Retro LEGO Comics/Storybooks/Animated Cartoons General Discussion

Sadie Meowsalot

Sadie, the Islander book is a program for the traveling exhibit, and it's been uploaded to miniland...I'll post a link when I get home. It's a loose story with pictures from the exhibit, so not a comic per se, but I can see why someone would group them together.

EDIT:

Here it is.

Slightly different title, so I can't guarantee the book you found has the same contents, but it's a pretty safe bet.

TC

• Like 3

I potentially have found someone that might be able to translate a couple of the dramas - it'd be a load off of Runamuck's back, in any case. Nothing certain, but I'll keep everyone posted.

• Like 1

Sadie Meowsalot

Some more information on the third installment in LEGO Publishing's The Pirates series of comics as well as some other story ideas Per Sanderhage had but never implemented:

"I'm not certain... I think I wrote three, but I cannot remember if the third was ever drawn. I haven't got if it exist... cannot even remember what it was about. I had several ideas... one about our heroes ending up in South America and a nasty individual who could control a tame alligator with a flute... another (which would have been a lot fun) with a female pair of scoundrels as immoral as the pirates."-Per Sanderhage

Also, I learned recently of the existence of 3 unpublished Pirates books from the 1990 Ladybird series. Their titles are Captain Roger smells gold, Trouble on Pirate Island, and Dark Shark to the Rescue. My source for this information is this: https://archive.today/aJPvL

And in case you can't access that page, here's a screenshot of the information in question: http://prntscr.com/5jrh49

Counting the 4 published books in the series plus the 1 or 2 activity books, that makes for a total of 8 or 9.

• Like 3

Sounds like the Insectoids/UFO thing has arrived at home, though I won't be back until next week. I'll take pics/scans/etc then.

• Like 2

I'm home. I'm geeking out. Here's some pics. Proper scans coming whenever I can get my hands on a scanner. It's all UFO stuff, but while I haven't translated the German, I think it might just confirm my MOCanon about the story ties between UFO and Insectoids. Did I mention I'm geeking out?

Folder (once it's public)

The comic book and a Chamon minifigure for scale

There's an ad printed right inside the comic book, and then an insert that was glued to it

The ad

The front of the insert

The insert begins with some character bios (alternate pic)

Some story info that I'm itching to translate

The next two pages are a comic

Looking familiar, eh?

A puzzle

Set advertisements

The back of the insert

• Like 5

Holy what the Insectoids are defunct UFOians Zotaxians, apparently?

This is so freaking great. Somebody at LEGO thought about this and implemented it. Why do they keep all of these awesome stories so hidden behind the scenes?

• Like 2

Sadie Meowsalot

A response to some queries I posed regarding the development of the 1992 Adventure in LEGOLAND and 1993 Safari Adventure in LEGOLAND books from their author, Carol Matas:

"Dear Sadie,

The answers here might surprise you, since LEGO is such a big corporation and normally there would be so much red tape and so many hurdles - but this is how it happened:
I was living in Copenhagen with my husband Per Brask who was there on Sabbatical. Per is Danish and we were visiting his family and he was working and researching in theatre,as he is a theatre Professor.
Our children were 6 and 10 and we all went to Legoland for a little holiday. When I saw Titanias's palace I had the inspiration for the first story. Aaron is named after my son, Aaron Samuel, and Aaron's best friend at the time Aryeh. I wrote the story on rainy days in November in Copenhagen when the children were at school and Per was a work. I wrote in long hand then.
When finished Per researched the Lego company and discovered the contact that we could send the story to. My memory is a little vague here but as I remember it, he liked it, had it approved and then it was up to me to find a publisher. (He was wonderful by the way.) I sent it out to many publishers but they all turned it down and I gave up until over a year later my mother in law chided me and encouraged me to keep trying. At that point I tried Scholastic. They decided not to publish it in trade but only in the book club although I think maybe Scholastic Canada published it in trade. The first book sold over 250,000 copies. Unfortunately Safari Adventure in Legoland only sold 60,000 and Scholastic decided to drop the series. I had already written a space Lego story and a pirate novel- still in my archives, unpublished but now it is almost impossible to go such a personal route with LEGO. 
A producer tried to interest Lego in using the series as the basis for their big new movie but as you can see they chose a different direction. (Obviously a good choice for them since it has been such a big hit.) 
I still love the series and am thankful they allowed me to write a couple of the books at least.
All best,
Carol"
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
Sadie Meowsalot
  • Like 3

*exhales loudly*

I can't put this off much longer. I am going to translate 43 pages of Danish text with Google Translate.

God help me.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm gonna try for 10 pages a day, and get this knocked out quick. Here are the first ten. Sadie might've mentioned better copies without text coming eventually that would be better to actually add the text to (or maybe it was these layouts) but in either case I'll hold off on that daunting task for now.

Page 1

Aboard the mighty spaceship SPEARHEAD, Captain Bart is setting an example...

… and when you're done with moving, sorting, and stacking the little building-bricks, I have a few other odd jobs for you!

Yes, Bart!

Of course, Bart...

BLAM!

Boo! Imagine being so angry we made popcorn...

Yes. Who knew that the last sack of corn was laid aside for germinating?

Well, Jim, we probably better get started...

The adults are stupid!!

OWOHOWOHOWOHOWOH!

We would be able to go anywhere without the adults interfering...

Yes! There ought to be a place where only kids and robots can go...

I got an idea Keko! Fill your vehicle up with bricks, and let's take it for a swing?

?!

Page 2

Meanwhile

CHEF KOLERIKE and agriculture chief CORNHEART are here, Captain...

Oh...

Not now...! Say I'm away, sick, emigrated... whatever!

NO SUCH NONSENSE! I KNOW THE CAPTAIN IS THERE AND I DEMAND TO SPEAK WITH HIM!!!

Too late... !

HOW ARE THE TWO THUGS WHO HAVE EATEN MY CORN!?

Good day, Kolerike...

THE CORN WAS THE VERY LAST ABOARD THE SPACESHIP!

But...

A CULINARY CATASTROPHE! POOR CORNHEART IS BESIDE HIMSELF!

Is it true, Cornheart?

Sure, I guess...

OF COURSE HE IS! WITHOUT CORN, I CANNOT MAKE CORN GRUEL AND PANCAKES...

Mmm! I love pancakes...

But what happened happened and the boys have already received their punishment...

YEAR IN I am surrounded by MEAL MORONS!

And we are of course unable to obtain new corn on our home planet ZONIA, as long as we are trapped in this unknown galaxy...

I DO NOT CARE!!!

Ooh, now he'll never let up...

I SHALL STIR NO FURTHER!!! YOU CAN DINE ON WATER AND DRY BISCUITS, UNTIL YOU HAVE PROVIDED ME SOME CORN!!!

FAREWELL!!

SMACK!

Water and dry biscuits! People won't be happy, when they hear that!

I KNOW! I KNOW!

Page 3

Outside...

A secret CAVE?!

Yes, Keko! Only for you and me! I know a good place...

But... CAN we do that?

If it is a secret, we cannot ask anyone at all!

But what if it is discovered?

Then we will build a new one elsewhere -

Add on the window now...

This is the road...

Look at my fireplace!

Later! I am working on the next floor!

Here is the last roof tile!

Thanks

We can always make it larger later...

?!

Page 4

It's the new TURBOPROVIANTØR, Duncan built it last week... !

ATTENTION, gentlemen!!!

I have been entrusted with a vital mission of great importance! Therefore, I am your chief, and you have to do just as I say!

You may address me, as I will have it...

Butthead!

This is the first time Bart has given Mello responsibility for anything!

QUIET! No grumbling in the ranks!!!

If you can tear yourself away, PILOT MELLO, I think we are approaching a planet where there may be corn growing...

?!

HAHAHA!! The “Chief” gets orders!

Page 5

I SAID SHUT UP!

Of course, Chief. We weren't gossiping...

And you will not tell me what I should do, Cornheart! It is I who commands!!!

And where was this planet you were talking about...?!

BBRRRRRRR

Well, where is the corn, HUH?!

I certainly can't see any!

You're the boss! I'd hate to tell you what to do...

?! Hrmff?

Uh... well, then we probably better look around...

Page 6

Cornheart come with me! I must examine the other end of the forest to the best of my ability... you know what corn looks like really well?!

Yeah, man... uh... chief!

Easy as pie, Chief!

If you should be fortunate enough to trip over something, call me on the radio! None of that belief you can think for yourselves!

It would never occur to us...

vroo

vrooo

?

?

!

!

Come!

Page 7

Meanwhile...

Vrooo

Vrooo

This is stupid – just plants...

… but no corn...

hehe!

Shake!

Splat!

Ahh...

Where am I?

?

Idiot!

Help

Release me!

CRASH!

Page 8

We'd better give up and return to Turboproviantøren...

Hello!

MELLO?!

HERE?!

Uh... yes! I just wanted to see if you are following my orders...

Of course, we are! But it's hopeless!

Idiots! Do you know at all how... uh... corn looks?!

Yes, like we said...

Hm! I must display control! Describe it in detail!

That's a strange thing to ask... but okay: an elongated flask with yellow corn in rows protected by green leaves...

Thanks!

In that case, I have found what we are looking for! Behind that tree are two ears of corncob. Bear them...

...aboard the spaceship!

Yes, sir! What about you?!

Me? I... uh... I have to go back and retrieve Cornheart...

Oh...!

That's what I call a lucky break! Mello is dumber than we thought...

Ha! Ha!

See! Now there's a cob where we stopped to talk to Mello! I can't believe we didn't see it before...

At the same time...

Aw! No corn... only stupid flowers!

Page 9

Perhaps we have been looking in the wrong places...

BE QUIET!

Corn doesn't grow in the darkness of forests...

SHUT UP! I know very well what I am doing...

Right now you're sticking your finger in a carnivorous plant...

G-GAAA!

ENOUGH! Back to the spaceship! Away from this fatal disease of a planet!!!

Soon after...

Well, there he is again!

Hello, Mello! We are pulling the corncobs on board, as you said...

Corncobs?

Yes, the ones you found!

I didn't find those. But corn is corn, and if they want to give me credit for having found them, that's O.K. By me...!

Oh, yes... just carry on!

It's odd, how big the corn is!

Ha! Ha!

DEPARTURE! Home to Spearhead!

VROOO...

Page 10

Meanwhile on the Spearhead...

Well, Keko! Our own cave...

Well...

… but for how long?

Nom! The adults are too busy to worry about us!

But maybe they would have enough time to worry about our cave if they came by...

We'll fool them with the door plate, I put up!

High Voltage

Secret

Radar Station

Stay Away

Duncan

It's not enough to fool DUNCAN.

Well no...!

So we should change his name on the sign, if he comes...

If we spot him in time...

Incidentally, you can see though the windows...

You're right...

We must make an alarm and camouflage the cave...

Do you really think that Duncan could help but find us...

We don't tell him EVERYTHING!

Cornheart gives exactly zero poops and I love him

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!  My first time posting on RRU haha :'-)

I think I might have popped into the chat at the very beginning of making my account, and mentioned that I had ordered the German version of Jim Spaceborn 2. 

WELL, over a months waiting, it's finally here!! I couldn't be happier, it's in very nice condition!

ebea52497e42d3965b96a1e52deb2e52.thumb.p20a35a901ac6d4e71e0f52f8f300a71f.thumb.p

I was wondering if it would be alright to upload scans to here (once I have them complete which I plan on doing either tonight or tomorrow)?? I can absolutely upload scans of the pages (as long as it is okay)!

Also, I'd like to take this time to really thank Sadie Meowsalot, Pereki,  anyone and everyone (Im still a lil new and not know everyone by their names.. forgive me if I have forgotten anyone aa) who has ever contributed to Jim Spaceborn and uploading info... This probably sounds really silly to say here, but this comic series and everyone involved has helped me so much and changed my life, it would leave me feeling guilty if I didn't say thank you to everyone who has worked so hard... I can't say thank you enough! I would also love to help preserve and share as much as I can about this comic by helping upload and translate the content I have.  

Apologies for getting a little sappy... I honestly just can't thank everyone enough, this comic has won such a special place in my heart over the past year after discovering it, I don't know where I'd be without it (I really don't!). So once again a huge HUGE thank you to everyone here and further extended thank yous to Frank Madsen of course for making it all possible :'-) ok I am finished being emotional haha oopsie

• Like 7

lol username

Scans would be great. We don't allow full scans to be uploaded to RRU's gallery/file hosting, but you can host them somewhere else (Brickshelf? Or a zip on Mediafire or something?) and link to them here.

Sadie Meowsalot

The legoland idea book is sort of a story book. http://bricks.argz.com/ins/6000-1

​It is indeed. There's also a series of comics based on it with 3 story arcs following the adventures of Captain Indigo (Bill) and Lieutenant Mary Polkadot, which were serialized across several issues of Bricks n' Pieces magazine between 1983-1989. Additionally, there's an obscure seemingly Italian-exclusive storybook/diary titled Diario di vita e avventura featuring numerous scenes taken from the 6000 Idea Book, except with speech bubbles incorporated into them, plus a lot of scenes that aren't derived from the 6000 Idea Book. However, not too much is known yet regarding the latter.

Edited by Sadie Meowsalot

Hello again! Popping back in to say that all the pages have been scanned and uploaded to Brickshelf where they are now waiting to be approved and open to public viewing!

But in the meantime, I went ahead and uploaded all of the scanned pages to a Dropbox folder, here and also included a .zip file within the dropbox of all the pages! Let me know if there are any issues viewing the folder or pages

Again, it's all in German, but still neat and exciting to have all the pages online now I think! I could try my best to translate... But I'm not sure if I would do a very good job beyond minimal understanding of the language and google translate but I could always try! :'-) If anyone wants to take a crack at it, you're awesome please do!

I will edit this post again once the Brickshelf gallery is up online and public (I will be checking on that periodically)!

EDIT: The gallery is public! Here's the link to the Brickshelf! Enjoy!

Edited by spacepals

• 1 month later...

Next 10 pages of Spaceborn #3:

PAGE 11

Duncan's workshop is located in the basement...

Only the best is good enough

Now's the time...

KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA

KRA! KRA! KRA! KRA!

HEAVENS! My crows!

Your WHAT, Duncan?!

My mechanical crows! Bart simply must not see them!

Why must Bart not see them?

He thinks I'm busy sweeping cinders in the nuclear engine...

KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA

PAGE 12

I have to call them back!

KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA

?

It worked!

!?

?

Kra! Kra! KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA

Wonderful! Everything is working perfectly!!!

KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA KRA

Did they really come back because you whistled?!

Yes. They are equipped with a device that recognizes people's voices...

Can you get them to obey me?

Obey me! Obey me!!

Easily! It understands everything you say to it...

Wow!

R-ROORK! Kra kra!

… and you press the button here, when you have an order, and he will remember...

Easy as pie!

CALLING DUNCAN!!

PAGE 13

Captain Bart here! How is the ash in the nuclear engine?

Uh

I-I'm almost done...

Excellent! I'll drop by later...

Mglp!

And you'd better go back and clear your blocks up, you two!

Yes...

Boo!

And I was the one who built that TV screen...

Well, we must go Duncan! Thanks for the bird!

Well, I never! Bart'll tear my head off if he discovers that I've burnt away time with nonsense again!

The birds can't help you?

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY? Of course they can! Thanks, Jim!

PUTT PUTT PUTT Now we are going to sweep ash, my little peep-birds!

RORRK! KRA! SKROOK!

What about us? Should we start stacking blocks again?

I guess we'd better...

… but first we have business down in the blacksmith shop!

For what?!

Wait and see!

Meanwhile...

… and how would the Captain like his curly locks and moustache this week?

As before!

PAGE 14

Shouldn't we fix up some of the beard?

No!

But that ugly lock of hair there? Musn't I finally give it the cut?

It is not ugly ...

And cut me as usual! A captain with responsibility for 300 crew members can not change hairstyle constantly!

Decisions! Decisions! Everone is on my back today

Clip clip

Mello! Spearhead in sight ...

Hello, Spearhead! Calling Captain Bart! Mello here!

Finally, I'll hear the captain's approving voice!

mphYOUR krmphTALKING spTO BART !!

...oh ... Captain? You sound sick ...!

Blech ... mI'm just fzbeing shaved ...

Listen, you two triflers! Get out down in the hold and prepare the corn! Everything must be in order when we land!

Page 15

Aw, the light does not work ...

I have a pocket lamp...

Load space

Brrr!! It's cold down here ...

Yes, it's sure lucky that corn does not freeze like your ears! Haha!

Take the rope there! So we can hoist them over to the cargo hatch ...

Ohhh ...

What are you groaning for?

Oh, horror!!!

!

And then ...

Everything in order, Mello!

Corn cobs are ready to be unloaded!

You took long enough! We land now!

Page 16

Meanwhile, aboard Spearhead ...

What are we doing here, Jim?

I realized that our mechanical crow can guard the cave ...

But what are we doing here?

LOOK OUT, KEKO!

wooosh

What's going on here?

Backsmith BLIKH and Birdherd VULCAN! They always talk...

... but Blikh made some rule Vulcan wants to have the last word on...

They don't have time to talk to us ...

... so we'll just take what we need ...

But you still have not said what we need to get down here ...

Wait and see ...!

PAGE 17

In Spearhead's large hangar ...

I have found the corn you asked for, Bart!

Excellent, Mello! Finally, something that goes as it should!

I am glad that there is finally someone who solves problems instead of creating them ...!

Listen ... weren't there three corn cobs before?

We could only find one in there ...

Get back in there! There ARE thr...

Problem, Mello?

Uh ... uh ... no, I was just praising my men!

Well ... now you'll hopefully satisfy Kolerike...

Hm ... it smells strange ...

sniff sniff

It's so big!

I'm with them, Mello...

You're just jealous because it was not you who found them!

I will have to taste...

There's nothing wrong

We should probably save all the maize grains for spring!

I have to know whether it tastes like it smells!!!

There is only one thing here that smells, Kolerike!!!

I only need one flask ...

Oh...

Page 18

WHO'S CALLING WHO SMELLY?!!

... and we do not know if we can get it to grow ...

But ...!!

WHY YOU!!

FUMP!

... therefore it would be unwise to eat any of the seed ...

Gentlemen ...

NO ONE HAS DARED SPEAK TO ME THAT WAY BEFORE!

BONK!

I ...

THEN IT WAS ABOUT TIME, YOU MEATBALL!

POK!

SPLAT!

we ..

BE QUIET !!!

... Before we know whether they can grow here onboard!

?

?

Kolerike can take ONE kernel! Cornheart gets the rest!!

Do something! They will cut the boss!!!

We must hope he remembers to divide in two! Otherwise, we'll be discovered

Shut up, you two!

?

Ouch!

You're not funny, you know that...!

It was not me ...

I said nothing!

Me neither!

Maybe it was your tummy rumbling ...

It does not matter! This corn will now be judged by a master cook's taste buds...!

woosh

grab

Page 19

Listen ...!?

What the hell was that contraption?

There's someone who might be able to answer that ...!

Did it fly in here?

Can you see it, keko?

Nope ...

AHA!

Well, then it is yours !!!

We should have had it on a tether!

Yes!

Well, we'll have to hope it can find home ...

Yes, we are busy ...

Listen, stay here ...? !!

Jim! Keko! You get back here immediately!!!!

Do you hear me?

Jim! Keko !!!

Quiet, Bart ...

If the Captain has a plan, I'd like out how the captain plots to get me my corn kernel ... !!

!

Noo! I refuse to fix your issues anymore!!! For my sake can you serve water and dry biscuits for the rest of the trip!!! Goodbye!!!

Careful with the cob ...

Quiet, Bart! You are overworked ...

Oh Viva ...

Water and Dry biscuits... j-jam... everyone will be furious ...

You sure got the short end of the stick, huh Kolerike....

Listen...

... Is it YOU that flew in the Turboproviantør? It must be cleaned and lubricated before you leave the hangar!!!

Oh! Cornheart ran off with my men...

Haha! Enjoy!

Page 20

Meanwhile ...

The cob should be set down here in the agricultural sector ...

What about you? Do you like corn pancakes?

No!

That was the third ...

Everything is going like clockwork ...

... Soon all of this ridiculous little spaceship will be in our power!!!

Uh ... what are corn pancakes?

Now we shall all split in two! Then we find a hideout for the idiot here before we embark upon the rest of the crew

(cell division)

I wonder what happened to the corn grain their crow took ...?

Machine Room

He's doing fine...

Hello all! It's me again, sorry for not being on RRU or posting in a long time, life's gotten busy!

I return to post again, because I was searching for Jim Spaceborn earlier today and saw a photo that caught my eye:

box-material-blog-post-image.thumb.jpg.9

I used to take a few animation classes and was my passion for quite a while (still is!), so I knew immediately what that chart was, an X-Sheet (or exposure sheet)! I got really excited and followed through to the site. The wordpress article Jim Spaceborn and the Unknown Box Contents: A Volunteer's Experience posted by the UCA Archives on April 24, 2015 shares Elizabeth James' experience of volunteering with documenting the archives, 

During my time in the UCA Animation Archive, I have had the pleasure of listing an old box full of animation cels and various other materials featuring the 1980’s LEGO® character Jim Spaceborn, created by Danish Illustrator, Frank Madsen.

The box features an unpublished Pilot Episode of a cartoon version of  Jim Spaceborn. The quality of these cels was immaculate. As a photography student, I have never really looked into animation before but I can see now that it takes a lot of effort and production skill into creating even a short episode such as the one featured in the archive box.

Also in the article there's an image of the box listing's notes, and a link to the Archives and Special Collections Online Catalogue , which provides a detailed list of what is inside the box and each scene (for example here is Scene 2)!

7393af49cbdf677473e68ddd9484e96a.thumb.p

So exciting! Unfortunately, there are no pictures of the cels or box content uploaded to the online catalogue, as the FAQ states the following:

The Archives Catalogue is not intended as a digital image database, but to provide descriptions of the items available for you to decide whether you want to view them, although some images are provided alongside. We may be able to provide you with a digital image on request, if the item is not too fragile, where we will ask you to sign a copyright form.

So I was wondering if this article had been posted anywhere else, or if anyone has tried to contact the University for the Creative Arts Archives and Special Collections? There's quite a process to go through, as I read on the FAQ, and I fear that you might need to be on the campus itself to have permission to view the archives...

I was just wondering and curious to know if anyone else has seen this content or knows if there is a way to view the cels/production work within the archives, or if it is even possible to do so if not in person. I was just very very excited to see content relating to the Jim Spaceborn animated short and wanted to share it! I would try to contact the archives myself to ask to view the content but, I get scared at the thought haha :'-)

• Like 5

Sadie Meowsalot

Very interesting, I can't thank you enough for bringing this to our attention, spacepals! I'll consult Frank Madsen and Jeffrey James Varab about these archives as soon as possible. 

Edit: Jeffrey recognizes some of the materials "Ha, those are the Disney xsheets we used at the start. But I don't recognize the scene notes exactly. But it's been many years"-Jeffrey James Varab

I've also emailed the archival division of UCA in hopes of getting scans of all the animation materials. 

Edited by Sadie Meowsalot

Holy wow, that's just a fantastic find! I do wonder if the pilot was completed, or if these materials were as far as they got.

Interesting that it's taken from the Unknown Galaxy, too.

Aha! I think that the scene notes might have been made by the volunteer, Elizabeth James, so that could be a reason why they look unfamiliar... but you never know!

I've also been very excited since I found this and so curious as to what the cels and other animation material looks like... you have my infinite thanks, Sadie! Good luck! :-)

@Pereki I also found it interesting that it was taken from Unknown Galaxy too, and wondering why they chose the scenes where Jim is showing Keko around the Spearhead for the first time... Would the rest of the Unknown Galaxy been planned to be animated as well? 

@Pereki I also found it interesting that it was taken from Unknown Galaxy too, and wondering why they chose the scenes where Jim is showing Keko around the Spearhead for the first time... Would the rest of the Unknown Galaxy been planned to be animated as well? 

Seeing as it was a 10-minute pilot and (I assume?) they would've been pitching it to Disney/whoever my guess would be they chose that scene specifically for whatever reason (maybe they thought it did a good job of showing off the Spearhead as the show's primary location, or maybe because it focuses on the two main characters interacting). Then once the show got the greenlight I would guess they'd either go back and break the Unknown Galaxy into episodes from the beginning, or else just do new content entirely.

• 2 weeks later...
Sadie Meowsalot

A bit off-topic from what we were just discussing earlier, but given this topic is intended for the general discussion of this sort of stuff I thought I'd share anyway.

Recently I contacted Michèle Lecreux, one of the developers for the old obscure French Pirates comic LEGO LES PIRATES et la malle au trésor developed and published in conjunction with the French monthly P'tit Loup magazine by Disney, and posed some questions to her about its development. (For reference, you can find scans of the comic on this page, and it should look like this) Nothing too groundbreaking, but I figured it was worth sharing anyway:

"I am glad to send you my answers.

Let me know if you need other informations.

Best regards,
Michèle

1) Were there more mini comics like this that you or anyone else at P'tit Loup developed, or only the one?
P’tit Loup magazine published within each issue a mini booklet about a playful theme.
The booklet was sometimes sponsored. That was the case with LEGO.

2) How did development of this comic begin - that is, how did it originate and from where?
In collaboration with the advertising department, we would rather whenever possible publish games or contests than simple advertising pages.
I was then responsible for all the Disney-licensed products for French magazines when LEGO launched its “pirates” product line.
We proposed to LEGO, as we often did with advertisers, to sponsor a mini booklet. LEGO accepted the idea, and we chose the option one fotonovela + one practical work section “create your own board game using LEGO bricks”.

3) Were there any other LEGO comics planned that didn't make it to release, or any story elements, such as scripts, concepts, models, illustrations that were cut or unfinished?
No other projects of any kind were designed in collaboration with LEGO.

4) How much involvement did LEGO have in the development process, and how?
We did all the design work (script, storyboard, game designing, photo shooting and editing). We then asked LEGO, of course, for their approval of the issue before publication but they were not involved in the process."- Michèle Lecreux

• Like 3

• lol username featured this topic
  • Guest unfeatured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.