• Like 3

lol username

I'm currently digging through the decompiled code to make a list of test mode functions. For starters, pressing S in the player home/hoverboards/mod shop menus gives you free studs, F turns on an in-game FPS counter*, T stops the timer in the pit stop and just before the "selfie" at the end of the race, P spawns portals, R spawns ramps, and X spawns obstacles. You can press and hold those last three to spawn things every time a new track piece is generated. :af: D does some stuff I haven't looked at closely but it involves the speed of your hovercraft.

*Speaking of FPS... From GameController:

public override void StartMe()
  {
    Application.targetFrameRate = 30;

Could we try changing that to -1? That'll make the game render as fast as it can: http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Application-targetFrameRate.html Which should be a blatant improvement... Unless they've been naughty and haven't used Time.deltaTime, which would make parts of the game speed up drastically. But, that'd be hilarious. So it's a win-win. ^_^

ANYWAY, HOW TO WIN PORTAL RACERS

• SPAM S TO GET STUDS TO BUY ALL THE BOARDS AND MODULES
  • ENTER A RACE, PRESS AND HOLD P, MOVE THE MOUSE TO THE RIGHT SO YOU'RE ALWAYS IN THE RIGHT LANE BUT NOT SO FAR YOU'RE GRINDING THE WALL
  • JUST HOLD P
  • THAT'S IT
  • YOU'RE WINNER
  • THE LAST TEAM, TEAM ALIEN, ONLY REQUIRES 9 PORTALS IN ONE RACE TO UNLOCK BUT WHY STOP THERE

L6Vvd7Z.png

(as you can see I stopped/intentionally wrecked my board to end the run after 101 portals)

BTW, to save others the trouble of googling, here's something you can use to unpack the installer: http://innounp.sourceforge.net/

And again, here's where LEGO has the game up for download: https://wwwsecure.us.lego.com/en-us/service/portal-racers

• Like 5

Fluffy Cupcake
13 hours ago, Terrev said:

D does some stuff I haven't looked at closely but it involves the speed of your hovercraft.

It halts your vehicle in place and makes you unable to move forward until you press it again.

Also, while I was testing keys I pressed K. Don't do that, that's insta-kill.

• Like 1

lol username
2 hours ago, Xiron said:

It halts your vehicle in place and makes you unable to move forward until you press it again.

Also, why I was testing keys I pressed K. Don't do that, that's insta-kill.

That's the obvious result, but the code for it involves some other things I haven't looked at yet.

Er.... so what, actually...... is this? Is the answer "a glorified version of a Flash game?"

And why did Lego insist on needing the camera when the game is perfectly functional without it?

1 hour ago, aidenpons said:

And why did Lego insist on needing the camera...

It is funny that when on the hunt for new innovations, LEGO is blinded from other possibilities (such as making the game playable with a mouse or something).

lol username

F1, F2, F3, and F4 seem like they're intended to load the four worlds, but in reality it seems to be random. They count as going through a portal though, so that's an easier way to easily unlock all the racers. Also, in a pit stop, E turns the timer to 0 and lets you go without repairing your hoverboard.

If you hit one of the buttons to load a world and K at the same time, your hoverboard will be destroyed, but it'll load the pit stop. If you add modules there, you'll continue racing with only a floating minifigure and the modules. If you don't add modules, you'll just continue playing as a floating minifigure. Crashing in this state freezes the game.

e4bp03y.png

kN9MfBb.jpg

yZ3zLvC.jpg

Also, the pirate hut right there is the captain's hut model from LEGO Universe:

m6RRD8I.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Which game engine is the game run on?

On 4/27/2016 at 10:09 AM, Terrev said:
  •  Later I ripped music, textures, models, and the rest of the assets with the variety of programs available that rip things from Unity games

Edit: Terrev referred to Unity in his comment above.

Is it possible to currently rip terrain, scripts and scenes as well? Are these included in Terrev´s statement "the rest of the assets"?

Could you upload the assets onto Oresome, once there is a section for the game Lego Portal Racers?

lol username
5 hours ago, Xiron said:

If anyone wants to know the names of the non-LU music in the game.

Town Theme: Glory Days - Igor Dvorkin, Duncan Pittock

Space Theme: Razors Edge - David O'Brien

I love it when Youtube copyright tells me names of songs I don't know! :D

I posted a rundown of the music previously. Glory Days was in LU, but not used for any content that was publicly tested (we don't know exactly when and where it was used, but it was still in the game data around alpha testing). The only one we didn't know was Razors Edge.

tom, I'm on mobile so I can't type out a full reply on how Unity works, but if your final point is that you want all the game's assets ripped and uploaded here, you're on the wrong site. We're a modding community, not a database to host craptons of content ripped from games.

3 hours ago, Terrev said:

We're a modding community, not a database to host craptons of content ripped from games.

True. I just want to note that it isn´t exclusively a modding community.

Where on the internet will you upload the assets? Google Drive, Dropbox, Mediafire or Filedropper should all suffice as alternatives. For study, archiving and reference purposes, it could be useful to have them stored somewhere and  available publicly. That way enthusiasts can easily access them and study them, if they like.

Do you want assistance in the ripping process? If you list the programs you used and sources to acquire them, there could be users who can help you rip and upload the assets, by dividing the workload. Myself included. That way you do not have to put as much effort into the extraction of the files, since I assume it could a time-consuming process, due to the quantity of the files.

Fluffy Cupcake
4 hours ago, tomfyhr said:

Where on the internet will you upload the assets? Google Drive, Dropbox, Mediafire or Filedropper should all suffice as alternatives. For study, archiving and reference purposes, it could be useful to have them stored somewhere and  available publicly. That way enthusiasts can easily access them and study them, if they like.

Well, VG-Resource exists for a reason, and a topic here can be created having a hickory of all the uploaded content. Mind you it'd be less personal then having them uploaded to any above mentioned sites, and even less personal then having then uploaded here on RRU itself.

13 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Well, VG-Resource exists for a reason, and a topic here can be created having a hickory of all the uploaded content. Mind you it'd be less personal then having them uploaded to any above mentioned sites, and even less personal then having then uploaded here on RRU itself.

Agreed. However, it would reduce potential traffic that could be acquired by having the models available on RRU.

lol username

lol I never said I'd upload anything. I already posted everything I found interesting about the game and don't have any reason to return to it. It's a mildly glorified endless runner. You're overestimating the amount of people interested in this game (it's hardly any, even on this obscure-lego-game-obsessed forum), the amount of interest those few people even hold (it's very little), or perhaps don't realize that when people have interests in super obscure things they typically pursue their interests themselves instead of badgering other people on forums to do it for them.

I do not understand. I never said that I wanted you to rip every files. I asked you for the tools so I, and other volunteers, can rip the files ourselves. I only assumed that you wanted to upload the files that you  had already ripped, since it would be better to share them, rather than allowing them to collect dust on your desktop.

I respect you decision, but I am curious regarding reasoning concerning this act of individualism. Which reasons do you have for not uploading the files? People would only be able to benefit from the act. I agree, individuals who is dedicated will find a way to realize their dreams, but that isn´t a reason for not helping them. Wouldn´t helping them ease their difficulties, while giving you a positive reputation? It is a win-win situation.

I do not have anything against individualism, but I do not understand why you withhold information that can be attained through various means, without much technical difficulties, theoratically.

lol username

I'm not gonna waste my time organizing and uploading tons of crap that little to nobody cares about yet anybody can rip themselves easily with a basic understanding of how computers work and a few Google searches. Perhaps re-read my previous post if you still don't get it, there's nothing more to say lol. If you seriously care about it it's piss easy and doesn't waste anybody else's time to do yourself.

Seriously. Google. GLHF!

I want to make it clear that I do have the ability to rip assets from Unity. However, this may not apply to every individual. For whatever reason they may not have seen the website, I believe someone should enlighten them of that information and lend a helping hand.

If it requires minimal efforts, what prevents you from posting the sources? If it is as easy as you say, then it shouldn´t be any problem for you locating the sources and posting them, logically speaking.

I explicitly stated in the previous comment that I would have ripped the files myself and upload them, not you, if the sources were given. Your main argument is thus invalid.

Fluffy Cupcake
45 minutes ago, Terrev said:

yet anybody can rip themselves easily with a basic understanding of how computers work and a few Google searches.

Well if a game has several hundred models, it'd be more convenient to just download them in a common ready to go model format instead getting of a bunch of tools and spending lots of time to rip them all, and possibly spend hours even cleaning them all up if the rips aren't tidy.

Heck. If the models were already ready to go, you can bet you'd see a big explosion in my LEGO GMod pack.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.