Mafia: The Game

Fluffy Cupcake

Quisoves Potoo

Edit: An important question has come up from anonymous that concerns the current and all future mafia games.

A thought just occurred that I had never thought of before. Can the detective personally interact with someone they have inspected letting them know that he/she is on their side, with no side information attached? This would help cause unnecessary blind death to the one that tries and help the people.

What does ??? mean by "no side information attached?" It's well within the power of any individual to PM another, claiming to be the Detective. Whether or not the other player believes him is another matter. For example, the Mafia could contact a player claiming to be the Detective, and could tell him that he knows he's innocent. Provided that player isn't the Doctor or the Detective (for the sake of example, assume that the Doctor is dead and the Detective has made himself obvious to the Mafia,) the Mafia can dupe him. That's what the Mafia does, after all. It's up to the player to be wary.

[read: HURRY UP YOU GUYS] l405G.jpg

GOTTAGOFAST

I'm voting Mael St'ro, as final.

Honestly, I'm trying to help you guys see the light of tomorrow, but you refuse anything I throw at you. While I can't throw any proof to make it up to you guys, what I can say as one of my last statements, is that I have no problem with Quis, he is quite the good fellow. ;)

P.S. You guys need to upgrade your hint detecting skills.

We still need nog, JJ, and PT's [final] votes.

Edit: An important question has come up from anonymous that concerns the current and all future mafia games.

A thought just occurred that I had never thought of before. Can the detective personally interact with someone they have inspected letting them know that he/she is on their side, with no side information attached? This would help cause unnecessary blind death to the one that tries and help the people.

If what Triple Mark means by "no side information attached" is that the detective can get a special verification (probably either by means of the host, or by means of the preventing people from falsely claiming to be the detective) then I can say, at least within the game I am hosting, definitely no.

No one else has the privilege of getting automatically trusted. The whole point of the game is to try to convince people and to bluff. If you make it so people can't bluff or make the detective have convincing powers, you take away the very point of the game. You would take away from a lot of the fun of the game.

If that happens, I simply will not host.

Now I'm not sure if the issue would come down to voting, or whether you, as topic starter would have special authority, but (if understand the issue correctly) you have my two cents worth.

Fluffy Cupcake

@QP; As a past mafia, I've never done or thought of such actions before, as I wasn't sure if we were confined to this topic or not, although keeping it within here where everyone can see wasn't strongly enforced. Apparently this person knew nothing of the outside rules either.

Also, what if the detective had the narrator as backup for proof in the PM? :P

I do have to say your point of fun removal is valid Sea.

Quisoves Potoo

As a past mafia, I've never done or thought of such actions before, as I wasn't sure if we were confined to this topic or not, although keeping it within here wasn't strongly enforced

When Seaborgium was Mafia, he, in a desperate gambit, duped Maelstromislander into voting for someone (I think it was you) by claiming to be the Detective. Mael, after Xiron's subsequent death, reveled to all and sundry that he had been duped, and it was curtains for Seaborg. No one objected to his little ploy then, so I'm pretty certain that we've simply accepted that the Personal Messenger is a valid extension of the game.

This would help cause unnecessary blind death to the one that tries and help the people.

Yes, misinformation can cause unnecessary deaths. That's the challenge of the game. The challenge is what makes the game fun. Unnecessary deaths are exactly what you the players, not the host, are trying to avoid.

• Like 1

MaelstromIslander

This would help cause unnecessary blind death to the one that tries and help the people.

Yes, misinformation can cause unnecessary deaths. That's the challenge of the game. The challenge is what makes the game fun. Unnecessary deaths are exactly what you the players, not the host, are trying to avoid.

Correct, the misinformation and incorrect trust is what makes this game fun. When i noticed seaborgium tricked me, it made the game much more fun.

Also, i was just about to say another suspicious thing about you, but no. You obviously don't like it when i do that so i'm just going to hide it until future reference. Sorry for constantly pointing my finger. :P

Stuff about detectives:

Didn't someone dupe Mael a while ago, sending him a [false] PM saying "I'm the detective" and Mael got really confused when somebody else was proven to be the detective?  l405G.jpg (No offence Mael, I'm just using this as an example).

To me, that's part of the fun of Mafia. What shouldn't happen is somebody saying "You can talk to [the narrator] and he'll say "yep, I'm the detective."" That is simply breaking the game because there is no way to validate their claim: you can't ask the narrator "is this guy the detective?" Still, you take that at face value and if he turned out to be lying you ain't gonna trust him next time.

Also, to echo Jimbob: this is a game. l405G.jpg

[/GoodGriefSomebodyMuchBeAPowerfulNecromancerAsI'veComeBackFromTheDeadAGoodThreeTimesNow] l405G.jpg

Fluffy Cupcake

[/GoodGriefSomebodyMuchBeAPowerfulNecromancerAsI'veComeBackFromTheDeadAGoodThreeTimesNow] l405G.jpg

I, with the help of accusers, have dragged this first day for two pages, going on three. :P Is that a record?

Well it seems we got an answer to the anon question, can we resume the game now?

The last post before off-game-topic was:

[read: HURRY UP YOU GUYS]

GOTTAGOFAST

Honestly, I'm trying to help you guys see the light of tomorrow, but you refuse anything I throw at you. While I can't throw any proof to make it up to you guys, what I can say as one of my last statements, is that I have no problem with Quis, he is quite the good fellow. ;)

P.S. You guys need to upgrade your hint detecting skills

MaelstromIslander

I, with the help of accusers, have dragged this first day for two pages, going on three. :P Is that a record?

Well it seems we got an answer to the anon question, can we resume the game now?

The last post before off-game-topic was:

[read: HURRY UP YOU GUYS]

GOTTAGOFAST

P.S. You guys need to upgrade your hint detecting skills

I'm fine with you voting me. I've obviously been acting a bit suspicious myself.

Didn't someone dupe Mael a while ago, sending him a [false] PM saying "I'm the detective" and Mael got really confused when somebody else was proven to be the detective?

No, i wasn't confused. I thought he was the detective until i ended up finding that he was really the mafia when he was begging me to save him. Thats all i remember.

(No offence Mael, I'm just using this as an example)

Uhm, that didn't offend me at least a little bit... :P

Alright so there's about 6 votes, 3 are on xiron, and the rest are on me, noghiri, and jimbob. I hope i counted all the votes correctly.

Xiron: 3

Noghiri: 1

Jimbob: 1

Me: 1

So, is there still some people who haven't voted yet or is there a vote cap and there has to be a certain amount of votes?

Fluffy Cupcake

I'm fine with you voting me. I've obviously been acting a bit suspicious myself.

So, is there still some people who haven't voted yet or is there a vote cap and there has to be a certain amount of votes?

xP, I could say more, but I don't want to.

There never was been a cap. The only vote remaining, and any message in general, is from Phantom Terror, he has had several days to come on. I'd say, if he doesn't get on shortly, that Sea should drop him, and reassign his position (should it be special) to someone else.

*looks at last online date* Phantom Terror was on earlier today...

xP, I could say more, but I don't want to.

There never was been a cap. The only vote remaining, and any message in general, is from Phantom Terror, he has had several days to come on. I'd say, if he doesn't get on shortly, that Sea should drop him, and reassign his position (should it be special) to someone else.

*looks at last online date* Phantom Terror was on earlier today...

If my count is right it doesn't really matter, you have critical mass of final votes.

Fluffy Cupcake

And now it's time for suspicious posts with Xiron, the part of the game were Xiron comes out and makes, a revealing post.

If my count is right it doesn't really matter, you have critical mass of final votes.

Is that so? Well in that case, since I'm voted off, and you won't let me live in exile but rather die as a result, let me do one last silly act what to show you all what you want to see soooooo badly as a reality. *pulls out waffle shaped smoke bomb* *uses*  ESCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE! *dashes off*

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

You know, when art starts to greatly overtake pace, I start to wonder if you should be doing that for this round at all.

I'm sure the excitment has died down by now.

Quisoves Potoo

You know, when art starts to greatly overtake pace, I start to wonder if you should be doing that for this round at all.

I'm sure the excitment has died down by now.

Seaborgium's been quite busy. Give him a break. Besides, with all due respect, it's not as if any of you were clamoring for this speedy a game last round.

With finals and thesis, amongst many other things, this time has been unexpectedly stressful. I'll get a scene in today.

"FOOLS, all of you! Do you not see? The killer is among you! He is your puppeteer; he leads you all to do as he wishes! But you will die, every last one of you. I too shall die. I am not such a fool to think myself immortal. But it will not be by your grubby hands! You will never take me! Never, DO YOU HEAR?  NEVER!"

The frenzied Xiron ran from the crowd, hoping in vain to escape.

"Xiron, old chap, you hardly make a good case for yourself. I do not desire your death, but maddened threats will hardly acquit you!". The Sheepborg, Mr. Q.P tried to calm the doomed waffle. "Come back, we'll have a fair trial! And even if you are condemned, I smuggled some illegal foie-gras  and an '78 bottle of radium wine past the blockage; you'll go out with a good last meal! That's the way to do it, old man."

"NEVER! I'LL NEVER BE IN THE POWER OF YOUR GRUBBY LITTLE MOB! I'll escape! You'll see! I'll see the galaxy! I'll see things you'd never believe; I'll see ships burn, off the shoulder of Orion; watch C-beams gliTAAARGH!!!"

A blast of plasma ended Xiron's rant. The hysterical yells of condemned man were replaced by silence and the smell of burning circuitry.  The "corpse" of one, who was perhpas more machine than man, lay on the barren ground, killed by one of the colonists.

The silence of space(for the colony's artificial atmosphere was too small to develop wind) lasted for two minutes. Finally Mael spoke up, "Well that's the last of him. I'm going to bed". "We'll examine the body in the morning." Jimbob added.

And so, as the ice planet Vertumnus ᶲ rose in the sky, its silver rays falling on the dead Xiron, the colonists left the scene to sleep, hoping that they had chosen rightly.

They hadn't.

• Like 4

Ariadne Δ7 turned once more towards the star that provided it light. Because of its internal motor, the asteroid faced the star every twelve hours in imitation of the colonists ancient fatherland. For, like the earthlings of old, these colonist scheduled their lives according to alternating sets of twelve hours. The hours of light the colonists called 'day' as had their forefathers before them; the hours of darkness were called 'night'.  To the day they portioned their business, as had their forefathers; to night night was appointed rest.

But is was not so lately. Night was not restful, but a time of fear.

For a killer had taken the life of their fellow, a man named Pons. In their fear they hanged Xiron, whose behavior they found suspicious. That night they slept and wished to believe in judgement. They hoped that all of them would awake the next morning.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One of them didn't. Jimbob Jeffers was found decapitated in a rather unsavory manner. A brief search of his body proved that he was simply another hapless victim.

To compound the tragedy, a investigation of Xiron's 'body' showed that he had investigative equipment. They had executed their most valuable ally.

"If not Xiron... then who?" wondered many.

So it was decided: a second execution would take place; there would be a fourth, but hopefully final death.

I vote Phantom but not final. He did attempt to deflect attention towards Xiron a mite hastily... but I lack information to give a better vote.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.