Running LEGO Rock Raiders on Windows 7/8/10 without VirtualBox (simple) also fix lag problems

Mikkel246

Nice that it was updated. Just some additional notes for this guide:

• D3DRM has been uploaded here for some time: https://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/dl-r53/
  • LRR Doesn't use Glide, so Glide settings are irrelevant.
  • D3D8.DLL from dgvoodoo is not needed (it's for Dx8), as LRR uses DirectX 6.
  • vSync should be enabled as this prevents the Black Screen bug some people experience (including myself) when opening a new cavern.
  • Lag can be caused by Windows 10's fullscreen implementation. For most people, the only way around it is Running LRR in Windowed Mode.
  • dgVoodoo 2.53 contains lighting bugs. 2.55.4 works and does not have as many lighting issues.

• 3 months later...
oNoFrostyoGo

Whenever I open Rock Raiders with this wrapper it blinks up for a second and crashes, can't seem to figure it out.

• 1 month later...

I am a little late here but I am trying to run this in Win 7 and the Window that supposed to pop up after running the .exe as an admin doesn't show up.

2 hours ago, nemanuelo said:

I am a little late here but I am trying to run this in Win 7 and the Window that supposed to pop up after running the .exe as an admin doesn't show up.

Cf this topic, but what's the size of LegoRR.icd ?

If it's 0 kB, good. If it's 720 kB, that's not good, your version is copy-protected and I think Win7 will hate that - replace it and the .exe with the Masterpiece Edition on RRU.

If the box isn't showing up it hasn't gotten lost behind some other windows, has it?

8 hours ago, aidenpons said:

Cf this topic, but what's the size of LegoRR.icd ?

If it's 0 kB, good. If it's 720 kB, that's not good, your version is copy-protected and I think Win7 will hate that - replace it and the .exe with the Masterpiece Edition on RRU.

If the box isn't showing up it hasn't gotten lost behind some other windows, has it?

The .icd is 720kb. Ironically all the forums i was reading was telling me that was fine XD

I will have to check this when I get home and will replace the file with the new .icd and .exe.

Hopefully that will fix it!

The issue itself is that when I try to launch the .exe from the folder itself, it launches the .exe but doesn't bring the dgvoodoo selection menu. I did setup the dgvoodoo prior to running but wasn't able to mess with settings across the board to get it to work.

I ran out of ideas as I had to go to be to get to work this morning lol.

I will reply back if I get it fixed because I want to make sure I get some help for those Win7 users! I couldn't find much for Win7 issues besides people saying they got it fixed but never said how lol.

5 hours ago, nemanuelo said:

The .icd is 720kb. Ironically all the forums i was reading was telling me that was fine XD

I will have to check this when I get home and will replace the file with the new .icd and .exe.

Hopefully that will fix it!

The issue itself is that when I try to launch the .exe from the folder itself, it launches the .exe but doesn't bring the dgvoodoo selection menu. I did setup the dgvoodoo prior to running but wasn't able to mess with settings across the board to get it to work.

I ran out of ideas as I had to go to be to get to work this morning lol.

I will reply back if I get it fixed because I want to make sure I get some help for those Win7 users! I couldn't find much for Win7 issues besides people saying they got it fixed but never said how lol.

I don't quite follow, did you try the Masterpiece exe yet? Your old exe will not work because Microsoft removed safedisc compatibilty.

You won't get a dgvoodoo menu when you launch, you will get a Mode Selection window which is in normal LRR when you don't use the generated shortcuts. If you're starting this from the folder you will see this dialog before the game starts.

Dgvoodoo is merely a ddraw proxy that makes some changes to improve compatibility. Most windows 7 users can actually play it without it (unless you have an AMD graphics card which has proven to be a royal pain, you'd be better off with dgvoodoo). 

If you have changed the exe, clicked ok on the dialog and the game then crashes before seeing anything, its because your pc lacks the required codec for the videos, but i expect that to be unlikely on Win7.

Have you gone through any of the step by step guides on this forum for setting up the game with dgvoodoo?

2 hours ago, Cyrem said:

I don't quite follow, did you try the Masterpiece exe yet? Your old exe will not work because Microsoft removed safedisc compatibilty.

You won't get a dgvoodoo menu when you launch, you will get a Mode Selection window which is in normal LRR when you don't use the generated shortcuts. If you're starting this from the folder you will see this dialog before the game starts.

Dgvoodoo is merely a ddraw proxy that makes some changes to improve compatibility. Most windows 7 users can actually play it without it (unless you have an AMD graphics card which has proven to be a royal pain, you'd be better off with dgvoodoo). 

If you have changed the exe, clicked ok on the dialog and the game then crashes before seeing anything, its because your pc lacks the required codec for the videos, but i expect that to be unlikely on Win7.

Have you gone through any of the step by step guides on this forum for setting up the game with dgvoodoo?

*edit

I finally got dgvoodoo to pop open a window, i had to reinstall some things and it worked out!

• 1 year later...

Some time later...

So, the pictures showing how dgVoodoo should be set up are gone. Any idea how it should be set up?

Tried a bit by myself, but can't get it to run.

Edit: Nvm, got it to work absolutely fine. :)

Edited by Trilint
I got it to work by myself

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.