LEGO Island: Source (Help Needed!) -Update-

Crystalwarrior

6 members have voted

1. 1. Are you gonna help us?

I find it's good to use engines that are not as flexible as it challenges you to find new and better ways to do things.

So long as it's not as limiting as G.O.D.S...

I find it's good to use engines that are not as flexible as it challenges you to find new and better ways to do things.

G.O.D.S was probably pretty good back in the day.

G.O.D.S was probably pretty good back in the day.

One word: Quake.

Minifig9292

Use the Episode 2 engine.

Trust me.

It's extremely flexible and allows for more high quality stuff.

The portal engine is just... just don't okay.

Use whatever engine you feel comfortable with. If you go jumping around different engines, you project won't get anywhere. I find it's good to use engines that are not as flexible as it challenges you to find new and better ways to do things.

Yes but a guy whos starting out a mod from scratch should not do that.

Also:

I know source like the back of my hand, you don't.

This isn't something you can mess with like LRR. Since these games require Steam to run you cannot go messing with some integral files or Steam will think you've pirated it.

If it has a huge problem with the engine itself there is no fix at all. Trust me. I've been on 4 different mod teams. I have experience with this s***.

Using the portal engine is a terrible idea. It also doesn't have to great of AI support, Unless you want the Island to be populated by Zombies and turrets.

And switching to another engine type is so freaking easy since it's all source. (NOTE: The Portal2 engine has no mod support what so ever)

Since all he has is that map and some models, convert the map to the Ep2 format.

Then edit/create a file named "Gameinfo.txt" in the mod's main folder.

The .txt file should look like this:

"GameInfo"

{

game	"<modname>"

type	singleplayer_only

title	"<Text to apear on title screen>"

developer "<your name/team name>"

developer_url "<website>"

icon "resource/<Icon file here>"

FileSystem

{

SteamAppId	218	// This will mount all the GCFs we need (240=CS:S, 220=HL2, 420=EP2, 218=SRCSDKOB).

ToolsAppId	211	// Tools will load this (ie: source SDK caches) to get things like materials\debug, materials\editor, etc.

AdditionalContentId 420 // Makes Half-Life 2 content available ingame. 

// NOTICE: There's several bugs when playing the Half-Life 2 maps. We don't offer support for this!

version		152

SearchPaths

{

Game	|gameinfo_path|.

Game	ep2

Game	episodic

Game	hl2

}

}

}

• 3 weeks later...
Crystalwarrior

Bump to tell: Thanks for Katatonic, I know how to make props have textures, and also I am working on LEGO island models!

But, the problem is I need screenshots of ALL LEGO island buildings. If I get them, I would be able to actually make the models of buildins more accurate!

~~UPDATE!!~~

I need someone who knows how to use LDraw program and haves LEGO Island models recreated there! This will help us in making model files!

LDraw is great and all, but I'm not sure it can handle of the bricks required...I can probably be of assistance in getting better models, however.

I need to know what format you want them in.

Crystalwarrior

~~UPDATE!!~~

I need someone who knows how to use LDraw program and haves LEGO Island models recreated there! This will help us in making model files!

LDraw is great and all, but I'm not sure it can handle of the bricks required...I can probably be of assistance in getting better models, however.

Well, actually, I am using 3dsMax for LEGO island buildings. So, right now I dont think I need any help because our models will probably be different.

~~UPDATE!!~~

Well, actually, I am using 3dsMax for LEGO island buildings. So, right now I dont think I need any help because our models will probably be different.

That's the thing; I'm the only one on these boards who:

1. Uses 3DS Max (5.1 and 9 SP1)
  2. Knows how to convert LDD to 3DS Max

PM me. I'll give you a tutorial.

Minifig9292

~~UPDATE!!~~

That's the thing; I'm the only one on these boards who:

1. Uses 3DS Max (5.1 and 9 SP1)
  2. Knows how to convert LDD to 3DS Max

PM me. I'll give you a tutorial.

• Used to have 3DsMax 8
  • Knows how to do both, AND animate.

~~UPDATE!!~~

I beg your pardon! LDraw can make the models, so long as you do them one at a time (don't use LEdit unless you want to make your life hard). But I don't have the models.

~~UPDATE!!~~

I beg your pardon! LDraw can make the models, so long as you do them one at a time (don't use LEdit unless you want to make your life hard). But I don't have the models.

LDraw's library is less extensive than LDDs, and it rarely gets updated now-a-days. I'm sorry, but I'm sticking with my method for making models. Much more efficient.

~~UPDATE!!~~

LDraw's library is less extensive than LDDs, and it rarely gets updated now-a-days. I'm sorry, but I'm sticking with my method for making models. Much more efficient.

The official one maybe. But who said you have to use it?

~~UPDATE!!~~

The official one maybe. But who said you have to use it?

The people who made LDraw.

And seeing as how the last 40,000 times I tried to work it, the thing wouldn't do anything constructive WITH THE RIGHT PROGRAMS, I don't plan on going back to what I consider a "faulty" method.

Minifig9292

I've moved this over to Member Share because 'Your Creations' is really for hand made LEGO creations.

The screenshots are looking good so far. Welcome and I hope you both find the help you are looking for.

Good luck with the project.

By "you both" I sure hope that includes me, I'm working with Crystal on this, and trying to help him with other projects of his too.

If he needs help I'm there for consulting.

I was going to begin to make some content for this as well. I'm a dev, who knows the source engine like the back of his hand.

I've been on 3 different source mods, one of which is very successful.

Will you please recognize that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.