Cave Raiders (Rebuild of Rock Raiders)

Packer

No, make a button to disable it. The game looks better with the bobbing.

Ya, option to disable it. Who doesn't love tons of options?

The indecisive.

Wi....fail? I'm pretty sure the indecisive would be constantly changing the options. The decisive would find what they like, then keep it that way.

If there were no options, then people would complain about something whether they're indecisive or not.[/offtopic]

Nice work. I look forward to testing this out. It'll give me something else to do while paint.net sits there and stares at me tauntingly.

Edit: I like the abyss in the WIP level... now if the game would register that I've fallen to my death and end/restart-from-checkpoint instead of falling endlessly, that'd be great. ;)

Edit2: Why isn't this in the ORR section? I mean it's not quite the same since it's more of an RPG based game than an RTS... but since it's MMO-capable, this could be the equivalent of an RTS where each "unit" is replaced by individual players.

but since it's MMO-capable, this could be the equivalent of an RTS where each "unit" is replaced by individual players.

That's not what an RTS is, though.

But it has nothing to do with ORR.

This is a completely different project.

Agreed.

Its not an RTS and by god its not an MMO. The head bobbing is rigged into the characters animation itself, if you don't like the bobbing while moving then press Tab and go into third person mode (its what I have to do in Arma II sometimes).

Its not an RTS and by god its not an MMO. The head bobbing is rigged into the characters animation itself, if you don't like the bobbing while moving then press Tab and go into third person mode (its what I have to do in Arma II sometimes).

Yay, much better.

Seeing that this is just an alpha and all, there's not much to say other than the following:

"Good luck!"

and

"I love driving vehicles. Good job."

Another reason not to put this in the ORR section: Torque isn't open-source.

Anyway, about to test this.

Anyway, I can confirm it runs on Win7 64Bit.

Same, though I didn't need to add the DLLs.

I also confirm that, it works for me in Win7 64 bit, and I didn't need to add anything. Ready out of the zip.

I also confirm that, it works for me in Win7 64 bit, and I didn't need to add anything. Ready out of the zip.

I also confirm this; no DLL's needed. I haven't trie dit on Win7 32-bit yet, but I will when I have the chance to.

Also, I'd like to add that normally, a one-wall-thick section of wall is supposed to collapse; in this game, there can exist a 1 x 1 section of wall, while in the normal game, the smallest possible is 2 x 2....

Also, I'd like to add that normally, a one-wall-thick section of wall is supposed to collapse; in this game, there can exist a 1 x 1 section of wall, while in the normal game, the smallest possible is 2 x 2....

Don't make me tap the title, because I really hate stating the dead obvious.

Don't make me tap the title, because I really hate stating the dead obvious.

I was only stating a fact; I was not making a suggestion.

but since it's MMO-capable, this could be the equivalent of an RTS where each "unit" is replaced by individual players.

That's not what an RTS is, though.

But it has nothing to do with ORR.

This is a completely different project.

Agreed.

1. I said it could be an equivalent of one, not it is one.

2. ORR isn't a single project, why can't this be another one? I can't find a thread in the ORR section that officially states what ORR is and what the stipulations are for any projects to be classed as "ORR."

2. ORR isn't a single project, why can't this be another one? I can't find a thread in the ORR section that officially states what ORR is and what the stipulations are for any projects to be classed as "ORR."

Wrong. ORR is a single project, with several forks.

ORR is a remake of RR. This isn't a remake. This is a multiplayer first person (first person as in you're limited to controlling one unit) game heavily based on RR.

It also has a different name.

And finally, I told him to post this topic here when asked.

1. I said it could be an equivalent of one, not it is one.

Indeed you did. My mistake and apologies for mis-reading.

Addict answered the other point.

Alright guys, I'm up for suggestions now, I just called off my main project Zelda World and I'm actually gonna start designing this game properly, though making it is an entirely different thing without a coder. As for those "Copyright" stuff, Lego Rock Raiders is 10 years old, I don't see how my small fan-game that I'm only releasing to this community and well as another community is really going to effect them specially that they've stop earning from it (Well 10 years is a long time).

For suggestions try to keep it Cannon with Rock Raiders, IE don't suggest something like a Tank or some far fetched thing. I'm specifically looking for gameplay elements, how players would work together to achieve their goal but also still be fun and enjoyable along the way. I am able to do a lot of environment level related things but content such as an intense menu system that do "stuff" and "things" is out of my capabilities. Oh well just suggest away and I'll just reply to what ever you suggest, but be prepared for getting shut down, I'm very forward about these things.

lol do u need a coder? i am one i have coded for 1 year, i have created a couple of 3d games, i know c++,java,sql,c#,and visual basic. D3d is my speciality when i code c++. if you need me i am here

Suggestions? I've got them.

Add in the fabled red energy crystal that appears in the ps version of RR.

Allow for insanely large levels with several bases. Players can choose to work for base xyz and accomplish that base's goals.

The bases either work together or work against each other to accomplish their goals.

Organized monster attacks/raids. Not simply, "oh look, 1 slug" or "oh look, one rock monster". But, more like, "ok look, 1 rock monster. *kills* *several mins later* OH NOES, THAT WAS JUST A SCOUT. IT'S AN ARMY OF ROCK MONSTERS."

Allow for construction of bases.

And I'm sure I have more suggestions. This is all for tonight though.

So first of all:

I disagree with insanely large maps. While I do like the idea of multiple bases, I don't think the maps should be too large, especially considering the RR theme's monotony - it'd be easy to get lost in big maps (any minecraft alpha players will know what I'm talking about...) for lack of specific landmarks. They should be easy to navigate.

About working against each other: Yes, but I think we should keep it logical - no actual fighting between the divisions. We could say that the mining company/organisation/whatever sets up smaller teams who all have the target of looking best to the parent company, getting more resources and therefore bigger paychecks. So competition over resources, but no combat. I'd also like the idea of a resource race - whoever has the most ore/ECs stored after a specific amount of time OR when all the ore and ECs in the map are collected wins.

Bases working together: no raider should belong to a specific base in cooperation - there should simply be several bases so that the player can always go to the nearest rather than going a long distance back.

And finally: I think this should not be an MMO, and that levels/missions should be designed in such a way that they do not take longer than half an hour to complete a single game, so that people with less time can play it too.

I have more ideas but am tired of typing this post so I'll be back with them later :P

ok so i tried to start it but i get this error message:

Failed to set a light manager!

then it crashs with the: "Rock Raider.exe has encounter a problem and needs to close"

also i get some other errors in the "console" file which i've put in the spoiler:

//-------------------------- 12/15/2010 -- 14:24:27 -----

Processor Init:

Intel Core, ~1.60 Ghz

FPU detected

MMX detected

SSE detected

SSE2 detected

MP detected [1 cores, 1 logical, 1 physical]

Math Init:

Installing Standard C extensions

Installing Assembly extensions

Installing FPU extensions

Installing MMX extensions

Installing SSE extensions

Initializing platform...

Input Init:

keyboard0 input device created.

mouse0 input device created.

DirectInput enabled.

Done

SFXFMODProvider - Could not locate 'fmodex.dll' or 'fmodexp.dll' - FMOD not available.

GFX Init:

Direct 3D (version 9.x) device found

Null device found

DebugDrawer Enabled!

--------- Loading DIRS ---------

Missing file: tools/main.cs!

Error: Unable to find specified directory: tools

--------- Parsing Arguments ---------

Binding server port to default IP

UDP initialized on port 0

Attempting to create GFX device: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP (D3D9)

Device created, setting adapter and enumerating modes

Failed to create hardware device, trying mixed device

Failed to create mixed mode device, trying software device

Cur. D3DDevice ref count=1

Pix version detected: 0.000000

Vert version detected: 3.000000

Maximum number of simultaneous samplers: 2

Number of simultaneous render targets: 1

Hardware occlusion query detected: No

Using Direct3D9Ex: No

WMIVideoInfo: DxDiag initialized

Initializing GFXCardProfiler (D3D9)

o Chipset : 'VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP'

o Card : 'VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP'

o Version : '6.14.0010.0359'

- Scanning card capabilities...

GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'autoMipMapLevel' to 0.

GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'maxTextureWidth' to 2048.

GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'maxTextureHeight' to 2048.

GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'maxTextureSize' to 2048.

GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'lerpDetailBlend' to 1.

GFXCardProfiler (D3D9) - Setting capability 'fourStageDetailBlend' to 0.

- Loading card profiles...

- Loaded card profile core/profile/D3D9.cs

- No card profile core/profile/D3D9.VIAS3GUniChromeProIGP.cs exists

- No card profile core/profile/D3D9.VIAS3GUniChromeProIGP.VIAS3GUniChromeProIGP.cs exists

- No card profile core/profile/D3D9.VIAS3GUniChromeProIGP.VIAS3GUniChromeProIGP.61400100359.cs exists

% - PostFX Manager - Executing core/scripts/client/postFx/default.postfxpreset.cs

% - PostFX Manager - Applying from preset

% - PostFX Manager - PostFX enabled

% - Initialized Core

--------- Initializing Directory: scripts ---------

sfxStartup...

SFXSystem::createDevice - created OpenAL device 'Generic Software'

Provider: OpenAL

Device: Generic Software

Hardware: No

Buffers: 16

--------- Initializing Rock Raiders: Server Scripts ---------

--------- Initializing Rock Raiders: Client Scripts ---------

--------- Initializing Lighting Systems ---------

--------------

Attempting to set resolution to "1024 768 false 32 60 0"

Accepted Mode:

--Resolution : 1024 768

--Full Screen : No

--Bits Per Pixel : 16

--Refresh Rate : 60

--FSAA Level 0

--------------

GFXPCD3D9Device::reset - depthstencil 1934e0 has 2 ref's

--- Resetting D3D Device ---

GFXPCD3D9Device::reset - depthstencil 1934e0 has 2 ref's

--- Resetting D3D Device ---

Binding server port to default IP

UDP initialized on port 0

Engine initialized...

ok so i tried to start it but i get this error message:

then it crashs with the: "Rock Raider.exe has encounter a problem and needs to close"

also i get some other errors in the "console" file which i've put in the spoiler:

The problem with Torque 3D is that it seems half the time for it won't work which is really annoying because its such a fun engine to work with.

I may have found a work around but no guarantees.

Go to Rock Raiders/scripts/Client/

Copy and paste one of the files in there and rename it to prefs.cs

then open it with Notepad and delete all the contents inside,

add this line of code $pref::lightManager = "Basic Lighting";

to it then save it then try loading the game again.

I also found my old Tech tree which I think I'll stick to until a later date.

Tech%20Tree.png

Oooooo

RMarm.png

lolitsface

About the tech tree, I can't make sense of it.

Serious comment about the rock monster: it doesn't really look that "rocky" (the head)... Maybe convert all the quads to triangles then play around with the vertices a little bit? Though I think it'll probably look rockier with textures anyway.

Thats half and hours work, gotta give me way more time to actually finish it. The Tech tree has lines that you can't see on this forum click this link. Lines basically mean pre-requirements, the numbers stand for upgrades. As for the Rock monster getting good reference is harder then it would seem, I'm currently going off of the Lego figure, LRR Case and this.

You know all you have to do to get a direct reference is to import the Rock Monster's high-poly head parts. If you want to do that yourself, the models are in LegoRR0\Creatures\Rmonster and the two files are headnojaw.lwo and jaw.lwo. If you don't have the time, I could snap some pictures tomorrow morning or export the model in whatever format you want.

• lol username locked this topic