So LRR WILL run on Win10!

aidenpons

My brother tried to run LRR on a Windows 10 machine with no graphic card - integrated graphics all the way! All his attempts were met with failure, except for one executable that worked normally - just run in windowed mode and it was perfect. No admin or compatbility settings! (although you have to change the colour to run in Windowed). It was my Cafeteria copy of LRR (I literally have five functional copies of LRR on my machine l405G.jpg).

Some frantic scrabbling later, and it transpired that the game was only running off its LegoRR0.wad, and that it didn't need Cafeteria. I wondered how it was possible that the game didn't have a LegoRR1.wad and thus no .cfg...

I then extracted that LegoRR0.wad and found that it did indeed have a .cfg - it was the merge of the two wads.

Faffing and fiddling, twiddling and tweaking, I discovered that my mods were nearly all perfectly functional. The one problem is that LRR will crash if I have something's level set to 5 - e.g. the Pilot and the Ore Refinery.

The solution is in Cyrem's Cafeteria. It's that accursed bane of LRR, the eternal curse, that wonky d3drm.dll.

Cyrem has fortunately uploaded his version onto Oresome here, and it works perfectly. Dump it straight into your LRR directory.

All that now needs to be done is find LegoRR.exe -> right-click -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Reduced color mode -> 16-bit.

LRR will magically start up.

(Or at least it does on my machine. Xiron has LRR running on his Win10 machine - I checked with him and he also has one wad).

:D

EDITprobablyabout5orsonow:

Give this a go:

and you'll also need to add -ftm to the Target box (Shortcut -> Right-click -> Properties -> should be a box labelled "Target," add -ftm to the end of it).

Fluffy Cupcake
13 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Xiron has LRR running on his Win10 machine - I checked with him and he also has one wad

And I also do use cafeteria, although I'm pretty sure I got it working before getting that.

I didn't even know Rock Raiders had an issue running on Windows 10, I thought it was related to that AMD card issue. That's been what's prevented me from running it. maybe I've just always played with extracted WADs though.

edit: actually no it crashes on the rockfall animation either way nevermind

Fluffy Cupcake

And you haven't found any desirable way around that? i.e. renabling the driver or using some old safedisc remover program which is almost as old as RR itself?

9 hours ago, Cyrem said:

Haha.

Cafeteria compiles everything into a single WAD, mods and all after you use it for the first time.

I thought there was something fishy about the fact that Cafeteria was in that folder and wondered what it had to do with anything....

It's interesting - I recall Ringtail saying that Lego.cfg needed to be kept in an odd number (so LegoRR1,3 etc). Works quite fine when it's lurking in LegoRR0.wad though l405G.jpg.

Edited by Terrev
ftfy

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of picking later and some odd results occurred.

One: Copying over Cafeteria's files does the trick. You don't even need to run Cafeteria.

Two: Copying over the accursed bane of LRR, d3drm.dll, from Cafeteria, works.

Three: Cyrem has conveniently uploaded aforemetioned d3drm.dll to Oresome.

Four: All that remains to be done is right-click LegoRR.exe (no shortcuts needed), Properties, Compatibility, tick Reduced Colour Mode - 16-bit. You can then run LRR in windowed.

• 2 weeks later...

The starting isnt the problem on Windows 10, its the unplayable lags & graphical issues on that system when played in Full-Screen.

In Windowed Mode it runs nearly fluent but due to its limitation on 640x480 it isnt fun to play with it at that small size. (even without Cafeteria which i just use for the missing music in the 2003 release).

So the lags & graphical distortions are the final issue in my part. Any ideas for that?

16 hours ago, Lego Rockfox said:

The starting isnt the problem on Windows 10, its the unplayable lags & graphical issues on that system when played in Full-Screen.

In Windowed Mode it runs nearly fluent but due to its limitation on 640x480 it isnt fun to play with it at that small size. (even without Cafeteria which i just use for the missing music in the 2003 release).

So the lags & graphical distortions are the final issue in my part. Any ideas for that?

The lags and graphical problems are indeed solvable by Windowed... which does run the game at 640x480.

If you're running in fullscreen all it does is just scale that resolution to your monitor, making it large and pixelated. l405G.jpg

Cafeteria should have a bunch of options about screen resolution in Windowed?

Failing that, you can do what somebody did and auto-hide the taskbar and make your background black....

Just now, Lego Rockfox said:

We´ll see, as far as i remember, the Menu would be in higher resolutions just mixed up. But i´ll test it later.

Oh yes, the menu is a bit of a buggy mess wherever you go.

In-game should be fine though.

well so much for that i cant pass the mode selection with higher resolution, the OK button is greyed out, even when i select "attempt to skip mode selection"

26 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Oh yes, the menu is a bit of a buggy mess wherever you go.

In-game should be fine though.

I managed to get it run now, but it wont run for long. Once i´ll select my save, it crashes.

24 minutes ago, Lego Rockfox said:

well so much for that i cant pass the mode selection with higher resolution, the OK button is greyed out, even when i select "attempt to skip mode selection"

I managed to get it run now, but it wont run for long. Once i´ll select my save, it crashes.

Are you running the game in RGB Emulation? Don't. l405G.jpg

I'm not an expert in Cafeteria (I like a 640x480 window meself l405G.jpg) and can't help you hugely.... Try fiddling with the colour settings of some sort on the program (maybe on Cafeteria?) Rock Raiders needs 16-bit colour to run and Win10 is locked to... 64? 32? Whatever it is, it's not 16 and you can't change it to 16 either. :S (Also, I'm off to bed now so don't expect a reply for the next twenty-four hours (or longer l405G.jpg))

4 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Are you running the game in RGB Emulation? Don't. l405G.jpg

I'm not an expert in Cafeteria (I like a 640x480 window meself l405G.jpg) and can't help you hugely.... Try fiddling with the colour settings of some sort on the program (maybe on Cafeteria?) Rock Raiders needs 16-bit colour to run and Win10 is locked to... 64? 32? Whatever it is, it's not 16 and you can't change it to 16 either. :S (Also, I'm off to bed now so don't expect a reply for the next twenty-four hours (or longer l405G.jpg))

Of course not RGB.

I know that the programm requires 16 Bit & the LegoRR.exe already has that selected.

640x480 wont help me much cause i cant continue my Lets Play with that tiny resolution.

Btw, for what is FVF & NOM in the Card Settings? 

Have you tried running the program as Administrator?

Seems pretty basic, but some people forget to set it, and LegoRR expects that it has administrator permissions to read/write save data.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.