Time Raiders

Cirevam

TIME RAIDERS BETA 1 RELEASED

DOWNLOAD LINK IN FIRST POST

Thanks for posting the Beta...looking forward to playing after all 40mins of downloading it, then 40mins of downloading music...stupid Telstra...I'll try do a Matt-style review ;P

DO YOU HAVE TO SPEAK SO LOUDY?

Addictgamer

TIME RAIDERS BETA 1 RELEASED

DOWNLOAD LINK IN FIRST POST

Large text for the noobs :af:

I'll try this out someday.

I don't know if I announced this officially yet, but I'm going to make a patch soon that will add more vehicles that I didn't have time to remake or reinstall. The three I'm thinking of are the Wave Master (remake), the Howitzer (fix and reinstall) and Unraveler (fix and reinstall). It shouldn't take that much time but I'm not setting a deadline for it.

• 2 months later...

So hey, screw the Howitzer. I just finished up the model of the Assault Cruiser and I'll experiment with the Cargo Carrier loading animations shortly. I'm also nearly done updating the Unraveler model, but I will have to edit all of the animations because the skeleton changed in some places. It's nothing more than sliding a few things around, but it might be a pain. I'm not going to say "expect the vehicle expansion by this date", but if my roommate stops buying multiplayer games, I could get this done soon. In the meantime, I'll be updating the wiki with new info.

I'd really love to get this and a monster pack done by Christmas... but the monster pack will take a lot longer since I have to use imagination for them.

• 1 month later...

Hey, here's some Assault Cruiser. It comes free with a universe-breaking guarantee.

gallery_27_60_70090.png

gallery_27_60_223865.png

The fire nulls in the first picture have been fixed, but the problem in the second picture is maybe unsolvable. The Assault Cruiser treats vehicles as materials and will happily deposit vehicles into the Command Ship, which causes the universe to tear apart. However, I realized that the Tunnel Transport doesn't do this, so there may be hope. If I can't fix this, then I'll have to remove the Assault Cruiser's carrying ability. I would also redesign the cruiser so there isn't a huge empty spot in the middle, probably by putting the engines in there. Do you have any thoughts if I have to redesign it?

The Assault Cruiser treats vehicles as materials and will happily deposit vehicles into the Command Ship, which causes the universe to tear apart. However, I realized that the Tunnel Transport doesn't do this, so there may be hope.

The TT can't enter the toolstore by default; so I would check if the TT has the same problem with that line enabled. If it doesn't, then there's definitely hope for your Assault Cruiser.

• 2 weeks later...

The Unraveler has an idle animation.

I just :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af:

Also what's with the buggy changing models when it does special things like getting on the boat?

I haven't made every animation for the vehicles yet. I keep the files for the base vehicles in so I can use all of their functions until I make the custom animations.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Public Update (wow that's rare)

I think it's time to show ya'll a little of what I've been doing. If you've been on Skype lately you have probably seen most of this. Most of these are visual things, and some have helped me learn a little more about how LRR works. First up is the most useless weapon in Time Raiders, the Shard Shot:

gallery_27_60_179866.png

This weapon was developed to be effective against fleshy creatures like slugs. It shoots re-energized shards of depleted Energy Crystals (assuming that black = unusable and purple = rechargeable), but the energy used causes the crystal to rapidly decay, so the range of the weapon is limited by how quickly the shards decay... which is a little more than a second. This makes it an excellent short-range weapon that is indeed effective against creatures that aren't made out of rock, but since raiders are stupid they start firing it outside of the weapon's effective range. Due to these drawbacks, the Time Raiders typically use the Plasma Beam, which is reasonably effective against all monsters and has a mondo range.

Next is a bit on the Bruiser. You may know that they carry around a minigun, but a while back I gave them an update which turns their weapon into a multi-purpose tool. It's the Laser Saw Gun Combo, or LSGC. I had only made the firing animation for it, but I completed the drilling animation a week or so ago. Check it:

gallery_27_60_30167.png

gallery_27_60_161718.png

Considering how the LSGC does two of a Time Raider's three main functions (drilling, shooting, and carrying), I'm considering having a material attach point somewhere on it so the Bruiser always carries his weapon visibly. Maybe there will be a backpack on the raider, maybe there will be some contraption so that he can hold the gun one-handed, I don't know. You can give me your ideas if you wish.

Next up is the running lights mod. After realizing how headlight effects don't look all that great since they clip through things, I had a genius moment: don't make them reach as far, blockhead. I shortened the light cones, and while making driver animations I also realized that I shouldn't be putting the lights into the vehicle's animations, I should be putting them into the raider's animations. Thus, whenever a raider is driving a vehicle, the headlights turn on. These look wicked gnarly now. In fact, they're so gnarly that I've reverted to using early 90's slang. Why wad, why?

gallery_27_6_286812.png

gallery_27_60_76836.png

Finally, I'll announce that Vehicle Pack 1 will be released sometime before I start my final semester, which starts in mid-January. I can safely announce this since the Wave Master is done except for sounds, the Unraveler is close to completion barring some animations and nifty visual effects, and the Assault Cruiser is flogging me but Lair pointed something out with it that might help me later. If this isn't released sometime in January, assume my computer exploded like last time. If my computer actually has a major hardware failure, regardless of whatever backups I have, I'm going to drop TR entirely because it will be obvious that the powers that be are giving me warnings... but I'll upload all the files so that people can still play with what's finished. I doubt that will happen, though.

• Like 2

I think this one made me wet myself a little...a lot...let's break it down.

Public Update (wow that's rare)

Nah s***.

First up is the most useless weapon in Time Raiders, the Shard Shot.

This weapon was developed to be effective against fleshy creatures like slugs. It shoots re-energized shards of depleted Energy Crystals (assuming that black = unusable and purple = rechargeable), but the energy used causes the crystal to rapidly decay, so the range of the weapon is limited by how quickly the shards decay... which is a little more than a second. This makes it an excellent short-range weapon that is indeed effective against creatures that aren't made out of rock, but since raiders are stupid they start firing it outside of the weapon's effective range. Due to these drawbacks, the Time Raiders typically use the Plasma Beam, which is reasonably effective against all monsters and has a mondo range.

At least it looks cool...sort of like a shaved Ice Cream truck...

Next is a bit on the Bruiser. You may know that they carry around a minigun, but a while back I gave them an update which turns their weapon into a multi-purpose tool. It's the Laser Saw Gun Combo, or LSGC. I had only made the firing animation for it, but I completed the drilling animation a week or so ago.

Considering how the LSGC does two of a Time Raider's three main functions (drilling, shooting, and carrying), I'm considering having a material attach point somewhere on it so the Bruiser always carries his weapon visibly. Maybe there will be a backpack on the raider, maybe there will be some contraption so that he can hold the gun one-handed, I don't know. You can give me your ideas if you wish.

Probably the coolest mod EVER. Are you just using the animations to manually make him always be using the tool for all purposes, or is it some form of coding I've missed out on?

If I were you, I'd have them wearing that one neck piece which has the one stud on the back of the minifigure, and use that as an attach point. They can then actually grab it and replace it in every animation.

Next up is the running lights mod. After realizing how headlight effects don't look all that great since they clip through things, I had a genius moment: don't make them reach as far, blockhead. I shortened the light cones, and while making driver animations I also realized that I shouldn't be putting the lights into the vehicle's animations, I should be putting them into the raider's animations. Thus, whenever a raider is driving a vehicle, the headlights turn on. These look wicked gnarly now. In fact, they're so gnarly that I've reverted to using early 90's slang. Why wad, why?

Holy crap, those lights were amazing. And, see, I would have never though of doing that. You're the boss, man.

Finally, I'll announce that Vehicle Pack 1 will be released sometime before I start my final semester, which starts in mid-January. I can safely announce this since the Wave Master is done except for sounds, the Unraveler is close to completion barring some animations and nifty visual effects, and the Assault Cruiser is flogging me but Lair pointed something out with it that might help me later. If this isn't released sometime in January, assume my computer exploded like last time.

This thing is gonna be sweet; even more mods to *ahem* 'research'...

If my computer actually has a major hardware failure, regardless of whatever backups I have, I'm going to drop TR entirely because it will be obvious that the powers that be are giving me warnings... but I'll upload all the files so that people can still play with what's finished. I doubt that will happen, though.

This is completely necessary.

D8

What's up with the computer? Needs a headlight fluid change?

Anyways, fantastic update...I was waiting for you to say something on the manner. Keep up with the good stuff, dawg!

Are you just using the animations to manually make him always be using the tool for all purposes, or is it some form of coding I've missed out on?

It's just animation editing. Unfortunately this means I'll have to make new animations for everything the Bruiser can do...

• Like 2

Needs a headlight fluid change?

DID YOU JUST SAY... HEADLIGHT FLUID!? The Stupid Brit brand?

Maybe he just needs a wiper juice refill...

@Cirevam Awesome update! The headlights looks really cool. I remember you talking about it on Skype.

After discovering that the Tunnel Transport dumps carried vehicles into the Command Ships, just like the Assault Cruiser does, I've come to the conclusion that there is something horribly wrong with the Command Ships that compels nearby raiders to sacrifice their brethren to the gods. Thus, I'm preventing unneeded bloodshed by removing the Assault Cruiser's ability to carry and moving its engines into the cargo bay. If you want to cross a river to move your mining ops, suck it up and send your Command Ship across. It's mobile for a reason. Here is a picture for your review:

gallery_27_60_91629.png

As for balancing issues, the AC currently obsoletes the Howitzer, as the AC is faster, starts with two lasers, and can cross water. The Howitzer is slow and is basically a long-range turret that can upgrade to get another laser (maybe another monster buster, maybe a drill lazer) and heavier armour. I'm thinking it should get a long-range radar to complement its sniperness (the AC already upgrades to get a short-range radar). Though I haven't made the new Howitzer design, it won't conform to Lego brick standards since it's from the future raiders. Give me both your thoughts on the new AC design and your ideas for the Howitzer. I'll supply pictures of the old Howitzer if you want.

• Like 2

The AC looks alright like that. In fact, it looks sleeker and faster.

As for the Howitzer, it should have a more powerful damage or a rapid fire. And the cannon should be monstrously huge... maybe an armored cockpit with a small reinforced slit to look out, or just a reinforced scanner with the Raider completely encased in an armor. There needs to be a door though so he doesn't die. We don't want THAT, do we?

yes we do.

gallery_27_60_68450.png

It's finally here! Time Raiders Vehicle Pack 1 is my gift to you for Christmas. See the first post for download links.You should read the included readme file for details, but if you're too lazy to do that, I stuck it in the game too. They both say roughly the same thing, but please read the standalone one as it warns about a particular bug I haven't fixed.

Inside you'll also find two wallpapers, one for 4:3 monitors, and other for 16:9 monitors. Use them however you wish. Merry Christmas.

Also, feel free to post pictures of weird or cool things that you do in/with this mod. I don't mind at all, and you might inspire some neat ideas.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

We're not dead, folks. But you will be:

To formally announce the next content pack, the Time Raiders Monster Mash, I'm presenting a preview of the Crystal Warrior. This is a rare monster in the Crystal biome, but it's very fast and can do even more damage to buildings than a standard monster. The model you see here is not rigged and may not be final, but it's very close to completion so you know what to expect. Other monsters that have their models complete and rigged are the Ghost Slug, which you can see on the wiki, the Spectre, and the... well, I'm really not at liberty to say. In the meantime... this is where I get off.

*adjusts tie*

We're not dead, folks. But you will be: Don't quote the entire post above you especially if it contains a large image.

To formally announce the next content pack, the Time Raiders Monster Mash, I'm presenting a preview of the Crystal Warrior. This is a rare monster in the Crystal biome, but it's very fast and can do even more damage to buildings than a standard monster. The model you see here is not rigged and may not be final, but it's very close to completion so you know what to expect. Other monsters that have their models complete and rigged are the Ghost Slug, which you can see on the wiki, the Spectre, and the... well, I'm really not at liberty to say. In the meantime... this is where I get off.

*adjusts tie*

Wow that is awsome :gasp::o i cant wait to fight it xD also are you keeping the game's original monsters or taking them out :?: i hope they stay i kind of like them :).

• Cyrem pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.