Will LEGO Flash Games still be playable after 2020?

Lego David

Adobe Flash is going to get discontinued in December of this year, and I want to know, will the old LEGO Flash Games still be playable after that point? Do I have to save them on my computer, or will they still be playable on the browser?

They'll still be playable; there's still plenty of players out there to play flash content. It just means you'll probably have to download them and then play in something else other than your standard internet browser (like a standalone flash player).

4 hours ago, jamesster said:

They'll still be playable; there's still plenty of players out there to play flash content. It just means you'll probably have to download them and then play in something else other than your standard internet browser (like a standalone flash player).

Would I have to download them before Flash gets taken down, or can they still be downloaded even after 2020 (assuming I have Flash already installed on my computer)?

If a site like the BioMedia Project has them archived, then you can for sure download them. But if I understand correctly, you need to make sure that you have an older version of Flash Player that does not have the 2020 "kill switch" in it. See this for more info on the "kill switch" from Adobe themselves. I'm not sure how easy it is to come across such a version from a trusted source, i.e. that won't give you malware or whatever, so a couple of other options to consider are listed below. As a disclaimer, I have not tried any of these yet, just read a bit about them.

• Using BlueMaxima's Flashpoint. This will work into 2021 and beyond. Some of your above questions are addressed near the top of their extended FAQ.
  • Using some of the open-source players/emulators listed here. At a glance, LightSpark looks like it might be the most promising option presently, and Ruffle the most promising option in the long term.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Cyberbrickmaster86

Since Ruffle is still in beta and still has trouble running some flash content, the most effective way is to download the Adobe Flash player debugger (Make sure it's the debugger to avoid potential viruses), then download a flash game (provided you have the option) and run it through the debugger. Note: some browsers will give you the option to open the file with a specific software, so if you assign the flash file to run with the debugger, it will start loading instantly once downloaded.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.