International RRU Improvement Week

Cyrem

Well it's a bit late since this was supposed to be back in November, but, better late than never hey?

IRRUIW is a week long community event to put extra effort in thinking of ways to improve RRU. It's a great way to get your ideas heard and for staff to level with the community and learn their needs and wants, that may otherwise go unmentioned.

No idea is too small, unleash your creativity. But keep in mind that if you ask for Ponies you will be thrown in the dungeon.

Who's first?

Fluffy Cupcake

But keep in mind that if you ask for Ponies you will be thrown in the dungeon.

Okay well I got a laugh out of that one. xD

I think I will take this opportunity to NOT be first, because nothing came to mind in just a snap while writting this.

Edit: Something came to mind. We need more waffles, tons more of it.

• Like 2

Certainly, I'll knock out some walls.

[insert EA/Dungeon Keeper joke here]

But seriously, one thing I've kind of found odd is that discussion of LEGO video games that don't have their own subforums are kind of split between Gaming Discussion and LEGO General Discussion, as they're both games and LEGO. Which should it be? Should they go in some sort of new section? We have "Other Classic Games", but it just contains subforums for specific classic games. So topics about (a) classic games that don't get their own subforums and (b) newer games like TT stuff are kind of thrown around awkwardly.

• Like 1

But seriously, one thing I've kind of found odd is that discussion of LEGO video games that don't have their own subforums are kind of split between Gaming Discussion and LEGO General Discussion, as they're both games and LEGO. Which should it be? Should they go in some sort of new section? We have "Other Classic Games", but it just contains subforums for specific classic games. So topics about (a) classic games that don't get their own subforums and (b) newer games like TT stuff are kind of thrown around awkwardly.

I am inclined to put the other LEGO related gaming discussion into it's own forum within the LEGO Discussion category. Thats the easiest solution without going overboard with a new selection of forums for newer games. I would consider everything in Offtopic to not be related to LEGO.

• Like 1

I am inclined to put the other LEGO related gaming discussion into it's own forum within the LEGO Discussion category. Thats the easiest solution without going overboard with a new selection of forums for newer games. I would consider everything in Offtopic to not be related to LEGO.

Sounds good. I could sort through the existing topics in LEGO General Discussion and move them to the new forum if you'd like. I'm not a mod for Gaming Discussion though, so somebody else would have to deal with that.

Sounds good. I could sort through the existing topics in LEGO General Discussion and move them to the new forum if you'd like. I'm not a mod for Gaming Discussion though, so somebody else would have to deal with that.

Sure, i'll set it up now.

'BIONICLE: The Game' has a subforum. Does this actually contain anything of interest other than the 100% save? Also, if it is counted as a classic game (well, it's under the 'Classic Lego Games' section then why is there no award?

Or, you know, more GAMING NEWS?

Calm those sweet, juicy buttocks of yours, buddy. I'm doing stuff behind the scenes on Radio and News, and possibly a few RRU related content things (mods, LPs, fanfics etc). I just need to clear up the last bit of annoyances first.

I think I've got a few ideas so I'll be suggesting those ASAP.

• Like 3

All I can think of right now is that, very recently (and I'm assuming as part of the shoutbox updating that's happened recently), a little loading box keeps appearing on the homepage to load new shouts. It's a little annoying and wasn't necessary before, if I have RRU on in the background the little notification keeps making me think sometin's goin' down.

Edit: Something came to mind. We need more waffles, tons more of it.

:wffl: :wffl: :wffl: :wffl: :wffl:

'BIONICLE: The Game' has a subforum. Does this actually contain anything of interest other than the 100% save? Also, if it is counted as a classic game (well, it's under the 'Classic Lego Games' section then why is there no award?

Well, it's awaiting your content for posting ;)

There is now a Bionicle: The Game award.

First thing: We have a dungeon?

Yes.... and thats alllllll you need to know.

All I can think of right now is that, very recently (and I'm assuming as part of the shoutbox updating that's happened recently), a little loading box keeps appearing on the homepage to load new shouts. It's a little annoying and wasn't necessary before, if I have RRU on in the background the little notification keeps making me think sometin's goin' down.

Gone!

• Like 3

So, Part One for this is a bunch of random things that I'd like to see, but I HIGHLY doubt would or should happen. That said, we're all kind of brain-storming here, so I might as well through in. Next part will be actual fixes and important stuff which can happen (probably). Improbable List of Extreme('s) Stupidity: Stats Page: A while back, when we had Laser Sharks protecting the waters, we had some good stats at the bottom of the page that were pretty interesting. We still have some interesting stuff, like post count etc, but there's nothing really...exciting. What would be awesome to see is a dedicated "Stats" page, where the server updates a whole bunch of statistics as numbers and graphs, such as Spammers Blocked, Post Counts, Members by Region (based on IP) etc. A whole stack of information that would make for a good read. New Backgrounds: On the main-page, you can set a little theme for the forum. That's cool and all, but I think atm the options are a tad bit limited. I get that they are probably a real b**** to make, so I've put this with the unrealistic stuff, but nonetheless, it'd be cool to see some new variety (as that f****ing Inspector in LEGOLAND always says). I'm guessing custom ones are out of the question, especially considering users already have the great ability to change their profile page backgrounds (which I am thankful for). Mod Rating System: I know we have the Like system, but I think it'd be pretty awesome if there could be a separate category for Mods to go to, where they could each get their own download page and a review section, and people could give reviews out of 5 bricks. That way people can determine if the mod is good quality, such as if they want to try some new LegoRR levels. I'm also half-half on the old Tutorial section, because that was kind of cool when we had it, even though the comments were way more suited to the forum style. Old Topics Viewable by Contributors: I know a fair bit of the Orange, Blue and Red users here are old-school members, and I think more than a few of us are nostalgic for some of the classic RRU moments which might have got culled for content and locked off in the deep, dark corners of the Mod forum. I think it'd be swell if somehow those locked topics were viewable (not to post in, just view) from the Contributor Forum in kind of like a "Time Machine" sub-category which is actually just a link to that one Mod Forum. There's probably a lot of boring spammy stuff, but I think a few conversations I'd like to read again (especially for my fan-fic) are locked away in there. More Mod Joke Days: I really loved the Star Wars theme RRU had for a couple days a few years ago (or last year, cannot remember), and I'd like to see the Mods doing a bit more of that kind of stuff regularly. I like that we do things for Christmas, so I'd also like to see April Fool's Day and maybe a few other holidays get some recognition eventually. If there's anything else, I throw it in with the more feasible fixes and improvements.

Hm, maybe there's already an option for that which I haven't found yet, but I would be interested in seeing the number of times files I've uploaded (like my custom LR opponents, for example) have been downloaded. [if we already have a tool for that, feel free to ignore this suggestion and put me in the dungeons for it]

EDIT: Also, there should be an award for owning a set from 1990 that's older than yourself :P

Um... Well... Ok. If anybody has noticed here lately, I haven't been as active. Why? I've been catching up on my music projects (composing music for an indie game, as well as writing a few songs), so I've sort of been away from LEGO stuff and LRR and so on. Seeing how I can't create awesome LDD masterpieces like some of you, or code mods for the games like a lot of you (other than measily texture changes), all I can really do is create music. So I am asking for a special forum where members can collaborate and talk about music, post their music, and get feedback from other composers.

I feel this will not only help me be more active, but it will also be a good opportunity for the many composers I know we have on the site to share what they can do musically.

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

Remove the MSN contact profile field. We all know that for pretty much everywhere that this was replaced by Skype, which is already in the contacts area.

There is now a Bionicle: The Game award.

Did I already show PoP for that? I'm not sure if I did before when I suggested it to be a classic.

The RRU gallery seems to dislike .bmp images. Why is this, and could the gallery perhaps be able to take .bmp's?

Also, (just a random idea), could you insert your shoutbox comments within the first, say, five lines? This'd mean that you wouldn't have completely random replies when it was in fact a reply to something lower down.

The RRU gallery seems to dislike .bmp images. Why is this, and could the gallery perhaps be able to take .bmp's?

I think it might be because many of the games that are modded here use BMP files, so perhaps it's a way of avoiding distribution. I dunno.

Um... Well... Ok. If anybody has noticed here lately, I haven't been as active. Why? I've been catching up on my music projects (composing music for an indie game, as well as writing a few songs), so I've sort of been away from LEGO stuff and LRR and so on. Seeing how I can't create awesome LDD masterpieces like some of you, or code mods for the games like a lot of you (other than measily texture changes), all I can really do is create music. So I am asking for a special forum where members can collaborate and talk about music, post their music, and get feedback from other composers.

I feel this will not only help me be more active, but it will also be a good opportunity for the many composers I know we have on the site to share what they can do musically.

McJobless studies games design and some other may have that interest and there are some music composers on here, perhaps a "Games Design & Music Composing" forum?

• Like 2

JMMB's scripts are somewhere in the General LEGO Discussion section and have yet to be moved to the that section.

Pretty much everything McJobless said, including the old forum jokes.

Hm, maybe there's already an option for that which I haven't found yet, but I would be interested in seeing the number of times files I've uploaded (like my custom LR opponents, for example) have been downloaded. [if we already have a tool for that, feel free to ignore this suggestion and put me in the dungeons for it]

I'd say the downloads should be further organized before that happens.

Remove the MSN contact profile field. We all know that for pretty much everywhere that this was replaced by Skype, which is already in the contacts area.

I suggested that >last year and add a YouTube or GitHub section in it's place. Maybe it can't be changed?

I don't have an idea at the moment, but I may have something later on.

EDIT: The RRU Bucket ToS says "Do not upload image files unless they are archived (e.g a zip file)". Perhaps that should be enforced by checking if the file is a common archive type (zip, 7z, rar, tar) and reject if it is not?

McJobless studies games design and some other may have that interest and there are some music composers on here, perhaps a "Games Design & Music Composing" forum?
Holy hell yes.
  • Like 2

Holy hell yes.

What he said. ^

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.