International RRU Improvement Week

Cyrem

JMMB's scripts are somewhere in the General LEGO Discussion section and have yet to be moved to the that section.

They were moved last night. I'm basically organizing everything that needs organizing.

I think before we start adding new forums left and right we need to decide exactly what goes where. We have Game Design & Music Composing, Member Projects, and Member Share: This is getting messy.

First, Game Design and Music Composing... Both cool topics, but it seems like a rather oddly specific combo to me. What about other artsy things? 3D modeling, 2D art, animation of all kinds, video editing, pixel art, comics, writing... The list goes on and on, and of course a lot of these things are often intertwined.

Member Projects and Member Share... These two are really messy. I was talking to Cy about it last night, and the line that divides them is a bit blurry. In one, you "Post about [a project] here and share updates as you work on it", and in the other you "Display your creations and receive feedback."

So what Cy proposed is that we ditch Member Share, and sort its topics into either Member Projects and General Discussion. But then we have the new "Game Design and Music Composing"... Now what would you do if you're working on a game design project, for example? Would it go in Game Design and Music Composing, or Member Projects? It would be the same situation as Member Projects vs Member Share; two forums that somewhat overlap each other.

So in summary: I think we currently need a clearer line between "creative artsy stuff" (game design, music, drawing, etc) and "lol random stuff" (cleverbot conversations you had, where your username came from). Member Share is currently a mix of the two, and Member Projects is conflicting with the oddly specific Game Design and Music Composing, and a lot of other art forms aren't covered at all.

Thus, I think it might be a good idea to:

• Ditch "Member Share" completely,
  • Replace "Member Projects" and "Game Design & Music Composing" with a single forum for artsy creative stuff you make and how you make it, perhaps with some sub-forums for specific interests so things don't get too chaotic.
  • Like 2

• Replace "Member Projects" and "Game Design & Music Composing" with a single forum for artsy creative stuff you make and how you make it, perhaps with some sub-forums for specific interests so things don't get too chaotic.
I think these are pretty good ideas.

That said, my only thoughts on it is that I wouldn't sumbit Game Designs to a GD&MC forum. It would go in Member Projects since that's an actual project I would plan on working on. I think GD&MC is more about theory and discussion (like Gamasutra and their articles). I also assumed Member Share to always be about RRU-related stuff (but not specifically related to classic LEGO Games), and Projects to be just random projects that have no association to anything.

Therefore, I think we should maybe organise the entire Off-Topic Forum like this.

General Discussion (Random Off Topic Discussion)

-> Gaming

-> Forum Games

Creative Theory Discussion (Game Design, Modeling, Art, Audio etc)

Member Projects (All the projects members are working on and want to discuss)

Obviously need better titles, but that might be a little clearer and shorten the size of Off Topic on the main page (and hide Forum Games so people are tempted to post more related content).

I think these are pretty good ideas.

That said, my only thoughts on it is that I wouldn't sumbit Game Designs to a GD&MC forum. It would go in Member Projects since that's an actual project I would plan on working on. I think GD&MC is more about theory and discussion (like Gamasutra and their articles). I also assumed Member Share to always be about RRU-related stuff (but not specifically related to classic LEGO Games), and Projects to be just random projects that have no association to anything.

Therefore, I think we should maybe organise the entire Off-Topic Forum like this.

-> Gaming

-> Forum Games

Obviously need better titles, but that might be a little clearer and shorten the size of Off Topic on the main page (and hide Forum Games so people are tempted to post more related content).

Done deal & James agrees.

I like that better. So a place for posting your cool stuff, and another place for talking about what makes stuff cool. Then the random stuff can be dumped in General Discussion. Now what about subforums? Any needed? If so, what?

I like that better. So a place for posting your cool stuff, and another place for talking about what makes stuff cool. Then the random stuff can be dumped in General Discussion. Now what about subforums? Any needed? If so, what?

Let's try not to be like blockland, but I think the following things might be good to have as far as subforums.

Gaming Discussion

Life and Political Discussion (this'll be one that I'm not so sure on)

Music Discussion

Cartoons and Anime Discussion (Brony, Anime, Adventure Time topics can all fit here etc)

Not sure on what else.

PS: Cyrem, my thing is still borked. Might be Firefox, not sure. Cleared the cache last night after I closed it all.

Let's try not to be like blockland, but I think the following things might be good to have as far as subforums.

Gaming Discussion

Music Discussion

Cartoons and Anime Discussion (Brony, Anime, Adventure Time topics can all fit here etc)

Not sure on what else.

PS: Cyrem, my thing is still borked. Might be Firefox, not sure. Cleared the cache last night after I closed it all.

Wait wait, I'm a bit lost here - are those ideas for subforums of Creative Theory or other stuff or what?

Gaming Discussion

Music Discussion

Not sure on what else.

Wait wait, I'm a bit lost here - are those ideas for subforums of Creative Theory or other stuff or what?

No those look like General Discussion subforums. Not sure on the life/political one, internet proves time and time again that it just creates flames.

McJob, clear everything in FF... or run CCleaner.

Gaming Discussion

Music Discussion

Not sure on what else.

No those look like General Discussion subforums. Not sure on the life/political one, internet proves time and time again that it just creates flames.

McJob, clear everything in FF... or run CCleaner.

Those were ideas for General Discussion subforums. As far as Creative Theory, I'm not sure if we specifically will need subforums until activity picks up. Maybe separate them into Games, Movies and Music.

@Cyrem, Jamesster gave me the heads up to clear my cookies and it worked.

-> Gaming

-> Forum Games

I think this would work as well. As you said, I too have seen Member Share to be semi-RRU and Projects to be unrelated. Lumping Projects into a Game Design/Music would leave others such as  >LEGO Island: The Model and >LUCA out. Keeping Member Projects but moving it to a subsection as McJobless said works well, IMO.

Okay I have a very small suggestion, what about putting the "Thank/Like" button in status updates too? Some are amazing and they should be awarded in some way.

Agreed with MC Jobless.

Okay I have a very small suggestion, what about putting the "Thank/Like" button in status updates too? Some are amazing and they should be awarded in some way.

This is a forum, not facebook. Let's just keep the thanks/likes in topics shan't we?
  • Like 3

This is a forum, not facebook. Let's just keep the thanks/likes in topics shan't we?

Ok, you're right, nevermind then :)

So, in the music section I can make a topic where I put all my musics, can I?

Ok, you're right, nevermind then :)

So, in the music section I can make a topic where I put all my musics, can I?

if it's your own music, member projects is probably a better fit.

Okay, here are three suggestions. Don't know how feasible they are.

Shoutbox History

Currently you have to go into the archive of the shoutbox, set a time range, and scroll back through the pages to view its history. This is okay, but if someone accidentally breaks the shoutbox (e.g. posting a long line of characters) the page arrows disappear so you can't view history for that section any more. I guess either fixing this or just adding some kind of page buttons to the shoutbox itself would be nice.

SWF Files

I can see this being a big no-no already, but if you don't ask you'll never know, huh? It'd be nice if we could embed SWF files at a larger size than 300x150. I understand that perhaps people could abuse this, so maybe you could somehow limit it to members of a certain 'age' (as in based on join date)?

For instance, it'd be great if the various 360 galleries I've made could be embedded. And the gallery in Fushigisaur's >LRR MOC Index (which I still haven't finished, I will make time for it Fushi) would be better off embedded in the topic rather than opened in a new tab.

Competitions

These are such brilliant ways of bringing the community together. I'm not just talking about the LEGO Racers tournament that took place last year, in fact I think that was flawed by the requirement for recording.* I mean MOC competitions, perhaps other gaming competitions, maybe even a modding competition?

There are some old topics that were unearthed last year featuring LRR MOCs for some competition that was held a long time ago. The models produced are fantastic, and very imaginative/inspiring. So competitions not only have short-term benefit in the form of enjoyment for competitors/'spectators', but also benefit in the long term with the products left behind.

Well, there we go. My thoughts.

*Now that we can >record ghost paths, this can be revamped!

• Like 4

Regarding the downloads,

I am considering re-enabling the attachment system. The reasons are:

> Attachments can be managed by the user (There is a spot in the UCP for them)

> They show the download count

> I've made them look nicer e.g ('?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>)

As a demo, attachments are now allowed in the Racers mod forums, for you to try. In addition topic ratings are now allowed for those mod forums.

• Like 3

I've just updated two of my Racers mods using the new downloads system, and I rather like it. :)

However, it appears that I can rate my own mods (well, I haven't actually tried it as I didn't want to vote on my own mods, but when I mouse over the stars they appear to let me pick a rating). I guess this should probably be fixed if possible?

Also, on a related note, if a mod could please move >this mod to the Custom Textures subforum I'd very much appreciate it. Currently I can't set it up with the new system.

I've just updated two of my Racers mods using the new downloads system, and I rather like it. :)

Also, on a related note, if a mod could please move >this mod to the Custom Textures subforum I'd very much appreciate it. Currently I can't set it up with the new system.

Done.

Downloads look nice, not as sure about topic rating but I suppose it can't hurt.

Fluffy Cupcake

Topic rating. Hmm.... seems alright. Now people can see if the mod is quality without having to dig too far in the topic, provided enough people truthfully vote on mods for them to be accurate.

Also, yay for attachments. :D

provided enough people truthfully vote on mods for them to be accurate.

Wuh-oh. Good point. Anyone who's bothered (if you excuse the negative tone) enough to download and install a mod, will probably do so because it's interested them enough, and hence only give it a higher rating... Perhaps. Then others may just downvote it by looking at it without even trying it out.

Maybe ratings aren't so good, but hey, test 'em out and see.

Idea for the awards:

If a user has more than 12 awards, there should be a Show More button under the 12 awards display if people want to look at a users other awards without going to their profile to see them.

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake
However, it appears that I can rate my own mods (well, I haven't actually tried it as I didn't want to vote on my own mods, but when I mouse over the stars they appear to let me pick a rating). I guess this should probably be fixed if possible?

If self rating can be done, that should be changed asap.

Anyone who's bothered (if you excuse the negative tone) enough to download and install a mod, will probably do so because it's interested them enough, and hence only give it a higher rating... Perhaps. Then others may just downvote it by looking at it without even trying it out.

Now if only there was a check so only those who have downloaded the mod [in attachment] can vote.

Idea for the awards:

If a user has more than 12 awards, there should be a Show More button under the 12 awards display if people want to look at a users other awards without going to their profile to see them.

Sounds good.

Unfortunatly self rating can't be changed. I believe however that it requires 3 votes to appear in the topic list (But I won't be able to tell until a topic get 3 votes).

Fluffy Cupcake

Okay, one last thing, even though the 7 days are up. One thing that has been bothering me is not being able to have a post link to a certain part of itself (>example topic this would be good for, another example are large multi-part tutorials),  this type of BBCode is called "Anchor" I believe.

Also, secondary thing, can we get those BBCode for tutorials,

'SomePagetitle'

and working?
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.