Morbius fanclub

Lair

Quisoves Potoo

Thanks once again for doing all of this, Dark_Turtle.

It's disappointing that they resorted to stock art of the sets for the comics after 1997. Seeing as 1998 is the year photo-based comics started up for MANIA magazine, I would hazard a guess that the team making them must've moved to the other publication.

A lot of the changes in World Club from 97 to 98 seem like they were made to condense it. I wonder if the budget was cut? It's too bad, in any case.

Speaking of the Time Cruisers comic specifically, I'm a little surprised that the Time Twisters didn't make an appearance. They must've been restrained to the Jan/Feb issue of Klick, plus maybe the first two pages of the March/April comic, seeing as Klick probably wouldn't have done the whole exposition part in the equivalent issue of World Club when for them comic was already ongoing.

The most recent issue doesn't disappoint. I had my money on the Flybo being abandoned, seeing as it was left in the land of a 1997 theme. I was assuming the Microzapper we've seen in the bits we have of later issues was going to replace it here, but I guess that comes later. It is sort of weird that Professor Cyber, who we last saw distraught over accidentally sending Tim somewhere in time and space, is suddenly sending out a search party not to save him, but to have him go help his brother. I'm wondering if there is maybe a piece of the story that we've missed out on from the earlier Klick issues, where Cyber and Tim meet up again and Tim intentionally decides to continue adventuring.

It seems Tim's last name has just changed to Timebuster, unfortunately without explanation.

All of these little background details on the Adventurers characters are excellent. Slyboots the retired prizefighter- it sure is a far cry from his role as the master planner in the US continuity. And Articus is Cyber's brother. Who would've thought?

I could probably go on, but here's a comic for you.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Fascinating. Little Tim is certainly a violent chap at times. Seeing the Adventurer characters as humans is rather odd. It is interesting to see how the artist interpreted the characters in as contrasted with how I imagined them.

Professor Articus seems thicker, more jovial, and more collected than I might have thought. I always imagined him as a thin, obviously eccentric fellow, rather the way he was realized in Lego Island 2. As for Miss Lovely, her face seems not to have been based off her minifigure  equivalent's. She lacks the character of her minifig. Slyboots as a bulky ex-prizefighter is odd to me, but, the facial expression aside, I can abide the realization. The Barron is good, a bit more stereotypical than his minifigure counterpart (I suppose that might be said of all the figures in these comics, Tim Timebuster excepted,) but is nonetheless well realized and rather charming. The way he shoots that scorpion just makes him seem cool to me.  He is enjoyably maniacal, perhaps best described as a strong pantomime villain.

You have a good point about the odd apparent lapse in events. Not only is Professor Cyber confident about Tim's time-travelling capabilities, Professor Arcturus thinks he is the only person who could appear in such a manner. Granted, given that Tim is timetravelling, perhaps Cyber did a bit of research and found records of him in the past, decided that he was a competent pilot, and then related his findings to Arcturus. Or perhaps Arcturus, being and archeologist, found the records. How long does this comic come after the comic with Wild West waterfall cliffhanger? ("Little does Tim know, this is a trip they did not want to take!")

I also find interesting the fact that this comic outlasted both Time Cruisers and Time Twisters, surviving to at least 1999.

EDIT: It seems that Tim was rescued from the waterfall the previous issue. So whoever wrote the script simply neglected to address the occurrences of the first issue.

This power saw cuts everything... HEH HEH HEH

He sounds like some mass murderer. :P

Wie Wahr!

(Page Two, first scene)

Did you not translate this or shall I shove it through the Bad Translator instead? (It seems to mean 'True Spirit...' or something.)

Plugged it anyway and got 'The Spirit of God.' :o

This plot... makes no sense. Now I see what you two were ranting about earlier. I'll think I'll quote myself:

WHAT IS THIS WHAT IS THIS

No really, things just get worse and worse. The situation that Tim gets himslef into gets more and more absurd...

<fridge logic> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeLogic

Wait... that waterfall is near the Indians...

SO HOW DID MADDOX GET THERE?

More to the point, how come the Indians hadn't attacked The Xtreme Team and stolen their vehicles?

This makes no sense.

None whatsoever.

And I'm only on the second page. :P

How did his Timecruiser get there? I still don't get this and probably never will because this is the weirdest thing I have ever seen in my life.

Wow, the Adventures look horrible in human form. Keep them as minifigs!

I remember something somewhere about the Red Ruby and the mummy pwning Sam and co., but I can't remember where...

Sly Boots looks really weird. It's just a black body and then a head.

"A head has appeared" :P

Mr Hates isn't much better. His pointy nose... and his chin... ugh. :P

And something about the series as a whole: What's up with that monkey? I don't get why it travels with him everywhere... I just don't get it at all.

It can't get worse!

How much worse can this plot get?

(Classic answer: "What plot?" :P)

Wie Wahr!

(Page Two, first scene)

Did you not translate this or shall I shove it through the Bad Translator instead? (It seems to mean 'True Spirit...' or something.)

Plugged it anyway and got 'The Spirit of God.' :o

Argh, I keep missing bubbles. D: I'm pretty sure it says "How true!", so he's agreeing with Maddox that it is good RES-Q comes along.

lol username

Aw, did they seriously do an Adventurers comic without Johnny Thunder? Oh well. Fun comic, wondering what comes next...

Aw, did they seriously do an Adventurers comic without Johnny Thunder? Oh well. Fun comic, wondering what comes next...

His absence is justified, as it turns out - if he had been there, the professor wouldn't have needed to call for Tim. It's all because of the Insectoids, of course.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

At least there's still two more opportunities for him to make an appearance, with Jungle and Dino Island.

Dark_Turtle, you are really knocking these out and I can't thank you enough for it. :)

Notes:

I think that the picture of Lord Sinister/Hates von Barron screaming "Oh yeah!" is one of the most hilarious and most disturbing things we've seen yet.

This is the only other time besides the sets themselves that I know of that we've seen Hotep's laser vision at work--his other depictions have been much tamer. Although he doesn't fry Sinister/Barron with it--in fact, it seems to have regrown his hand! :lol:

Armeron is a pretty widely used name for the Insectoid planet--though the book Insectoid Invasion calls it Holox--but this is the first source to place it in another dimension. Is it the same one in which Humorless resides, or Planet U, perhaps? Whatever the case, the number of known planets in the LEGO galaxies of the mainline universe is definitely shrinking...

Articus/Kilroy's search for Armeron is an interesting aspect to his character. Could his pursuit of portals into the unknown be what landed him thousands of years in the past, or his brother thousands of years in the future?

Given Hotep's ability to open portals to other worlds, it seems that Amset-Ra is not the only Pharaoh with extraterrestrial connections...can't wait to see the Insectoid adventure!

Is that a cops and robbers photocomic made entirely of MOCs in the back?

Am I missing something, or did the Stingrays manage to start a fire on the outside of an underwater base?

TC

• Like 2

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

sorry, it's a bit messy this time, as I couldn't create a new folder for it :S

@TalonCard:

it seems to have regrown his hand! :lol:

lol, I never recognized this over the last 15 years xD

ED:

Navigator Sharp is obviously Gypsy Moth, as most will already know

Techno Leon is this guy: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?M=sp024

lol username

Wow, you're on a roll with these. Cool to get another look at Holox/Armeron/Ameron, and one that seems to be relatively consistent with the US story so far. Also cool to see the Zotaxians in this art style, though I was hoping a bit for Gigabot as well - the 90s androids are some of my personal favorite space minifigures.

Those clear helmets were pretty damn awesome. I always wanted a Spyrius android.

*Goes to check the price on Bricklink*

TC

This Issue gives names for all the six Insectoids characters, but for some reason, they're entirely messed up. As mentioned in the Timecruisers comic, the female 'Queen'  is called 'Navigator Sharp', but this page calls her figure 'Techno Leon', whilst the name Sharp goes to the minifig from the Arachnoid Star Base... 8S

The correct names (according to the catalogue) are:

Techno Leon:       Planetary Prowler/Gryllo Hopper (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp020)

Lt. Maverick:        Beta Buzzer/Mosquito Scout (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp021)

Corp. Steel:         Cosmic Creeper/Formicola Collector (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp027)

Navigator Sharp:  Sonic Stinger/Vespular Stinger (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp026)

Captain Wizer:     Celestial Stinger/Hornet Protector (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp029)

Prof. Webb:          Arachnoid Star Base/Arachno Base (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp028)

The Gigabots:      http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp032

The UK names are slightly different, making these names sort of similarly confusing as the Adventurers ones, though much less known :lol:

lol username

Interesting, the Insectoids Invasion book shows Aquasharks in the swamps of Holox, and now we've got the Stingrays too. I also recall a set designer interview (I think in Brickjournal) where it was said Aquazone was always intended to take place on an alien planet (as did its unreleased predecessor Seatron), but that fact didn't make it into the marketing very much. Thanks again!

Glad to see the next issue up, not to mention the unexpected surprise of getting names for all of the Insectoids! Curious that 'Gigabot' carried over to the US (or vice versa). We've almost come around to the issue with the Rock Raiders comic that we started at. Commander Manta Ray and the other Stingrays are looking quite fishy - interesting that their yellow color is being interpreted literally rather than being translated into a more natural flesh tone.

Here's a translation of the last comic. I guess Ameron was a typo in the last one, because it's back to Armeron now.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

• Like 2

lol username

Do the catalogs provide any other names for characters in other themes? If it's not too much trouble, scans of the pages that give character names and whatnot would be cool to see - but you're already doing so much with these magazines I'm hesitant to ask.

This Issue gives names for all the six Insectoids characters, but for some reason, they're entirely messed up. As mentioned in the Timecruisers comic, the female 'Queen'  is called 'Navigator Sharp', but this page calls her figure 'Techno Leon', whilst the name Sharp goes to the minifig from the Arachnoid Star Base... 8S

Techno Leon:       Planetary Prowler/Gryllo Hopper (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp020)

Lt. Maverick:        Beta Buzzer/Mosquito Scout (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp021)

Corp. Steel:         Cosmic Creeper/Formicola Collector (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp027)

Navigator Sharp:  Sonic Stinger/Vespular Stinger (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp026)

Captain Wizer:     Celestial Stinger/Hornet Protector (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp029)

Prof. Webb:          Arachnoid Star Base/Arachno Base (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp028)

The Gigabots:      http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=sp032

The UK names are slightly different, making these names sort of similarly confusing as the Adventurers ones, though much less known :lol:

That just completely flew over my head and reading it a second time isn't going to help...

Ok, now this comic has a plot. Personally, with the weird events going on, I'd prefer it hadn't. Why would the Insectoids help this total stranger? Why would they let this little kid with a monkey fly their best spaceship? More to the point, how does Tim know their language?

Friendly request? Friendly? Well they did help him with the space suits, but why this sudden mutual bondage?

Wait- the Insectoids couldn't live on the exterior of the planet because of problems in hostility (Brickipedia). So why is their base on the outside?

Another completely different point - the Insectoids look like weird aliens. Yes, I know they are. But... they're the wrong type of weird. Their faces... ugh... oh, their torsos... ugh... the masks... ugh... the legs.... ugh... :P I only figured out they were Insectoids by their spacecrafts and I vaguely recognised 'Navigator Sharp' from the confusing post above. :P

Why is the base a spider when they were defending mosquitoes? You'd think it'd be a very very large mozzie. (After reading Brickipedia, this now makes sense, but it doesn't make sense in the comic)

Poking hole in the physics here, you can't have a hollow planet with a sun inside it without either a) burning to death if you somehow escape its gravitational field, b) the entire surface of the planet turning in on itself and burning up in the sun, c) as soon as you go through the hole, you would burn in the sun...

Or maybe I'm missing something...

And what happens if the sun decides to go supernova? Oh right, the Xotaxians would've fled by then.

I would have. :P

And you can't dodge lightning. Not even with a zero reaction delay time and a teleporting ship.This should happen, even if the speed of light here is 1km/h.

Supposing a bolt of lightning is going to hit you. You won't be able to see it before it hits you, because by the time you see the light from the lightning (which travels at the speed of light) the electrical force will have hit you, because it also travels at the speed of light.

Since you can't know of its existence before it hits you (no, it would be impossible to do anything else because nothing travels faster then the speed of light) there is no way to dodge, primarily because dodging requires the obstacle to be in your path and it is not in your path because you haven't seen it yet.

Yes, lightning does stay in the air for a few milliseconds, so you could dodge that. Good luck trying. Tim has only flown the Timecruiser before - granted, the controls of the spacecraft he's flying are like a time machine (wat). But his reaction times would be too large to be able to swerve around lightning. Furthermore, the Hornet Protector has large wings. Even if Tim was somehow able to swerve around and the reaction time of the computer wasn't long, the wings would get stabbed by lightning and Tim'd end up doing about a 180 degree turn.

:P

Wait... where does the lightning come from anyway?

I know, I know, I have incredible skills when it comes to editing text into a comic. Please, hold your applause.

I've been holding it for 9 pages now... :P

Joking aside, you are doing a great job with these magazines. It seems to take you less than a day to run the entire comic through GT, and then carefully match it up with the text.

Dark_Turtle, you're doing great as well. HOW U DO DIS SORECERY?!?!? :P

I think the comic overall has gotten to the point of 'Do I actually want to hear more?' :P A bit like Looney Tunes. :P

lol username

aidenpons, your giant walls of text are getting tiresome. These comics simply aren't worth nitpicking over; if you're looking for a "realistic" story I suggest looking somewhere other than LEGO. Thank you.

To answer a few of your questions: Insectoids Invasion depicts Exploriens working along side Zotaxians on the surface of Holox/Armeron, thus they're likely already familiar with humans, friendly towards them, speak a common language, etc. The surface of the planet isn't friendly towards life, thus they rely on voltstones from the inside of the planet to power their bases. The voltstones are disguised as bilgen bug eggs, and collect energy from the inner sun like rechargeable batteries.

aidenpons, your giant walls of text are getting tiresome. These comics simply aren't worth nitpicking over; if you're looking for a "realistic" story I suggest looking somewhere other than LEGO. Thank you.

To answer a few of your questions: Insectoids Invasion depicts Exploriens working along side Zotaxians on the surface of Holox/Armeron, thus they're likely already familiar with humans, friendly towards them, speak a common language, etc. The surface of the planet isn't friendly towards life, thus they rely on voltstones from the inside of the planet to power their bases. The voltstones are disguised as bilgen bug eggs, and collect energy from the inner sun like rechargeable batteries.

Ok, I'll stop them. It's just that I like nitpicking...

And that information helped. Thank you.

@ jamesster: once I got my copy of that collector's book a few years ago I haven't touched them a lot, as most of them were already in a relatively bad shape, but there isn't so much info given there. But no matter what, I'll most likely scan them too once I finished the magazines...

oh.... and as you mentiooned it... Kim Hagen's page on that link a few pages ago mentions the Timecruisers comic to be at about 100 pages. LEGO World Club lasted from March '97 till January 2001 giving a number of 6 x 4 = 24 Issues. As each TC comic had 4 Pages, this equals 4 x 24 = 96 Pages. There is a very unknown 'Episode 0' to it that makes it over 100 pages, but I'm not so sure if there wasn't even more to it, regarding those mysterious empty speech bubbles and some very strange commercials as well as Kim Hagen's existing artwork for the Time Twisters (who, according to my opinion, were not included as their rather brief appearance in sets and what-so-ever did not rectify a very large expansion of the story arc).

lol username

Episode 0? Very strange commercials? Sorry, I've kinda lost track of this, and reading through older posts isn't helping much. So what do we know about the publication of these comics, and what are we missing?

I'm not sure that it clarifies anything, Dark_Turtle, but I know with absolute certainty that the Austrian magazine, Klick, was publishing issues of Time Cruisers at least in 1996, and possibly even in 1995 and 1994. Kind of weird that that doesn't fit as nicely with the 100 pages estimation, though.

gallery_3221_387_72142.jpg

(not my image, it's from eBay)

EDIT: Oh yeah, here's this.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

• Like 2

WOW  you guys've been busy. I haven't had time to read all these comics yet, but i did update the imgur album to include all the translated comics thus far.

As I've not read them yet I have no comments on the storyline at current, but I did look over the art, and i must agree that Tim's faces can be priceless at times.

Link to the imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/PHoGW#0

Also I'm a little confused over the insectoid names issue. Eh.

Lt. Maverick: Beta Buzzer/Mosquito Scout (http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?M=sp021)

I have a larger and clearer picture of this guy, which I took a while back for something else. This and Gypsy Moth/Navigator Sharp are the only instectoids minifigs I own, glad to know this one has a nmae. I like to know the names of my minifigs.

This was the page I'm refering to:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/kimhagen
http://hagenillustration.carbonmade.com/projects/2072948#19

Having read it again, it simply states 'over 100 pages' which actually can mean anything, so I got it probably wrong. Those Klick magazines are interesting as the imply, that their was yet another story arc besides the one in LEGO World Club, I'm wondering if these are connected story-wise, as their art-style appears to be the same, but I'm beginning to doubt that. That 'prequel' ('?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>) I spoke of is similar in that way, although on second thought it's very 'un-canon' anyways :S (full scan later).

The strange advertisement is: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

I always wondered if that '96 issue actually existed.

'98 December Issue: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

(Has an Interview with Kim Hagen in it, although it doesn't reveal much)

• Like 3

Is that a tie-in comic with Prinzenrolle cookies? Never would have expected to see that. Since it's a prequel of sorts, was it published before LEGO World Club Magazine started up?

It is definitely really strange that that advertisement has pictures of a World Club Magazine issue from before the magazine debuted. I can't think of a reason for it - it looks like it's in German, so if it wasn't published in Germany where would it have been published? But if it never existed, why would the people making the advertisement design it instead of grabbing an image of one of the actual covers?

I'll try to translate that interview. It may be interesting even if there isn't much new in it.

• Lair changed the title to Morbius fanclub

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.