How To Keep Windows Working.

TheEPICtrainrider

TheEPICtrainrider

Okay, this is the real discussion for real Windows Fixes. If you want to go on a Anti-Windows rant, go here -> http://www.rockraidersunited.org/index.php?/topic/655-windows-fixes/page__st__20__p__14279__hl__Windows%20fixes__fromsearch__1&#entry14279 . For the rest of you who actually want the program that came with your computer, stay here.

Post all the tricks you use with Windows to keep it working. (not ones that will kill it)

For me, I only install the updates for things I need. If it says there's a update for some program I've never used nor never will use, I just close it.

DISCLAIMER: Neither I, nor any other RRU members, will be taken responsible for any damages, physical, virtual or mental, done by trying any of these things. This is a suggestion topic, and only meant for the 'bringing together' of fixes we have used on a Operating System. Please keep this in mind, and be quite careful if you use any suggestions here.

Keep away from warez and files with the extensions .exe .bat .com on p2p or torrents.

Change the setting in windows so you can see the extensions of files. Some spammers still use the old trick of ClickMeForCoolStuff.jpg.exe

With the default setting you think you open a image file, well, you're not.

Oh BTW, use your common sense on teh intarwebs.

Get rid of windows update.

Kill all processes that I don't like.

Delete a bunch of programs that come with my pc.

Scan pc with anti-virus regularly.

Stay calm so that I don't shoot my pc.

That's what I use...

TheEPICtrainrider

If you got Vista, Delete Nortain after the trial ends, then get Webroot. It works better, not on protection, but on the fact that it tends not to $%^& up your computer.

Lock in your virtual memory allocations to something like 2048 mb minimum and maximum. This way the disk has a dedicated spot for virtual memory and won't fragment the drive over time, thereby helping your computer stay nice and fast.

First, do what sarge said above. Second, be a PC neat freak. Do a full defrag every day, use CCleaner for a full clean every day and ALWAYS look for new registry tweaks. :)

TheEPICtrainrider

Build your computer from scratch, and use Linux.

WRONG TOPIC, SAY THAT HERE -> http://www.rockraidersunited.org/index.php?/topic/655-windows-fixes/page__st__20__p__14279__hl__Windows%20fixes__fromsearch__1&#entry14279

THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY HAVE WINDOWS, NOT FOR PEOPLE TO MAKE ANTI-WINDOWS HINTS.

WRONG TOPIC, SAY THAT HERE -> http://www.rockraidersunited.org/index.php?/topic/655-windows-fixes/page__st__20__p__14279__hl__Windows%20fixes__fromsearch__1&#entry14279

THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY HAVE WINDOWS, NOT FOR PEOPLE TO MAKE ANTI-WINDOWS HINTS.

Build your computer from scratch, (partition the drive) and use add Linux.

TheEPICtrainrider

Build your computer from scratch, (partition the drive) and use add Linux.

There we go... I think... wait...

Another one: Always update your drivers, and always run the harddrive failure checks. Just my internal hard drive took nearly 24 hours to check...So do it only if you have the time. Once a month.

No.

Rule number one in the computer world:

NEVER EVER EVER buy something newer than a year.

1. Operating Systems: Still has bugs. Wait for the first Service Pack.

2. Shareware: Wait for the stable version.

3. Games: Cheaper after a year. Also has patches and stuff.

4. Hardware: Might not be compatible yet with your OS/computer.

Correction of the OS part:

Try to use the most popular operating system version around. Windows XP is good, as it runs a majority of programs and is rather stable.

Correction on the correction:

If companies aren't making drivers for the most popular operating system and you need those drivers to run your equipment, stick with what works until they do it. Don't go out and get the popular OS just because so many people like it. Get what works for you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.