LEGO Creator 1998 on Windows 10

Caleb Holmberg

Caleb Holmberg

Hello all,

I have been trying to run the 1998 game LEGO Creator on my Windows 10 Laptop, but have been unsuccessful thus far. My computer has the following specs:

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz   2.40 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

It also uses a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650 graphics card. I am trying to install it from the disc through an optical USB CD drive (this is the one I have https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LGWVSL?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details). It reads the disc and allows me to open the CD and look in its folders, but whenever I try starting the autorun application, nothing happens. I tried it on a different Windows 10 PC (with a built-in disc drive) and it worked fine. I have tried setting the compatibility to Windows 98/me and Windows XP Service Pack 3 (both of which have worked on other computers), to no avail. If anyone has any advice, I greatly appreciate it.

Caleb Holmberg

Actually, I was able to install it, but I cannot run creator.exe. It gives me an error saying "Class not registered."

Maybe you can try the 'Windows XP Compatible' version. If that doesn't work use a virtual machine running Windows XP or before.

Hi Caleb,
If you mean the original release of LEGO Creator (the one with the studs on the CD case spine*), I would recommend either going with legoMyeggo's tip or you get/build a computer with Windows 98 as an operating system since this particular version of the game only seems to work on Win 98 and that's it**.

*I don't know, if there are other releases of this game that only work with Win 98

**a few years ago I wrote a post that basically boils down to that. Others managed to get the game to work on more modern systems, but I got the impression that they had the Windows XP version. On the internet I also found people writing about an XP patch, but I couldn't find a reliable source for that and I think that they might have confused it with an XP version:

Caleb Holmberg

So, the disc I have was a later re-release (it came bundled with Legoland) and has worked on Windows XP before. Thanks for your support.

• 5 months later...

I take much pleasure playing video games with my grandchildren on my desktop Windows PC.

Searching for peaceful games I discovered Lego Creator.

Because the game does not run fine with my Windows 10, I experienced some days for.

Suddenly I  succeeded, but I don't know exactly why.

Below is some advice that I think is useful.

My equipments:

Windows 10 Professional Desktop PC with monitor in
resolution 1920 x 1080 and Scale and Layout Factor  125%.

First with the English Version:

I downloaded them all from *Link removed*

There was also Lego_Creator_Win_ROM_EN.zip .
Reading LEGO Media (Creator).reg I saw that the prefered installation location is
"C:\Games\LEGO Creator" . So I created the folder C:\Games .
In the folder LEGO_Creator_Fix_Registry I executed the .reg files.

In the folder LEGO_Creator_NoCD I started Creator.exe and it runs in a small part of my display, but errors showing help.

To fix the help issue I dowloaded Hlp32Fix_Win10.zip from https://www.mediafire.com/file/lde511bu16crr6t/Hlp32Fix_Win10.zip/file and started Install.cmd .

Now in C:\Windows there is winhlp32.exe and there are no errors showing help.

I unpacked Lego_Creator_Win_ROM_EN.zip and in the folder "Game Files" Lego_Creator.bin and Lego_Creator.cue .

I burned a CD with the software ImgBurn, at which I had chosen the .cue file.

Again with ImgBurn I created an  ISO Image file with the extension .iso .
I mounted this .iso file and in the folder Creator
I changed the compatibility option for SETUP.EXE to run for Windows 95 .

By starting SETUP.EXE I installed Lego Creator with all to install in "C:\Games".
This resulted in a folder tree "C:\Games\lego creator" .
I restarted the computer and
set the compatibility option for "C:\Games\lego creator\Constructive\CREATOR\Creator.exe"
to run for Windows 95 .

There was only a small display area used by running this Creator.exe but it looked fine.

Now I searched for a German Version of this game and found *Link removed* .
I downloaded the ISO image
*Link removed* , which needed some time.

Because I installed the English version before, I uninstalled this.

I mounted this ISO image and  in the folder Creator and again I changed the compatibility option for SETUP.EXE to run for Windows 95 . Started SETUP.EXE and chose the same folder to install as before and all to install. Again, I restarted the computer and
set the compatibility option for "C:\Games\lego creator\Constructive\CREATOR\Creator.exe"
to run for Windows 95 .

Running this Creator.exe there is an error:
Läuft nicht unter Windows NT (don't run with Windows NT).

Now I zipped "C:\Games\lego creator" with the hope to be able to replace some files and folders in the English version.

I uninstalled this German version and the question about uninstalling unused files I answered none for all.

Again I installed the English version as before and it ran.

Now I expanded the zip file from the German installation and replaced this items
with that from the German version:

"C:\Games\lego creator\Constructive\CREATOR\CTXLEGO.HLP"

"C:\Games\lego creator\Constructive\CREATOR\Tutorial"

"C:\Games\lego creator\Constructive\CREATOR\Wav\help"

"C:\Games\lego creator\Constructive\CREATOR\Wav\Iface"

Now Lego Creator runs with German text and voices .

But I had troubles with the playing field, which was too small.

One day later Lego Creator runs without troubles.

Perhaps this registry entries are advantageous:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"C:\\Games\\lego creator\\Constructive\\CREATOR\\Creator.exe" = "~     WIN95"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store]

"C:\\Games\\lego creator\\Constructive\\CREATOR\\Creator.exe"=hex:53,41,43,50,\

01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,07,00,00,00,28,00,00,00,00,3a,b7,00,bd,3d,b7,00,01,\

00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,01,05,71,20,00,00,50,bb,64,ed,dd,ac,d5,01,00,00,\

00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,28,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,60,00,04,00,\

00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,88,42,17,00,00,00,00,00,05,00,00,00,\

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{956D7489-572E-47B6-8B0A-4BE3E0181E94}Machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Display]

"EnablePerProcessSystemDPIForProcesses"="\"C:\\Games\\lego creator\\Constructive\\CREATOR\\Creator.exe\""

"DisablePerProcessSystemDPIForProcesses"=""

"EnableGdiDPIScaling"="\"C:\\Games\\lego creator\\Constructive\\CREATOR\\Creator.exe\""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{956D7489-572E-47B6-8B0A-4BE3E0181E94}User\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Display]

"EnablePerProcessSystemDPIForProcesses"="\"C:\\Games\\lego creator\\Constructive\\CREATOR\\Creator.exe\""

"DisablePerProcessSystemDPIForProcesses"=""

Hello @Erhy,

Welcome to RRU, I have deleted the links in your post as posting links to pirated copies of games is against the rules:

DO NOT Post or Upload Illegal Material
Rock Raiders United DOES NOT support piracy. You are NOT permitted to share links, upload or make available publically or privately: full games, applications or media that would otherwise need to be purchased or licensed from the IP holder (the owner of the content). This does not apply to content that is released by the IP Holder as demo, freeware, trial and other license types for public sharing.

There are certain situations where you may share limited files or samples of software/media for the purpose of achieving interoperability or providing education. This is so that tools can be created to read/write or otherwise interact with the shared files of software/media and further documented.

Other situations where limited parts of software or media may be permitted are for the purpose of providing support or correcting software bugs. For example: To improve or make software/media compatible with newer systems or to provide missing content the software owner should have received.

We understand such exceptions can make it difficult to decide whether some content is allowed to be posted. If you are unsure about a file you wish to upload, please contact one of the members of the moderation team. Links or Uploads may be removed at the request of the original author or copyright holder, or at the discretion of the moderation team at any time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.