Hello from a long time lurker!

baraklava

Hi there! 

I'm a lurker here since several years back, but now I figured is a good time to join. I've been an incredible Rock Raiders fan ever since childhood, and the theme has always felt unmatched to me in the rather grim storytelling and atmosphere that the game and lego sets provided. Currently I'm working on creating Rock/Lava/Ice monsters with standard lego pieces as I think the original monster is charming, but clunky (and also not made out of lava!). Other than that, I'm a huge Blacktron fan, even though it was before my time, as well as other older Lego Space themes. 

I'm an engineer (soon, anyway) and programming teacher on a basic-intermediate level so I'm very interested in possibly remaking the game, in HD if nothing else, but I see there are tons of started and dead projects of varying quality already and I have no idea where to start. If someone could give me a rundown of what projects are alive/working and what open-source assets I could use if I want to tinker with that, it would be awesome! Specifically, I've read the model assets are supposed to be available somewhere but I can't find them, same with sound/music assets. 

Off-topic wise I have a huge interest in music and compose my own stuff with varying instruments, mostly piano (classical ish). Sometimes I play around with electronic stuff. I'm also part of the music team on a small community project called Sea Of Greed, a game where you play as Pirate Waluigi, but it is progressing very slowly at the moment.

I probably won't be super active due to my studies but I want to be posting enough to be a part of the Discord eventually! Cheers!

Welcome to RRU! Glad to see you've taken the "Lurk Moar" rule to heart. :P

9 hours ago, baraklava said:

Specifically, I've read the model assets are supposed to be available somewhere but I can't find them

I think the model assets consist of just grabbing the LRR files out of their directory and shoving them through a converter and into whatever :P This is very easy for textures and biomes, should be straightforward for buildings, but vehicles get clunky very quickly :P You might get some useful stuff out of Cave Raiders, but I'm not sure how this works.

As for what's still in development, there's an HTML one as well as Java or suchlike.

See you around!

10 hours ago, aidenpons said:

As for what's still in development, there's an HTML one as well as Java or suchlike.

The HTML one seems really good! Although it's not as charming/nostalgic as the actual game... I was considering possibly doing an Unreal Engine remake, as that's crazy easy to program in now, and free if you don't sell the game for a profit. Guess I'll check around for assets, thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.