Limit to Lines?

Lair

I tried to add a new (6th) Biome into the game, but it crahsed. So I put ;s in front of the biome... and it continued to crash.

WHAT?

It was removed before I put it in. And after

Just being there makes it crash, even with ; before it.

Help?

No I mean have you tried removing those lines completely, and testing to see if the game loads again?

It was removed before I put it in. And after

Yes.

And it isn't the skin (Your Frosty Ice cavern). I tested it eslewhere. But when adding it in as a new skin, the game ALWAYS CRASHED, EVEN WITH ;

Addictgamer

If the problem is too many lines, just add in several more vehicles instead of the biome.

If the problem appears after adding vehicles, then, yes, there is a limit

If not, then it is something else and I probably can't help there.

Wait, a sixth biome?

You mean you already added 2 more before it?

There might be a limit on the biomes, not the lines in the cfg.

Weird how even with the comment it fails...

You know how the cfg starts with

Lego* {

Main {

}

}

for example.

Try adding it in a different 'sublevel' in Lego*, like, create a new one named Biome or something.

I'm not sure if 'sublevels' need asterisks or not.

Well if there's a limit, then that really sucks... I wonder if there's a way to get lego.cfg to link to another .cfg file and add new stuff there? Or perhaps hexedit a second string that calls for lego1.cfg... assuming extreme ever finishes his .exe list.

If the problem is too many lines, just add in several more vehicles instead of the biome.

If the problem appears after adding vehicles, then, yes, there is a limit

If not, then it is something else and I probably can't help there.

Wait, a sixth biome?

You mean you already added 2 more before it?

There might be a limit on the biomes, not the lines in the cfg.

Weird how even with the comment it fails...

You know how the cfg starts with

Lego* {

Main {

}

}

for example.

Try adding it in a different 'sublevel' in Lego*, like, create a new one named Biome or something.

I'm not sure if 'sublevels' need asterisks or not.

I added another monster, and even ;'d it... and RAAAAAAAGE IT CRASHED AGAIN

Addictgamer

Then I guess there is a limit to the lines.

Try the different sub-level idea. It might work.

Move ALL the biome code into it though, not just some.

I highly doubt there is a limit to lines. Maybe there is a limit to vehicles, but I doubt lines. The only exception I can see is if there is not enough memory able to load up the .cfg, but that is a very advance condition.

Maybe there is a limit to vehicles

Ridable Slimey Slugs say you're wrong.

Addict, I still don't get what to put

TheEPICtrainrider

Here's what you do. Simply add the biome, then remove one line. If it still crashes remove another. Keep doing this until it stops crashing. Then tell us the total number of lines.

Removing one line after another while keeping the biome stable would be extremely difficult. Maybe removing one line from anywhere in the CFG that won't crash the game would produce fewer headaches. Another thing that might help is seeing how large the file is on disk. Mine's 250 kb, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lair's is well over 500 with all the content he's adding. 20+ monsters tend to mess things up.

Addictgamer

how large the file is on disk

There are two heading in properties.

One says size on disk, and another says size. (Something like that)

Double check.

The difference is two kb for me and mine is still larger than Lair's. We won't be getting anywhere until we do a full size comparison.

My CFG has 9,910 lines according to Word. 252 kb on disk. It's borked at the moment but it was working not too long ago. No biomes added, no levels added, several raiders and vehicles added.

Anonymouse

As someone prevously said, remove the code for the biome completely rrather than ;ing it out. It might have been caused by a separate CFG mod which you forrgot about. Or maybe you forgot a } on the previous biome or something. Who knows?

IT'S THE SIZE OF THE FILE!

Before crashing, I got to 239656 characters

Size: 248 KB (254,458 bytes)

Size on Disk: 252 KB (258,048 bytes)

Then I added one more letter, it crahsed. Took one away, it worked.

RTPU WILL NOT BE WORKED ON UNTIL THIS IS SOLVED. THERE CAN'T BE A SIZE LIMIT, CAN THERE?

Addictgamer

Well that sucks.

Maybe there's a limit to the tags, not the actual file.

Try splitting the cfg into multiple tags.

Like, after 'Lego* { }' add 'Lego2* { }' and put everything up to the levels in 'Lego* { }' and everything else in 'Lego2* { }'.

My last working CFG has 192,006 characters without spaces and 242,311 with spaces, and I assume you're counting spaces. My CFG is obviously larger but was operational. I guess you'll just have to budget your characters for right now, taking out unnecessary line breaks and comments.

Well that sucks.

Maybe there's a limit to the tags, not the actual file.

Try splitting the cfg into multiple tags.

Like, after 'Lego* { }' add 'Lego2* { }' and put everything up to the levels in 'Lego* { }' and everything else in 'Lego2* { }'.

I'll try that.

Besides, I had 3 levels I deleted and I know it was bigger than 250K

My last working CFG has 192,006 characters without spaces and 242,311 with spaces, and I assume you're counting spaces. My CFG is obviously larger but was operational. I guess you'll just have to budget your characters for right now, taking out unnecessary line breaks and comments.

Hm...

Addictgamer

How much ram do you have?

Have you tried upping texture usage?

Run RR as admin?

Check how much ram unmodded RR allocates with how much your modded one does.

How much ram do you have?

Enough

Have you tried upping texture usage?

Yes

Run RR as admin?

It crashed

Check how much ram unmodded RR allocates with how much your modded one does.

And I put it in a wad and it still crashed

Do you run the game in debug mode? The game is more tolerable to changes in debug, it was the only way that Cyrem could increase the resolution...

Addict, Cire, do you run in debug mode? I'm always in debug mode and I have very few crashes from modding the cfg.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.