Dino Island Car Building - Crate isn't fitting anywhere!

Zyliath

Firstly, hi! Name's Zyliath - been playing LR and LR2 a lot, and I always enjoy when using it again ;)

I had this kind of question/request for a while, so here it is:

Everyone knows how cool the bre-build DI cars are, yeah? Some of those even have those cool crates (eg. Jungle Truck, Flat Tread Truck, Triangle Tread Truck etc.), yeah?

Well, when I first played the game, I thought to put one of those on my custom car...and it didn't attach at all.

So: anyone knows a way to make it fit, or is there even a car builder mod around here that does that? If not, is it possible to modify this specific brick to make it fit?

Thanks in advance :)

Yeah that brick has irritated me forever, definitely isn't functioning as it should. As far as I know it hasn't been looked into though. Anybody wanting to fix it would probably have to just start poking around the relevant files with a hex editor and figure out how it works.

I could try to poke around it myself if, yet I seem to have lost all LR2 relevant stuff :(

Mind pointing me to the hex editor?

P.S: Damn you nostalgy, I now want to plow through LR2 again! XD

I use HxD, there may be better free options around these days though, just Google around and grab whichever strikes your fancy.

Okay, I might need a small techie hand here.

I managed to track down the forbidden brick - under GAMEDATA/OBJECTS/BRICKS/ADVENTURES/TRIM,  the TOOL BOX BROWN.BDC and the TOOL BOX BROWN.MD2 files.

Right now, I can't remember how to open - if there is any way to - the BDC file, if there even is need for it.

P.S: I just remembered a plugin for Blender for MD2 files :)

15 minutes ago, Zyliath said:

Right now, I can't remember how to open - if there is any way to - the BDC file, if there even is need for it.

A hex editor. There's no dedicated tool for it, people haven't worked with them much. You'll have to poke at the data and figure out how it works.

3 minutes ago, Rock Raider fan no.1 said:

Huh... I thought I managed to put it on a car once...

It's not impossible, just wonky.

Its not only the crate that is the problem. There's the digger piece from sandy bay which is the most useless piece ever to use in LR2. You cannot place a brick on any chassis and you cannot rotate it because of how limited the spaces are. Then again, it does help me to be inspired with my builds so at least its a benefit for me.

4 hours ago, dy_enforcer said:

Its not only the crate that is the problem. There's the digger piece from sandy bay which is the most useless piece ever to use in LR2. You cannot place a brick on any chassis and you cannot rotate it because of how limited the spaces are. Then again, it does help me to be inspired with my builds so at least its a benefit for me.

Not just DI's tool box or Sandy Bay's digger arm, but also the flags, which can't be put anywhere except the chassis itself.

I suppose the digger thing is more of a resize issue, perhaps?

9 hours ago, aidenpons said:

I seem to recall it placing without any issues but that was because I had left a roughly 6x6 space for it on the back of some car.

Ever since I started playing LR2, I have never been able to place that brick anywhere, even if I had a 6x6 space like on the truck chassis or tri-tread chassis.

I've been meddling with the brick's BDC for a while, but I can't seem to guess where the placing problem is. As a note, the HxD for this brick the following: Click me.

I'm running out of ideas, honestly. I tried to modify or add hex's, but nothing worked so far.

Any hint/tip/proposition would be appreciated.

6 hours ago, Zyliath said:

Not just DI's tool box or Sandy Bay's digger arm, but also the flags, which can't be put anywhere except the chassis itself.

I suppose the digger thing is more of a resize issue, perhaps?

Actually the flags can be put in one piece, which is a plate:P. Here is an example using a 1x2 green plate

large.5aafd3bb800e0_Xalaxcar5.png.60578baa9a27e04f99a9fc8c0981c6a5.png

On 12/20/2018 at 12:41 AM, dy_enforcer said:

Actually the flags can be put in one piece, which is a plate:P. Here is an example using a 1x2 green plate

large.5aafd3bb800e0_Xalaxcar5.png.60578baa9a27e04f99a9fc8c0981c6a5.png

It doesn't work with other bricks though, so one more reason to see if i can fix them. ;)

Also, a shame that the two special Artic bricks (sail and blue 24 flag) can't be used properly...well, the sail is effin big, and if you think to resize it every pre-built car is going to become a whole mess, I tried it already. ?

[---]

In other news, I am still looking over the tool box from Dino Island, but I can't seem to guess which string is responsible for snapping the brick itself to a chassis.

In the works, I thought of this: if there is a pre-existing brick that could be roughly assimilated as this brick, is it even possible to copy its hex to the tool box's BTC to make it work?

(maybe it's me that doesn't yet fully understand how an hex editor works :P)

I didn't have a problem with it?

<SNIP>

I'm pretty sure this isn't one of the prebuilt cars, but I could be wrong :P

EDIT: I'm wrong XD

Edited by aidenpons

On 12/21/2018 at 8:55 AM, aidenpons said:
1 hour ago, aidenpons said:
<snip>

Wait...the car you're using is a pre-built one...thonks :s 

But I actually resized the crate from the UNIQUEBRICKSADVENTURES to try out if it would snap anywhere on a chassis, and the pre-build cars showed as a big pile of pieces in the car builder... ?

Coming to think of it, I did resize four bricks within their specific UNIQUEBRICKS files before using UNGTC: Dino Island's tool box, Sandy Bay's digger arm and Arctic's sail and blue 24 flag - when I tried to have a look over at the car builder to see how they did look, it showed a big pile of mess, with random stuff floating around.

Still, my main doubt remains: which string/hex in a brick's hex editor is responsible of snapping and placing a brick on a chassis or another brick.

EDIT: No success so far, can't seem to get those pieces to snap anywhere by modifying the hex. Still trying though - I got myself to think that the first hex string is the one actually responsible for the bricks' placing and snapping, yet the correct hex value hasn't been found yet.

• 1 year later...

I know it might be kind of a thread necroing, but I picked up this old thing of mine to work on - and I think to have made a small step forward.

As of now, I'm trying to fix 4 kinds of bricks: The Arctic sail and blue 24 flag, the generic black/blue/red/white/yellow flags and Dino Island's brown toolbox - small refresh, but back to the point.

I tested out picking a differend block's BCD file and renaming it like the one I want to use - so I picked the generic 1x1 black square BCD and renamed it. Since I have the GAMEDATA extracted and my LR2 plays on without the need for its CD, I made a copy of the original toolbox BCD, then copied the renamed one in its place.

When I tried using the toolbox in the game's car builder, it worked - although it works...a bit funky: it somewhat glitches inside the driver on certain chassis. The same happened when I tried the same with the flags and sail, however I noticed something: they seem to be not aligned correctly with the chassis I use.

Example: I tested the flags with a Sandy Bay chassis, the policecar chassis, which has the driver sat down at its very center, also it's perfectly symmetrical.

Now, do you remember the front and back of this chassis, right? Well, the flags snap anywhere BUT in the very front and back, and snap in the back of the driver where other bricks don't. In the case of the big black skidoo Arctic chassis - which has the front Arctic nose on the chassis itself - the flags just...phase through this piece and snap below it, whereas they should snap ON it.

Just...A MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!

I finally managed to make the generic flags, Arctic's surfer sail and blue 24 flag to be placed as intended - lots of satisfaction, believe me! Still working on Dino Island's toolbox, though. :D

Although I'd like to point out the following:

- The generic flags can be placed in the same way and places as some Sandy Bay pre-built cars and on some Arctic and Xalax pre-built cars, but I'm looking into polishing them.

- The Arctic blue 24 flag works just as I intended for the generic flags, which makes me believe that its hex should be compatible: tests are ongoing!

- The Arctic sail is kind of wonky by itself: when you place it, the game reads it as a solid block at its max height so you can't place anything else even in empty spaces, and the solution to it is to place the flag as the last brick. No, really - just do it this way, and you will be able to make your own Arctic surfer!

As for the DI brown toolbox, I'm working on it as I write, so I hope to be able to make it work soon, and maybe I'll be able to release my brick fix..

Will update soon!

• Like 2

Update: I managed to make Dino Island's toolbox working somehow by literally incorporating a 4x2 brick hex inside the actual tool box hex - not the cleanest work, but it was the only way I could make it work.

As for the rest, what I wrote in the previous post still applies.

As extras, I've tried my hand with other bricks I thought to 'fix':

- Sandy Bay's dumptruck bucket and digger bucket arm: the first works, the second is impossible to place it at the very front of the digger chassis, probably because car builder bounds.

- Mars' left and right rocket boosters: I'm working on those to see if they can fit on the wings as in the 4th prebuilt car.

As soon as I fix the boosters, I'll call this work of mine completed, and a thread in the appropriate section will be made.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.