LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

2 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

I don't think it would work all too well in a game like this, but it might be interesting.

If you developed the 'game' as a room-scale experience, it might work.

Am I interested in the idea of VR? Yes, but the one thing stopping me is the high prices of the VR equipment (HTC Vive, I'm looking at your $799 price tag).

17 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

Just wondering, is there any interest in VR support in the future?

I don't think it would work all too well in a game like this, but it might be interesting.

Considering how I don't like VR technology all that much, I'm leaning towards no.

I would kinda like an expansion of the Island, like adding other islands or maybe adding stuff from Island 2 in the original style of 1 (I hated that dumb art shift).

that's really pretty cool though i would like to help with the project by making models or graphics and such

• lol username featured this topic

I apologise for bumping, but I have made progress on something brought up earlier;

On 4/3/2016 at 7:48 PM, Xiron said:

This cannot however be done so easily with the sky colour & lighting panel. Does anyone want to take up the task of making an HD version of that?

Meh!:

FOBy8rz.png

I am aware it looks ugly as all hell (and the moon is slightly inaccurate to the real game) but it was the best I could do this afternoon.

I did try to do the image in the center (currently a green screen), but it is hard to make out the complex shapes of the building silhouettes due to the low quality of the interior images, so I eventually gave up.

...but until someone makes a better version, this can work as a placeholder.

• Like 1

bphillips09

Hey everyone, sorry for the massive delay. 

I unexpectedly had to go out of town for a while and then immediately started summer classes when I got back home so I haven't had much free time lately. Sorry I didn't keep my word on having a build out "in less than a week". That's completely my bad. 

To everyone talking about integrating VR: I'm considering adding the option for people with SteamVR-capable HMDs to use them in the island with basic teleportation and such, but haven't had the time to test it out myself. I'll keep looking into this option in the future though, and agree that this isn't exactly the type of game that would/should/could utilize what room-scale VR has to offer.

@Ben24x7 I like that image as a placeholder!

To everyone else, sorry again for the delay. I definitely haven't abandoned this project!

I also had lots of issues with unauthorized access to my PC (you can read about it here) and had to basically wipe the PC as a precaution. I didn't lose any game files or anything, but that added to me being set back when it comes to all my Unity games (including this one).

Just wanted to give y'all an update, and say that I am working on LEGO Island Redux still, although updates will (obviously) not be as frequent as they were when the project was first started.

bphillips09

Updated to v0.9.1. The changes and links are in the initial post. (32-bit support!)

v0.9.2 with Mac/Linux support coming later today or tomorrow!

• Like 1

bphillips09

Updated to v0.9.2. The changes and links are in the initial post.

Highlights: 

• In-game settings menu (alpha)
  • 32/64-bit (universal) builds for all computing platforms
  • Decreased load times
  • Minor bug fixes

On 7/9/2016 at 3:54 PM, LegoRacersFanForever said:

Holy crap! This looks amazing! Fantastic work, I love seeing the Island in HD! It's so pretty!

Thanks for the kind words!

@Xiron Can you send me the 3D interiors you've created? I want to start trying to implement them since they'll probably take some time to do so.

Ephemeralic
3 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Thanks for the kind words!

My pleasure!

Is there anyway to ride the car that's parked outside the Gas Station?

bphillips09
1 minute ago, LegoRacersFanForever said:

My pleasure!

Is there anyway to ride the car that's parked outside the Gas Station?

Yes, sorry I forgot to state that in the controls. You can press E to get in, to toggle First/Third-person, and F to get out. With the skateboard, you can walk onto it to get on and press F to get off.

The Car controls are very early alpha and aren't very good right now, just FYI.

Ephemeralic
13 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Yes, sorry I forgot to state that in the controls. You can press E to get in, to toggle First/Third-person, and F to get out. With the skateboard, you can walk onto it to get on and press F to get off.

The Car controls are very early alpha and aren't very good right now, just FYI.

Great! I'm having fun driving around the Island now! :D

Also, if you'd like, I could redraw some signs from the game such as Octan, because they are kinda low quality and don't fit in with the game too well in my opinion. I'd love to redraw the logos in HD so they blend in. It's all up to you though.

bphillips09
5 minutes ago, LegoRacersFanForever said:

Great! I'm having fun driving around the Island now! :D

Also, if you'd like, I could redraw some signs from the game such as Octan, because they are kinda low quality and don't fit in with the game too well in my opinion. I'd love to redraw the logos in HD so they blend in. It's all up to you though.

Sure! That would be awesome. I can't promise a version number when I'll be able to add them in, though, but hopefully I'll have some time soon.

Ephemeralic
Just now, bphillips09 said:

Sure! That would be awesome. I can't promise a version number when I'll be able to add them in, though, but hopefully I'll have some time soon.

Great! I assume you ripped the signs from the original game, which is ovbiously not the best quality, so I'll get started on them now.

These logos include:

Octan, Pizzeria, Super 12, The Little Bank Logo, and I'll try to find some more but these are the main ones I'll accomplish.

bphillips09
Just now, LegoRacersFanForever said:

Great! I assume you ripped the signs from the original game, which is ovbiously not the best quality, so I'll get started on them now.

These logos include:

Octan, Pizzeria, Super 12, The Little Bank Logo, and I'll try to find some more but these are the main ones I'll accomplish.

The signs and logos were all attached to their respective buildings when they were extracted from the original game. You can take your time creating them since I'm not in any hurry :)

Thanks!

Ephemeralic

Here is the first tiny batch, which includes Octan.

The Octan logos were fairly easy to recreate, as they are just two different objects and then text, so they didn't take a while.

I recreated them into two files, one logo sideways, and one logo as normal. They are both used on their different buildings respectively. These were rendered in HD 1080p.

LINKhttps://postimg.org/gallery/nwspilrs/9c92c12b/

Fluffy Cupcake
46 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

@Xiron Can you send me the 3D interiors you've created? I want to start trying to implement them since they'll probably take some time to do so.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand sent. Hope to see it soon!

Ephemeralic

OK! The logo for the convenience store "Super 2" is done. If you'd like me to redo it, feel free to ask! :D I love constructive criticism and to get better!

This was a very tough one as there are no images on google or the font is nowhere to be found, so I had to try to replicate the font and everything.

LINKhttps://postimg.org/image/g6v9pulw1/

bphillips09
16 hours ago, Xiron said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand sent. Hope to see it soon!

Working on it now. For the observation tower, can you put the elevator hole on the right side? Also, could you make the hole 1/2 the current size?

Here's what I mean:

LeyZMEJ.png

Everything else is perfect so far!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Xiron Here's a link to a short video I made of walking around the inside. 

One thing I noticed is that the scale is off for some objects. Initially the player was too tall to fit through the rotating door, so I made the entire room bigger, but then I noticed the exit door was huge, especially compared to the windows. However, the original game was pretty much the same so it's not even on my list of things to worry about fixing. 

Overall, I'm really impressed with these models and how it's turning out so far!

• Like 3

Fluffy Cupcake

Oops. Well I derped that one up. xD

The scale matched the one on the bottom floor, and I suppose part of the reason I made it so big in the first place was so that wall wasn't so plain and empty. While revisiting this just now, I did think of a way I could attempt to make that side of the building a bit more accurate though, even after downscaling it by 50%.

Here is the new vs. old sizes.

newvsoldelev.png

• Like 1

bphillips09
5 hours ago, Xiron said:

Oops. Well I derped that one up. xD

The scale matched the one on the bottom floor, and I suppose part of the reason I made it so big in the first place was so that wall wasn't so plain and empty. While revisiting this just now, I did think of a way I could attempt to make that side of the building a bit more accurate though, even after downscaling it by 50%.

Here is the new vs. old sizes.

newvsoldelev.png

I like that! The one on the right is the new size, correct?

If so, could you make it just a little taller? I'm currently using a capsule collider on the player so the collision points are slightly above pepper's head. Actually, you might not even need to make it any taller, I'm sure I could work with that.

Also, (sorry that I keep asking for things, but I'm not good at 3D modeling whatsoever...), could you make faces for the outside of the interior? While the "interior" object itself is going to be contained within the building's exterior (gonna figure out a way to make it seamless), because the planes only have faces on one side, they cast shadows. I've disabled shadow rendering for the things that don't need them (like walls), but the directional "sun" light bleeds into the interior as if it was wide open.

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

Have we talked about jumping physics yet? It feels a tad bit on the moon side, staying in the air slightly to long it feels. May it be gravity is the problem? I feel like falling in general - or something relating to it, is a tad bit off too.

bphillips09
11 hours ago, Xiron said:

Have we talked about jumping physics yet? It feels a tad bit on the moon side, staying in the air slightly to long it feels. May it be gravity is the problem? I feel like falling in general - or something relating to it, is a tad bit off too.

I noticed that, too. I'm going to tweak it to make it a little more realistic.

Basil the Batlord

I tested the Linux version today and it works (Ubuntu 14.04). It is a bit more laggy than on my Windows distribution but I think that has to do with my graphics card. The only thing I did not understand is that the game launched with the LEGO Island REDUX.x86 executable, but it crashed using the LEGO Island REDUX.x86_64 executable, while my computer is 64 bit.

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.