LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

Fluffy Cupcake

Yes. The garage/construction room part of the station is inside. If you look at the way the octan gas symbol is on the floor is on both provided angles, you will find the garage/construction room is on the wall opposite to where the entrance door is, which totally rips keeping a ratio right down. I'm kinda thinking we should just dis that and put it where the garage door is shown on the exterior - the left side of the building.

Fluffy Cupcake

What you have going there actually doesn't look too shabby for a design. Keep a copy of it on hand before making any drastic changes to accommodate the original design, for it may still may be used.

17 minutes ago, Xiron said:

What you have going there actually doesn't look too shabby for a design. Keep a copy of it on hand before making any drastic changes to accommodate the original design, for it may still may be used.

I just started a new one with the 4:1 ratio next to it, it will be huge but at least the interior will have the space it needs to turn out right.

-----

@Xiron this should be large enough for everything I safely assume xD

http://prnt.sc/df4fpd

Edited by DarkianMaker
Preventing doublepost

I love the interior work you're doing. I'm excited!

Also, I wanted to give you guys a quick peek at something I'm working on for v0.9.5+ ;) 

(this is in real-time)

rriA9VN.gif

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

Also, I wanted to give you guys a quick peek at something I'm working on for v0.9.5+ ;) 

...errmm... Someone good with Unity out there might have a better idea of what that was, since my best guess is that they're clouds.

EDIT: Or... maybe its realtime traffic?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Alright, that looks mega awesome! Any chance you can send the builds my way?

You have Lego Worlds on Steam? If yes, then I can definitely send them to you I think

This is coming along in such a nice way, really impressed with all the work. My 2 cents, I think it's okay to change the exterior of some of the buildings to fit the interiors.

15 minutes ago, RocketRacer said:

My 2 cents, I think it's okay to change the exterior of some of the buildings to fit the interiors.

well, it seems like they're going for a completely faithful recreation of the original game first and foremost. Maybe after that's done they or someone else will expand on the island like that, but for now probably the only thing that's gonna change is adding to interiors like they've done.

Fluffy Cupcake
1 hour ago, DarkianMaker said:

You have Lego Worlds on Steam?

Yup.

34 minutes ago, RocketRacer said:

My 2 cents, I think it's okay to change the exterior of some of the buildings to fit the interiors.

The exterior of the information centre got slightly modified to accomdate the rotating doors. Aside from that, I don't think we're going to change too much.

Ringtail is right on the matter that the primary focus for this project at the moment is to be as recreational as possible.

51 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

well, it seems like they're going for a completely faithful recreation of the original game first and foremost. Maybe after that's done they or someone else will expand on the island like that, but for now probably the only thing that's gonna change is adding to interiors like they've done.

For now the focus seems to be with just faithfully recreating Lego Island itself with upgraded interiors and all. More stuff might be in the future but that's something to be looked at in the future. One thing that we should be pitching ideas about is how to still implement the mini-games from the original LI which relied heavily on the player not being able to go through grass.

37 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Yup.

Shall we talk about Steam connections in PM?

Fluffy Cupcake
4 minutes ago, DarkianMaker said:

Shall we talk about Steam connections in PM?

My Steam info is on my RRU profile already (left side panel). ;)

4 minutes ago, DarkianMaker said:

One thing that we should be pitching ideas about is how to still implement the mini-games from the original LI which relied heavily on the player not being able to go through grass.

It might be a good idea to cripple the speed of vehicles on the grass to some extent. You know, for road encouragement.

1 minute ago, Xiron said:

My Steam info is on my RRU profile already (left side panel). ;)

Roger that.

1 minute ago, Xiron said:

It might be a good idea to cripple the speed of vehicles on the grass to some extent. You know, for road encouragement.

That will cut back some cheatsy shortcuts but not necessarily fix the entire issue though

10 hours ago, DarkianMaker said:

That will cut back some cheatsy shortcuts but not necessarily fix the entire issue though

I was thinking maybe having mission-specific roadblocks/etc to only allow certain paths.

Fluffy Cupcake

Speaking of roadblocks, last night I was going suggest putting fences alongside the road's edge, but as of right now I'm still trying to visualize how blocking would work on the large open grass areas.

14 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

I was thinking maybe having mission-specific roadblocks/etc to only allow certain paths.

Like an extension to the roadblocks already present in Vanilla LI?

14 hours ago, Xiron said:

Speaking of roadblocks, last night I was going suggest putting fences alongside the road's edge, but as of right now I'm still trying to visualize how blocking would work on the large open grass areas.

Well if those fence are alongside the road everywhere like a railing which prevents cars from going off-road it could work with the vehicular missions (although the pizza delivery missions can just jump over them) Even if this isn't an idea for the entire road network I would advise to put fences at the sea-side of the road from the Hospital to the mountain, I have flown into the sea with the car so many times now xD.

7 hours ago, Xiron said:

Hmmm, think we'll need this calendar picture in HD? Or should I just render a custom image?

7 hours ago, Xiron said:

Edit: Waifu2x is amazing.

That is amazing :D

---

Furthermore from my end of things:

- Police Station interior is in the works but I needed sleep last night so I might continue today xD

- This month I have to focus on a work project or two so I might be off the grid at times but I will be able to fully delve into the project come 2017

- After the Police Station interior is done I'm going to work on the Post Office, Super2 and Bank interiors (and after that probably the residential interiors) but it brings me to some questions :)

What functions are the Post Office, the Super2 and the Bank going to have? Also, might there be a possibility in the future to provide a multiplayer mode for the racing mini-games?

1 hour ago, Legorza said:

Hey @bphillips09 do you need any one to help recreate LEGO objects for the 2nd floor of the Information center? Also could I design the inside of the post office?

1. The Information center doesn't really have a second floor, it just shows a random video like the original game did when you went to the second floor. Although it could be an idea to discuss actually adding a second floor to the Information Center (although then again there should be a conversation about what the function would be of that floor)

2. Interior designs can be sent in by anyone, in other words, I didn't grab the sole right to it by just being the first. If you want to design it, design it and share it here (in-progress shots really help with people having an idea of what you're doing and allows adjustment suggestions before you've completely finished)

Aside from those points, I'm done with work for the day and will be working on my interior designs this (West European) evening :)

Fluffy Cupcake
8 hours ago, DarkianMaker said:

Also, might there be a possibility in the future to provide a multiplayer mode for the racing mini-games?

I know you might have meant local, but online play = all my yes.

4 hours ago, Legorza said:

Hey @bphillips09 do you need any one to help recreate LEGO objects for the 2nd floor of the Information center? 

Also could I design the inside of the post office?

Yes, you can help out with that if you want. I'm the only modeler on board and could use a hand.

I did say I wanted interior designs ideas from everyone, not just a single person, so feel free to make one up and we'll discuss which design we like best here in this topic.

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

I know you might have meant local, but online play = all my yes.

I did mean online play ;)

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

Yes, you can help out with that if you want. I'm the only modeler on board and could use a hand.

I did say I wanted interior designs ideas from everyone, not just a single person, so feel free to make one up and we'll discuss which design we like best here in this topic.

Like I also sort of said, freedom of input y'all!

For now I would also point out that we are the number one featured channel thanks to this massive surge of posts in the past days :3

-----

Well, after making two screw ups with the measurements and after that changed my mind about the layout of the interior I have come far but not as far as I would've liked for the amount of time spent. I have to stop now since Lego Worlds does run smooth on my PC but also makes it sound like a jet engine and there's people trying to sleep (also, have to go to work tomorrow). What I can show for now is the almost perfect rendition of the Police Station entrance.

http://prnt.sc/dfspuu

I'll see your reactions tomorrow guys :)

Edited by DarkianMaker
Preventing doublepost

Any kind of multiplayer (whether it's multiplayer minigames or general multiplayer roaming) is definitely on my "list of functionality to eventually have". However, due to the sheer complexity of real-time networking, physics, translation, and client/server syncing, this is somewhat far down the list and will not be an easy task. While Unity does somewhat-simplify real-time multiplayer networking, it's still very complicated. And while I do have multiplayer development experience, I don't have nearly as much as someone in the networking-specific development field would.

Also, I wanted to get y'alls opinion on a few things. As the game's features grow, so does the size of the game (disk space). The current release is around 80MB compressed and about 200MB uncompressed. Do you guys think that Redux should eventually have a "patching/updating" system similar to something like the one League of Legends has? This way, the entire game does not have to be downloaded again every time there is an update. 

Also, I'm sure this has been asked before here (on RRU), but does anyone know if any of the original bounces exist for the music in Lego Island? It would be great to have some better quality versions of the tunes that accompany an "HD remake" of a 1997 game. If not, do you guys think we should recreate the music? (Similar to how that Super Mario 64 HD Remake has a modernized/jazz-version of the original song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgVH0N6ao7Q). 

EDIT: Last thing, can someone who is good at animating recreate the walking animation from LI? I tried doing it inside of Unity and it just does not come out well. If not, I can eventually figure something out. Also, @Xiron has the best FBX rig that I've worked with so far, so using his model might be best. I can import animations from most major software (Native Maya (.mb or .ma), 3D Studio Max (.max),Cinema 4D (.c4d) files, and generic FBX files). 

Edited by bphillips09

Fluffy Cupcake
3 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

Do you guys think that Redux should eventually have a "patching/updating" system similar to something like the one League of Legends has? This way, the entire game does not have to be downloaded again every time there is an update. 

Also, I'm sure this has been asked before here (on RRU), but does anyone know if any of the original bounces exist for the music in Lego Island?

A patcher would be a nice thing to have, yes.

Any chances of getting better quality versions of LI's musical score (the huge chunk Lorin Nelson composed) is gulp gulp gone. At least we have Bricks Are Toast though. The Torpedoes also are currently hosting Lucky You on their site (its album art, why. I don't need cleavage with my LEGO lol .-.), they also have other songs across other albums too. Has anyone actually contacted the other composers? Aside from Nelson, these other people also played a part in the music scene: Michael Blakeman, Kathleen Enright/Henry Salvia (I looked em up, and it looks like Kathleen Salvia and Henry Salvia are still making music together), David Huston, Peter Dunne, Monica Pasqual, Annie Wallis, Dave Barrows and Decal.

Edit: Just found some interesting information. The parrots in LEGO Island are called Mr. & Ms. Polywana. Kathleen & Henry put their music under "Polywana Records", their logo has a parrot on it. With this information I conclude that Kathleen & Henry are music making parrots.

I will look into creating a patching system in the near future. For v0.9.5, I've already implemented a "check for update" feature, too.

That's a shame about most of the tracks being lost, but I bet we could recreate most of them in the long run. I haven't contacted any of the other composers, but I'll see if I can find some contact information to post here.

Edit: Also, would it be beneficial at all to create a new thread here just for releases?

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.